Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 1st Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Help, heating confusion!
    • 1st Sep 19, 7:20 PM
    Help, heating confusion! 1st Sep 19 at 7:20 PM
    Hi there,
    Iím a complete newbie to writing on the forum (but have read a lot of really useful threads over the years).

Iím buying a fairly small 1 bedroom cottage (middle of three cottages in a row).

There is no gas in the village and currently the cottage has Dimplex storage heaters in the living room and bedroom, an electric radiator in the kirchen and a radiator towel warmer thing in the bathroom. It has an immersion tank for water and is double glazed.

To work out if I can basically leave things as they are (maybe add in a pellet stove to the living room for cosiness in the winter) or whether I should make some or lots of changes, I have researched the storage heaters, lpg, heat pumps, solar panels, biomass pellet stoves and boilers, electric combi boilers etc and I am totally lost.

Obviously there are pros and cons to everything plus there are lots of vastly different opinions out there (some say storage fine, others say its awful and so on - with every option)

From what Iíve read, the cottage is too small for a heat pump - and Iím not sure I can afford to have a biomass boiler and radiator system as well as a stove...plus I am not sure whether it would be overkill for one person....the Renewable Heating Incentive appeals though...

Mon to Fri - I will be out of the house 3 days a week, working from home 2 days a week.
    And I should add that I like warmth so will need heat in the mornings, evenings/nights and during days I am at home (when it isnít summer). I think this mixed bag in terms of when Iím in and not might mean I donít fit into economy 7 or standard!

Sorry for such a long post but can anyone help?? I could really do with some sound advice

Thanks in advance!
    Elle
Page 1
    • venison
    • By venison 1st Sep 19, 8:26 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    venison
    • 1st Sep 19, 8:26 PM
    • 1st Sep 19, 8:26 PM
    Trust me LPG can be expensive, especially bottled, personally I don't like storage heaters and like you said E7 might not be best for you anyway, I would stick with what you have for now see how you get on with it and what the bills are before making any decisions you might later regret.
    Good luck in your new home
    For the many NOT the few
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 1st Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    • 1st Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    • 1st Sep 19, 9:26 PM
    Thanks venison - and thatís very useful to know about lpg.

Yes maybe youíre right - I guess I just wasnít too keen to head into my first winter there with just storage heaters if they are really useless but then again, youíre right I donít want to make any decisions I might later regret.

Thinking about the hot water - I donít suppose you have any thoughts on Ďelectricí combi boilers? Or maybe I should stick wih the immersion to see how I get in with that too?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 1st Sep 19, 11:12 PM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 1st Sep 19, 11:12 PM
    • 1st Sep 19, 11:12 PM
    How much storage do you have for fuel ?

A small multifuel stove fitted with a back boiler may suit you - The back boiler could heat your hot water tank along with three or four radiators (depending on size). Multifuel capability would give you the option of using wood, pellets, or smokeless coal.

A pellet only stove is a complex piece of kit that will need regular servicing and ties you to only burning pellets - The price of these is variable and is quite possible the cost will rise over the next few months.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 2nd Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 2nd Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 6:23 AM
    Hi,

You don't need to use the storage heater in the bedroom, no point having it churning out heat during the day.

If you need heat in the bedroom then a panel heater with a timer to go on half an hour before you go to bed, get up in morning, to take chill off the room.

You say you have an electric radiator (panel heater?) in the kitchen, you could move that to the bedroom, you shouldn't need a lot of heat in the kitchen.

You could also get an electric blanket.

You don't need to use heated towel rail.

When you start using storage heater in living room turn input to 2 and gradually increase, keep the output closed.

If immersion heater on a timer then set it to come on last 1-2hrs of cheap rate, will give you hot water in morning and if tank well insulated should be enough to last the day.

See how it goes this winter.

Good luck.
    Y'all take care now.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 2nd Sep 19, 6:59 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 2nd Sep 19, 6:59 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 6:59 AM
    You don't need to use heated towel rail.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    If itís the only heat source in the bathroom youíd probably want that on for three hours before morning!
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 2nd Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 2nd Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 7:56 AM
    Hi,

not for a 10 minute shower?
    Y'all take care now.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 2nd Sep 19, 8:29 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:29 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:29 AM
    Oh yes.
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    • 2nd Sep 19, 8:30 AM
    Thanks so much for all the advice

(Freebear) - Thereís storage for fuel (an old outside toilet that is now a cupboard/shed - but would need to get it fixed up so definately waterproof) ó so are you saying pellets not best option as price set to rise? Was hoping not to use coal (unsustainable?) and thought wood might be harder to manage if using it to heat whole house and water (just in terms of getting it started and then leaving for work etc)?

(Frugalmacdugal) - yes good point about the storage heater in the bedroom, will having that taken out and away and a new eletric radiator installed offset savings on electric do you think? I am a someone who needs warmth so need to do someone about the bathroom (which has a bath and hand held showerhead at the moment) as not sure the heated towel rails will do the trick?
    - thanks for the tip re: setting the storage heaters!
    - not sure of the immersion has a timer (will check) but has no insulation on the outside from what I could see (in the corner of bathroom cupboard behind shelves) - hope so, otherwise should I get another immersion with timer, or perhaps an electric combi boiler (wonder if better as heats as you go along so you only heat what you need).
    - also not sure about economy 7 ó as I will be out all day (12 hours) at least 3 days a week ?

(Coffeehound) - yes, am worried the heated towel rail wonít be enough....would rather pay the extra and have the warmth when I need it...

Can I ask all of you, is the feeling storage heaters not a good option long term??
    (I had wondered if a pellet stove in the sitting room and good electric radiators everywhere else might be an option? With perhaps an electric combi boiler for water?) - it leaves me almost fully with electric,.,but people seem to be saying lpg and pellets too expensive for heating whole house and hot water?)

• coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 2nd Sep 19, 8:49 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Hiya. Storage heaters could suit your lifestyle quite well since you may be at home four days out of seven. You will probably need top-up heating in the evenings as you say, but being warm all day from the SHs would be ideal. Newer SHs (like Dimplex Quantum) are better insulated and so hold their heat for longer, so might make a good upgrade in future.

If your hot water cylinder is uninsulated, then it could be worth looking to upgrade that in future. That said, if you only need hot water first thing in the morning, then it might be okay as is -- it could also act as a heater for the bathroom using off-peak rate electricity.

As others have said, you could try it this winter and see how you get on, and then be in a good position to judge what changes you want to make next year.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 2nd Sep 19, 8:58 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Was the hot water tank white? If so, it probably is insulated, just with the insulation hidden inside a plastic case.

Towel rails vary greatly in heat output so yours might be enough to warm the bathroom if run for several hours. If you need additional heating, there are small simple storage heaters designed for the purpose. These can often be bought inexpensively on eBay if you want to minimise outlay.

Last edited by coffeehound; 02-09-2019 at 9:14 AM.
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 9:11 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Thanks very much, Coffeehound!

Yes, I will be working from home at least two days a week - so in pretty much all day on those days - as well as quite a bit at the weekends — and out of summer months I will need warmth (am bit of a wuss when it comes to too much cold). The storage heaters in the sitting room and bedroom are both Dimplex Duo Heat (I believe)...not sure if they are any good but I know that the old lady who lived there spent about £100 on electric for heating and hot water (but obviously no idea if that was using things at max capacity or her being frugal etc)...
    — and yes by sounds of it I need to stop over-planning and get in and see how I fair this winter before making decisions..
    - The immersion boiler looked silver coloured so presumed it was the metal ? - but that is an interesting thought about it actually helping to heat the bathroom potentially....
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 9:13 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    (£100 per month!)
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 2nd Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

You can get wee storage heater for bathroom, though will need a bit of rewiring.

Last edited by frugalmacdugal; 02-09-2019 at 9:21 AM.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Eyes1000
    • By Eyes1000 2nd Sep 19, 9:34 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Eyes1000
    Hi Frugalmacdugal - oh great, thanks! do you happen to know what make it is (is it Dimplex)?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 2nd Sep 19, 10:00 AM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

yes it is Dimplex, see if I can get more info.
    Y'all take care now.
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 2nd Sep 19, 10:41 AM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Thereís storage for fuel (an old outside toilet that is now a cupboard/shed - but would need to get it fixed up so definately waterproof) ó so are you saying pellets not best option as price set to rise? Was hoping not to use coal (unsustainable?) and thought wood might be harder to manage if using it to heat whole house and water (just in terms of getting it started and then leaving for work etc)?
    Originally posted by Eyes1000
    Much of the pellets that are used in this country come from either North America or Eastern Europe. Prices generally drop during the summer months as demand falls, and go up again in the winter. However, if the lunatic in charge of the asylum gets his way, come October 31st, fuel will be the first to increase in price.

A disused toilet is maybe 4'x4' - Barely large enough for a stock of pellets or coal, and certainly not enough for logs. I have a 10'x6' shed piled full of wood. Hopefully, it will last if we have a real cold winter. If not, I have a half tonne of coal in a second shed.

A wood stove does need attending on a regular basis to keep it going - Most of us will put a log on every hour or so (depending on tree species). During the winter when I needed to go out for the day, I was lighting the fire in the morning and then piling up a good layer of coal. In the evening, riddle out the ash, and then put some small logs on for the evening - Kept the room nice and toasty all day and helped keep the rest of the house warm.

Don't forget - The fabric of the house will act as one large storage heater. If you are only sticking heat on for a few hours each day, quite a bit of the heat will be sucked up by the walls. Applying gentle heat throughout the day keeps the house warmish, and a quick blast from a fire quickly brings the temperature up.

If electric is your only source of heat, you really need to look at insulating the walls, loft, and floor. Block of any draughts, and try to reduce the heat loss as much as possible.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 2nd Sep 19, 10:49 AM
    • 6,809 Posts
    • 5,817 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

Hi Frugalmacdugal - oh great, thanks! do you happen to know what make it is (is it Dimplex)?
    Found this, bit expensive, though might be able to find it cheaper, there is also an auto version.

Why not put the heater from the bedroom in the bathroom if you can fit it in, Duo-Heat are quite slim, or put it in living room, that should be cosy for you, pity to just dump it.
    Last edited by frugalmacdugal; 02-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.
    Y'all take care now.
    • EnergyRookie
    • By EnergyRookie 2nd Sep 19, 10:54 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    EnergyRookie
    Hi there,
    I’m a complete newbie to writing on the forum (but have read a lot of really useful threads over the years).

I’m buying a fairly small 1 bedroom cottage (middle of three cottages in a row).

There is no gas in the village and currently the cottage has Dimplex storage heaters in the living room and bedroom, an electric radiator in the kirchen and a radiator towel warmer thing in the bathroom. It has an immersion tank for water and is double glazed.

To work out if I can basically leave things as they are (maybe add in a pellet stove to the living room for cosiness in the winter) or whether I should make some or lots of changes, I have researched the storage heaters, lpg, heat pumps, solar panels, biomass pellet stoves and boilers, electric combi boilers etc and I am totally lost.

Obviously there are pros and cons to everything plus there are lots of vastly different opinions out there (some say storage fine, others say its awful and so on - with every option)

From what I’ve read, the cottage is too small for a heat pump - and I’m not sure I can afford to have a biomass boiler and radiator system as well as a stove...plus I am not sure whether it would be overkill for one person....the Renewable Heating Incentive appeals though...

Mon to Fri - I will be out of the house 3 days a week, working from home 2 days a week.
    And I should add that I like warmth so will need heat in the mornings, evenings/nights and during days I am at home (when it isn’t summer). I think this mixed bag in terms of when I’m in and not might mean I don’t fit into economy 7 or standard!

Sorry for such a long post but can anyone help?? I could really do with some sound advice

Thanks in advance!
    Elle
    So you have conducted as full an investigation as you can, and you cannot find a better heating solution for you than what the property already has (not that you have mentioned there is anything wrong with the existing heating)

I suggest you wait until you move in, at which time you will probably find more pressing things to do, like redecorate to your own taste, or just re-fresh what is already there. Perhaps some new carpets?

Anyway, by then you will learn for yourself that storage heaters are not normally an issue, to ignore much of what you read on the internet (as it's probably wrong) but if you still wish to continue to explore alternative heating options, you will hopefully then have spoken to the neighbours and discussed with them what they have.
    Last edited by EnergyRookie; 02-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 2nd Sep 19, 10:58 AM
    • 3,445 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    coffeehound
    The storage heaters in the sitting room and bedroom are both Dimplex Duo Heat . . .

- The immersion boiler looked silver coloured so presumed it was the metal ?.
    Duo-heat are good new-generation SHs so you shouldn't need to replace them.

Think the silver coloured water cylinder will be a modern insulated one too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,484Users online

Martin's Twitter