Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 31st Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 6,312Posts
    • 30,275Thanks
    pineapple
    Carpet cleaning - hire or buy equipment?
    • 31st Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    Carpet cleaning - hire or buy equipment? 31st Aug 18 at 10:18 AM
    I'm weighing up the cost of hiring a Rug Doctor. Seems to be around 30 for two days. Pros: cheaper in the short term - it seems that a reasonable machine would cost upwards of 150? Plus no storage issues.

Pros for buying - dogs and ongoing work on the house mean that ideally my carpets/rugs need more than a once a year clean. Plus you have the flexibility to use as and when and no collection and return hassle (though you can have a Rug Doctor delivered for an extra charge).

Has anyone else bought a carpet cleaner and have any recommendations?
Page 2
    • yesig712
    • By yesig712 8th Feb 19, 6:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    yesig712
    I don't buy the carpet cleaner but I cleaned getting clean my carpet to professional. I would be better for you to buy carpet cleaning machine it would be highly effective and easy to use. So all the best for this you could also get more about this at carpet cleaning Squamish their professional could guide you well.
    • ukjoel
    • By ukjoel 9th Feb 19, 12:44 AM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    ukjoel
    vax
    A couple of times a year VAX have a massive sale online.
    Its worth waiting if buying new for those as not only is the cleaner a third of the price but the chemicals are also heavily discounted.

We bought one - and its used maybe once or twice a year but the difference is incredible and fairly disturbing in how much dirt it pulls up from what look like clean carpets.

https://www.vax.co.uk/factory-sale

If you cant wait for the sale - check ebay. too heavy to ship so you can pick decent models up on the cheap there as lots of people use them twice and then sell them as they take up loads of space.
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 9th Feb 19, 8:49 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    We have one and it have used it enough in a couple of years to make it's purchase price back. We also had to factor in delivery charges or taxi prices though.
    I use rollators and wheelchairs so the carpets can get grubby quickly, then a visiting dog etc. an di drop a lot of things.

This is our second one as the first broke after a number of years. This one is a Vax and I much prefer how well it cleans compared to the Bissell.

Like others have said ours gets borrowed.. cousins, parents and my Carers who help me.. whilst we absolutely don't want a contribution we've had a few bunches of flowers...which is a nice touch and saves me a few pounds.
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 17th Oct 19, 11:32 AM
    • 1,761 Posts
    • 2,075 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    I bought a Bissell Lift Off which has been excellent. It is an upright where the cleaner part lifts off to use on the stairs/sofa/car seats etc.

I spilled red wine on a pale wool carpet and the Bissell soon cleaned it up. I've cleaned several car seats/carpets with it and the results are very good.

Just over 200 from Bissell direct.
    Compensation/Refunds - 4,655 | Stooz Profits - 7,636 | Quidco - 4,365 | Tax Avoidance - 107,000
    All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • cranford
    • By cranford 17th Oct 19, 3:05 PM
    • 539 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    cranford
    So RiverBetty you have commented on an old thread to recommend a USA company to clean carpets. Does that mean they would be willing to come to the UK for free to clean carpets here!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 17th Oct 19, 6:19 PM
    • 13,774 Posts
    • 9,486 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    RiverBetty spam. Or do they call it something else over there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,318Posts Today

8,062Users online

Martin's Twitter