Reclaining monthly fees for Halifax Reward Current Account

I am hoping you can help me.

I received a phone call from one of the scamming agencies claiming that I could reclaim the £15 monthly fees from my Halifax Reward Current Account as it was "missold" to me. Now, I know that they would grossly exaggerate the definition of "missold", but thinking back to when I was upgraded the main push was for me to make the use of their fee-free overdraft (at the time I was a student and practically lived in my overdraft). The company made a big thing about how this meant my account had been missold since they pushed on the overdraft facility, and the insurance services hadn't been explained to me even though I never used their insurance services in the years since I have had the account. I have used the overdraft facility, and looking back it did seem like a hard-sell on this point.

I thought nothing of it and had no intention of looking to pursue a claim, but decided to do a little digging on the company to see how much fo a scam artist they were. I discovered an article on MSE (unfortunately not allowed to post links) which seemed to echo the contents of their phone call, although doesn't really follow their "stretching" of the claim of misselling. This gave me food for thought, so I was hoping someone could advise me as to whether it would be worth pursuing a claim on this. If it's not then I wouldn't even begin to start the process, I don't want to waste my time if this wouldn't be possible, and if it were then I also don't want to lose these functions as a result of the claim, as I am not in a strong financial position at the moment. I'm not going to bother going through one of the companies that has been calling me since I think they would be scamming me for sure, but I was wondering whether someone here could advise me further on whether this is for real.

Thanks,

Nathan

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you have a valid mis-selling complaint about your packaged bank account, then make it.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you complain the account was miss-sold they will close it and move you onto a more basic fee free one, you will lose all the benefits of the account, you can't have both
  • I have been waiting since August last year for a reply to my miss-selling claim.
    Has anyone else had to wait so long? Is there anything I can do to speed things up?
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Did they receive your complaint?
    They have eight weeks to furnish a final response, if you don't get one, you can go to the FOS.
    I'd phone them and check they received it first though.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure