Smart Meters.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Anthorn wrote: »
    I'll also chime in: SMETS2 becomes outdated if it has not already done so because SMETS1 meters will have their software updated over the air which enables them to connect with the new DCC.
    Not true -SMETS1 meters will have to have their own stand alone system -they will NOT BE adopted into the DCC database PLUS some SMETS1 meters will have to be replaced as they can't be upgraded.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Not true -SMETS1 meters will have to have their own stand alone system -they will NOT BE adopted into the DCC database PLUS some SMETS1 meters will have to be replaced as they can't be upgraded.

They will also have to have one-2-one connection with the DCC as they will not be integrated into the SMETS2 Wide Area Network. I am sure that there are also a myriad of other technical differences between the SMETS1 and 2 protocols. The latter runs to over 800 pages.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    brewerdave wrote: »

Not true. Or conversely if it is true SMETS1 smart meters will need to be ripped out and replaced with SMETS2 meters in order for them to be fully compatible with the new DCC network. In addition why on earth would there be an over the air update of SMETS1 smart meters to make them compatible with the new DCC if that's going to be a complete and utter waste of time.

Really, you need to think before you rush in.
    we've had an update about this recently! If you've got a SMETS1 meter, when SMETS2 is rolled out, you won't need a meter change or engineer visit. They are going to be linked up to the DCC remotely.
    https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meter-compatibility-67/how-will-smets1-meters-be-updated-when-smets2-is-rolled-out-1944

If we want to be strict about it we could speculate that SMETS1 smart meters will link to the new DCC instead of directly connecting. But really there is no difference: If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck it's probably a duck.

What remains is when SMETS1 meters will connect to the DCC. I've seen dates of December 2018, December 2019 and when the rollout of SMETS2 is complete.

But consider the problem with Scottish Power SMETS1 smart meters: Half-hourly smart readings used to work but now they don't and customers now have to specify daily readings. The reason stated is that half-hourly readings is not compatible with the DCC. So from that draw your own conclusion!
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Alenna wrote: »
    Hope I can ask a question here while everyone is discussing smart meters. We have a shop and are looking for a business electricity provider who will install a smart meter for us, as the current meter is in a place we don’t have much access to. I wanted to make sure that we have a second- generation meter SMET2, but the company I spoke to, OPUS, tell me that those metres are only available to residential customers, not business and that business users other meters (he seemed to imply a completely different, simpler type for businesses) Is this true? And if so what happens if you want to switch supplier? Will the smart meter work?

Yes, this is true. I manage our Village Hall which has a commercial supply. We have just had the old spinning wheel type meter replaced this morning with one that can be remotely read. I had a long discussion with the guy who was fitting it as to how it worked

This is a complete separate system to the SMETs system and is only for commercial premises and has been in place for sometime.

The meter is equipped with a multi network SIM card and will choose the mobile network with the strongest signal. The data finally ends up back with your supplier.

If you change supplier the data is then sent to your new supplier.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    I've had mine installed a few weeks now and although initially apprehensive, I don't see what the fuss was all about. It's really good to be able to see this...

https://imgur.com/rSIP7Fa
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    It's really good to be able to see this...
    I can imagine.

Adding the daily costs shown by the histogram (generally rounded down to the nearest pound) I get:
    Gas: 5 + 4 + 3 + 1 + 2 + 5 + 5 + 5 + 6 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = £64
    Electricity: 3 + 3 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 4 + 3 + 3 + 3 = £38

Giving a total cost of approximately £102 yet the combined cost calculated by the meter is £68.82!
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Chino wrote: »
    I can imagine.

Adding the daily costs shown by the histogram (generally rounded down to the nearest pound) I get:

Giving a total cost of approximately £102 yet the combined cost calculated by the meter is £68.82!

That's changed my mind about SM s .... there's a built in 33percent discount. Why didn't they tell us about that?
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 11 November 2018 at 10:02PM
    Chino wrote: »
    I can imagine.

Er,not quite. You are reading the gas as starting from the bottom of the scale. It starts from where the electric ends so is more like 1.5, 1.5,1, 0.5 etc

So what you put as Gas (5+4+3 etc ) is the total combined cost per day
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've given in, just got sick of phone calls and emails to have one so I've been bullied into it
  • kuepper wrote: »
    I've given in, just got sick of phone calls and emails to have one so I've been bullied into it

That makes me so sad. :(

Why didn't you change your marketing preferences so that your utility supplier couldn't harass you ?

You can still cancel if it isn't installed :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure