Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 5
    • neelpeel
    • By neelpeel 5th Mar 08, 1:03 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    neelpeel
    Pay As You Go Broadband? or minor useage?
    My 65 yr old mum is finally making the step into the digital world. Got herself a PC and is now looking to get on the internet.
    She isn't in a LLU area and she'll only need it for browsing, maybe downloading the odd song and a bit of email.

Is there a PAYG broadband service available from anyone?? (i.e. pay per minute like dial-up, or pay per GB?)

or otherwise what is the 'best value' non-LLU service for very light users.
    When I say 'best value' I mean that it will have to be cheap (under £15), but with reasonable customer service. Speed is not really an issue and 512mb would probably be enough.
    • aerostar
    • By aerostar 5th Mar 08, 2:03 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    aerostar
    Plus net £9.99 per month with 1 Gig allowance or 14.99 with 8 Gig allowance. If she stays a year the hardware is free (apart from postage) and the setup fee is free.

Over the allowances and you can buy more or your speeds get reduced until the next month starts.

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/

I have put three friends on it, and they have not had any problems.
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 5th Mar 08, 7:30 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    I forgot to add, that it will go free in July, once new equipment installed in our exchange.

Looked on above and still no real solution, can get Tiscali, but only gives weekend and not evening calls free, cannot get O2. How successful has anyone been negotiating the Talk-Talk to get some monies back? I had Plusnet as Force9 who were very reliable, but
    DG
  • batterme
    Good BB only provider?
    I have been paying too much to tiscali for some time now for there BB and anytime calls package. I get unlimited BB but only at a lowly speed of up to 2meg.
    Up to 8meg is available from my local exchange, but I can only access certain providers. Some of the better deals that would be of interest to me from SKY, O2, TalkTalk etc seem to be ages away from becoming available.

As well as paying £19.99 p/mth to tiscali, I also pay my line rental to BT.
    I have noticed that shortly BT's option 2 calling plan, if on a 12 month contract, and paid by direct debit, will be charged at the same price as option 1, which I am currently on. The big bonus is that they include evening calls as well as the standard free weekend calls.
    This free call package really suits me, so armed with my MAC code from Tiscali, I am now searching for a new BB supplier, without the need to pay for a calls package.

Plusnet @ £9.99 looks cheap, but the low download limit is a bit off-putting, even if extra useage is cheap to buy as required. Madasafish @ £12.50ish a month, but with a 5meg cap fits the bill as well.

Any thoughts on which way i should go??

Thanks,

John
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 8th Mar 08, 8:43 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Have you looked at Virgin? I thought they were cable only but they are now offering a non-cable at good prices as long as you have a BT line, but you take your calls in the package just pay rental to BT. Been unable to check for reviews due to problems below.

I have had an horrendous 2 days, on Thursday a.m. while using Bband it went off. Picked up the phone to check if I had a line which I did with like electronic switching noises as well. Reported to Talk-Talk who I have my phone with atm, who took the call well, and I went through the normal checks and nothing cleared it so they passed it to a BT engineer. Noise disapeared around mid-day, but bband will not connect. BT Business who my Bband is currently with I have to admit have been fabulous trying assist. It was nice to talk to a native English speaker who understood what I was talking about. Currently on dial up, cannot have it free as Talk-Talk do not recognise 0808 calls as free so being very sparing with use. Dial up not staying up long,and very slow, await BT BBand engineer on Monday. Tried to talk to Talk-Talk again today there will be a complaint about the attitutde of one of their none native English speakers going in as well as telling them where to put their package. What is crazy is I have been with Talk-Talk One-Tel for 2 years with no problems, and within 2 weeks I am going to tell the other branch to lose themselves. Sorry Rant over.
    DG
  • opportunity_cost
    Yep, Virgin's non-cable ADSL offering looks good on paper but it's probably the worst choice of ISP anyone could make at the moment. If you look at Virgin Media (ADSL) feedback on DSL Zone, thinkbroadband and ISPreview, it's complaint after complaint.

Sky Broadband (with the £150 cashback deal) and O2 Broadband are the best offers around at the moment.
    Last edited by opportunity_cost; 11-03-2008 at 4:18 PM.
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 9th Mar 08, 5:32 PM
    • 4,601 Posts
    • 38,150 Thanks
    donny-gal
    Neither of which I can get at the moment on my exchange - next best?

This is really bugging me now as two people on our street have got Talk Talk free, but they are telling me the exchange will not be unbundled until July? Confused!
    DG
  • harryhound
    The dedicated MAAF thread on here offers good support.
    Logically I should be switching to my only (non BT infrastructure) option of Talk Talk, but after a first year with MAAF, and a nasty experience switching electricity providers (see NP threads) I've got a very reasonable deal from MAAF for another 12 months and will be monitoring the situation to see if BT is going to get its act together with the new century technology.
    • arealhighlander
    • By arealhighlander 12th Mar 08, 10:10 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    arealhighlander
    Shame on you Martin using the same "lies" as many Broadband companies use by advertising UNLIMITED Broadband but then having "oh but theres a Fair Use policy" in the smallprint. If theres a fair use policy then there IS a limit. "Oh it wont affect most people" is not an acceptable excuse.

In the newsletter this week you call O2's "unlimited" but then go on and say it has a fair use policy.

Please only use the description Unlimited if it is. If companies have a fair use policy, please state what the companys limit is. It will make it a lot easier for us to choose suppliers rather than having to trawl through small print everytime.
    • arealhighlander
    • By arealhighlander 12th Mar 08, 10:18 AM
    • 570 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    arealhighlander
    I recomend Bethere.co.uk Bevalue package at £14 per month. Sign up through Quidco and you could get £55 cashback and if you use promo code SALES2 you can get free connection (£24) and 1 month free (£14) . Thats £93 off! With those discounts it's equivalent to £6.25 per month for the 1st year.
    I think this pretty much wins the cheapest broadband.
    It's also an unlimited service and has been a good service for me so far.
    Originally posted by Pitchshifter
    It is not unlimited.
    "If itís felt that any Be memberís Internet activities are so excessive that other members are detrimentally affected, Be may give the member generating the excessive web traffic a written warning (by email or otherwise). In extreme circumstances, should the levels of activity not immediately decrease after the warning, Be may terminate that memberís services."
    They do not state what amount of data it would take for it to affect other users. It could be if you download tem programmes in a month from BBCi to watch, you could find yourself cut off for excessive use! At least other Fair Use Policys quote a number and you can track that yourself to make sure you dont breach it.

Unlimited Broadband! - well of course unless you hit a limit that we decide...
    • Empty pockets
    • By Empty pockets 12th Mar 08, 11:41 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Empty pockets
    Hi,

Had a browse through the posts but I can never seem to take too much imformation in, I think it's called being a thicko!!

Can anyone advise me on ISP's??

I'm with Pipex at the moment and have been for many years. The service is good and never had and major connection problems. The problem I do have which Martin covered in his email was downloading from BBCi and 4od.

I just checked my online statements and i've had two direct debits go out for approx £30 and £60!

I've always accepted the £10 BT Rental + £19.99 BB although exessive as acceptable as it always worked but now my usage is higher the cost is too much. I've requested a MAC code from Pipex.

What is my best option?

I hate being tied into contracts due to poor service but I've no real reason I can't be.

I pay for the bt line but don't use it for calls, just BB. I don't even have a handset. Is this a waste of money? Should I be looking at cable companys? Not impressed with what I've heard about Virgin and SKY are a bunch of cowboys.

I heard the Post office was doing BB, line rental and calls. Are they worth considering?

Thanks!!
  • Will_Tingle
    Beware of "Unlimited" limits...
    "unlimited" broadband is almost always subject to "fair usage", which basicly means that there is a limit, but the provider won't admit it untill you go over.

Wannadon't did this to me.
  • Smirch This
    I've got good things to say about O2 so far - 2 weeks in now. I migrated from NewNet to O2 on their £7.50 deal (I'm also on their O2 unlimited PAYG mobile which works too!).

The router is good quality (Thompson/Speedtouch 780), it just worked and their entire comissioning process is covered by lots of emails and SMS messages.

I am a very heavy user (I work from home) and the performance is good all day and night - no sign of traffic shaping. It's ADSL2+ and for 8Mb it connects at 11Mbits down and 1.2Mbits up. I can pull 1120k/sec through it with no hassles (!). I'll tell everyone what the cap is when I exceed it ;-)

I'll keep people posted on how it does.

I've used Pipex, Demon, Newnet and Eclipse since I started using ADSL in 1999 and this is the best deal so far.

Newnet who I just switched from (I was on their 20Gb contract) progressively got crapper and crapper with support and reliability so I dumped them!

Demon ripped me off and I had to sue them.

Eclipse was ok but expensive.

Pipex was my first (years ago - I had a dial up with them from 1994!). They have gone to the dogs recently apparently.
    £8k to pay off before Jan 2011! Was 28k to pay off by Jan 2010 though so I'm happy
    • JerryF
    • By JerryF 13th Mar 08, 1:15 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    JerryF
    Great move from Madasafish to O2
    Just migrated from Madasafish - a previous MSE best buy - to O2. Using the BBC iPlayer I wanted unlimited downloads (just as Martin rightly updates in his latest advice). Madasafish limit is 5Gb on cheapest package (if you're renewing with Madasafish after 12 months they might offer you this for £9.99 monthly if you sign for another year).

Anyway signed up for O2 Broadband via Topcashback and £25 credited to my account within 24 hours (can't claim it for 60 days). I see MSE now has a hotlink to O2 Broadband so the referral should benefit this site if you don't have a cashback account.

O2's customer communication is excellent every step of the way - by text and email. My connection was live 8 days after sign up, broadband was only off for 4 hours on migration switchover day. My Madasafish average speed was about 3.5mbps with O2 I'm getting 10mbps even though I'm signed up to the base 8mbps speed (O2 has installed their own advanced ASDL2+ technology in the BT exchange).

It's free to call O2 for help, high quality free wireless router (on loan) and the software diagnoses many faults and corrects them - which saves hours crawling about connecting and disconnecting things or hanging on the phone to a helpdesk - but if you do call support is UK based. As if that wasn't enough there's also a 100 day money back guararntee - they're obviously pretty confident you'll be happy.

As you'll see I'm very happy with the service so far. O2 isn't available nationwide yet, but I read they're rolling out coverage to up to 400 more telephone exchanges by June. You can register your interest up front and they'll send you an email when its coming your way.
  • opportunity_cost
    I pay for the bt line but don't use it for calls, just BB. I don't even have a handset. Is this a waste of money? Should I be looking at cable companys? Not impressed with what I've heard about Virgin and SKY are a bunch of cowboys.

I heard the Post office was doing BB, line rental and calls. Are they worth considering?
    Originally posted by Empty pockets
    No, it's just not worth the hassle. You may save a couple of pounds a month by getting line rental from someone else than BT but by doing that, you tie yourself to that provider for your broadband, which is a bad idea since most of those providers offering line rental + broadband bundles are poorly rated ISPs offering sub-standard broadband products.

There's no way around BT's line rental even if you don't make any calls from that line, I'm afraid . Sticking with BT is a necessary evil if you want the greatest choice of broadband providers. I retaliate by using 18185, 1899 and whatever 5p/min calls to mobiles phoneyourgranny provider Martin's call checker throws at me.

I've always accepted the £10 BT Rental + £19.99 BB although exessive as acceptable as it always worked but now my usage is higher the cost is too much. I've requested a MAC code from Pipex.

What is my best option?
    O2 Broadband would be your best option @ £12.50/month (or £10.83/month if you top up an O2 PAYG phone with £10 every 3 months), unlimited/undefined usage, up to 8Mbit.

If you can't get O2 Broadband, given your usage needs, UK Online @ £14.99/month, 2Mbit, unlimited/undefined usage is your next best option. If you can't get that either, go for one of the Entanet resellers (UKFSN, ADSL24, Aquiss, Vivaciti, Freeola, TitanADSL, Xifos, Falconnet) @ £19.99/month, up to 8Mbit, 30GB peak/300GB off-peak usage allowance.
    • Empty pockets
    • By Empty pockets 15th Mar 08, 10:00 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Empty pockets
    Anyone got a contact number for 02 broadband???

Cant get though on 0800 230 0202. Get a not recognised message

Cant work the bloody online thing either - keeps telling me my number is not a real number!!!

CALM KEEP CALM!!!!
    • Mike by the Sea
    • By Mike by the Sea 15th Mar 08, 4:13 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Mike by the Sea
    Hi Empty pockets

Try this one...

0800 089 0281
    Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught - Sir Winston Churchill
  • mk-donald
    Anyone got a contact number for 02 broadband???

Cant get though on 0800 230 0202. Get a not recognised message

Cant work the bloody online thing either - keeps telling me my number is not a real number!!!

CALM KEEP CALM!!!!
    For o2 Broadband your phoneline needs to a BT line which may explain your problems ?

Don't forget it may be best NOT to phone as you should 'MSE' go via a referral site - eg quidco.com give you £25 for buying o2 broadband via them.
  • maglett
    which BB?
    Hi guys,

Bought new house, have all utilities etc to sift through so any help would be appreciated re. broadband.

Have just connected to BT Option 2 phoneline (£10.50)

Want broadband just for light / medium use. Can't get TalkTalk, don't want to mess around with my phone provider etc at the moment.

Don't know much about wireless, unsure about its security.

Which would you suggest ? (have laptop, phoneline but nothing else!)

Cheers
    • Empty pockets
    • By Empty pockets 17th Mar 08, 10:21 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 587 Thanks
    Empty pockets
    Thanks Mk-Donald,

Still having trouble unfortunatley??? Very strange, almost thinking i'm doing something wrong now?

I am on a BT line and it is paid for up and working. Can't even get to that stage on the website though, it's asking for my mobile number, simply says its invalid, won't let me progress. Can't dial Customer servises either for some reason??

Anyway, e mailed them asking them to contact me, hopefully they'll do that.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,965Posts Today

8,801Users online

Martin's Twitter