Fake console from second hand store, rights?

Earlier I saw a console from my childhood and thought I would treat myself even more so since it was a imported model style (which should of raised warning flags) I paid £39.99 for this, I did have another warning sign when I purchased it seemed to weight pretty much nothing.

When I got it home I realised it was a fake, modern one with a sd card slot for adding more games.

There is official clone hardware out there but that is easy to spot due to logos on them.

I want to take it back but with it being a second hand store (Cash Convertors) do I have same rights as a regular store?

I did some research and these clones can be bought from China for £20 delivered!

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds like it’s not a fake but a reproduction?

Anyway if bought in store it is sold as seen. Sounds like the signs were there for you to inspect.
  • OP if the product bears any Trademarks (Nintendo, Sony, etc) and isn't legit just take it back and see what they say.

Big chain or single store? Big chain is likely to be more helpful.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Interesting, but I didn't get a chance to handle the machine until after payment, even then the official one had a part that slides off at side, this one didn't and had a card reader in its place. not visible unless you looked right at it very close up. not sure how you would word it but I say fake because the hardware inside is not the same as any official reproductions, and its not an official product, the power and video ports are identical to original.

Even the store label has the real brand and model on it.

OP if the product bears any Trademarks (Nintendo, Sony, etc) and isn't legit just take it back and see what they say.

Big chain or single store? Big chain is likely to be more helpful.

Cash Convetors, a franchise.

And yes is indistingishable from real hardware apart from the sd card slot, and has all the logos, one on top, a "official" sticker on base, logos on controllers.
  • dekaspace wrote: »
    Interesting, but I didn't get a chance to handle the machine until after payment, even then the official one had a part that slides off at side, this one didn't and had a card reader in its place. not visible unless you looked right at it very close up. not sure how you would word it but I say fake because the hardware inside is not the same as any official reproductions, and its not an official product, the power and video ports are identical to original.

Even the store label has the real brand and model on it.

Cash Convetors, a franchise.

And yes is indistingishable from real hardware apart from the sd card slot, and has all the logos, one on top, a "official" sticker on base, logos on controllers.

Take it back and see what they say (don't get antsy with them, that never, ever helps), if no joy then start talking about trading standards getting involved.
  • What games machine is it? There are some official "repros" out there - for example Nintendo have the NES and Super NES as "Micro" versions. You can also get the official retro Sega Megadrive. So are you sure its "fake"?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can also get the official retro Sega Megadrive

Official retro? I've still got an original. (And a Dragon 32 computer).

/reminisces
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    dekaspace wrote: »
    but I didn't get a chance to handle the machine until after payment, even then the official one had a part that slides off at side, this one didn't and had a card reader in its place.

So at what point did you notice this? It sounds like you noticed in the store?
  • DoaM wrote: »
    Official retro? I've still got an original. (And a Dragon 32 computer).

/reminisces
    Whilst the reimagined hardware comes with lots of built in games, unfortunately that does not include Goldeneye :(

My wife keeps trying to insist I clear my archive collection of "tech". 20+ years of mobile phones, consoles, laptops and so on. Plus my beloved collection of Crash magazines (in which I once had a letter published #geek).
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    unfortunately that does not include Goldeneye :( .

#cough - snes emulator #cough
  • preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    If my local cash converters is anything to go by they will wriggle out of a refund any way possible
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure