Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    dark_star
    American Express Discussion Area
    • 24th Apr 04, 10:58 PM
    American Express Discussion Area 24th Apr 04 at 10:58 PM
    Hi..quick question
    The Amex Blue and Circle One rebate cards (I have both) still being widely plugged as the cashback cards to have.
    However on reading the T&C's for the Platinum CC is seems to me, that as long as you spend in excess of 6K a year, the platinum CC is now the one to have. T&C's state;
    up to 2K earns 0.5%
    2K - 5K earns 1%
    5K+ earns 2%
    I'm the first to admit, this kind of thing isn't my strong point...so can someone tell me if I'm missing something?
    fankks...I'm not very clever, but I can lift heavy things !
Page 3
    • mrtickle
    • By mrtickle 12th May 04, 3:25 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mrtickle
    Re: Amex Platinum credit card Vs Blue
    Hmm that is a mystery because they said different to kbeattie!

The T&C I am talking about is also online at
    https://www66.americanexpress.com/eapp/uk/platinumrevolve/termscond_uk_platinumrevolve.jsp?cgid=null

The only other thing I can think of is that we have a different understand of the meaning of the word "aggregate". To me it means the sum total, the whole amount.

There are tiers to decide which rate they pay you at, but not for the calculation of the payment itself.

see section 13.1

To me, "An annual rebate on the aggregate amount of all Transactions" means that if I spend 5K, they will chose the rate of 2% from the three posibilities, and they will give me the 2% on the aggregate - the whole amount.

This is why I think that you only need to spend 5k, not 6K, for the Platinum card to be the best?

by all means base your spending on 5K and let us know how you get on.
    Sadly they rejected me so I can't! But kbeattie has already post about this, and got a cashback of 284 for a spend of 14000. It's on the first page of the thread.
  • dark_star
    Hi again,
    I have sent AMEX an email asking then to clarify this. If they reply (AMEX customer service is at best inconsistent) I will post it, that way at least if they try to change their mind later there will be proof of what was agreed
    • steviewander
    • By steviewander 13th May 04, 6:32 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    steviewander
    Thanks darkstar.

Please do post up your reply as I am interested in this. I will be spending over 8,000 in the next coming 6 months and would like to get as much cashback as possible.

I understand "aggregate" to mean the total sum of the constituent parts. I think the constituent parts are the tiered calculations added together. So I'd be surprised if you got 2% cashback on all of the first 5,000 spend.
    But here's hoping!

Steve
    • theloft
    • By theloft 13th May 04, 12:16 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    theloft
    The trouble with all AMEX CARDS, (I've had the BA one for years) is finding enough outlets to use them. !Anyone taking out an Amex card for the first time will be amazed at how many outlets will not accept them. !I understand that this is because their merchant charge to the retailer is higher than most others. !So Martin's article in todays Newsletter (see main board) is all well and good but I find that I still have to use my Visa card in most places.
    So it could be difficult spend 6000 in a year on Amex.
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! : : :

• dark_star
    Hi
    theloft is quite right about the "accepability" of AMEX I have had a Blue for nearly a year and it is not as widely accepted as visa/masercard, fortunately my local tesco take it and that makes up quite a lump of my regular spend. However I was still going to swap to my circle rebate card when I get my cash back refunded in about a month (hopefuly)
    This platinum c/c is pretty much their last chance to retain me as a customer as I exceed a 6K annual spend. Failing that it will be Circle rebate all the way. ;D

ps just this week I was told if I used the blue card there would be a 3% surcharge!! from one retailer...so if you are using it...watch out for that kind of thing
  • archived user
    Watch out and be extra careful if applying for ANY American Express card, especially online. They are dangerous.

I applied online and it wanted my office address. They then checked up to see if I worked where I claimed I worked. Unfortunately there are several very similarly-named subsidiary companies in the same building, they got the wrong one's switchboard, and ended up with the incorrect idea that really I didn't actually work there.

So from one phone call to a dozy receptionist Amex decided I lied on my application and got me put on a national fraud database. (Note, actual fraud not mere bad credit.) Getting off again and getting links to it cleaned up off Equifax and Experian was a nightmare and certainly not worth a few cashback quid. Be warned!
  • dark_star
    Thanx for the warning Joe.
    For those still interested, I phoned them up again today, because I wanted to clarify what Martin has posted in the main site about applying quickly, as they have lifted the "invitation only" status for a limited time.
    The girl I spoke with seemed fairly clued up and said it was normal practice when they introduced a new card to start it as invitation only so they could see how it was working out. Then if they are happy with the card it goes out on "general release" subject to the usual criteria.
    The girl stated that this was in fact the case with the Platinum c/c and it was unlikely it would go back to invitation only.
    This however conflicts with what Martin has found out and he is generally right about this sort of thing (being a money saving expert and all)
    so I would be inclined to apply quickly if you are thinking about it just in case.
    I cant because I have a blue card and they have said if I take out the platinum they will cancel the blue and I'll lose my cash back !> so I'll have to sweat it out for a couple of months.
    update: Just checked my emails...there is a reply to an earlier inquiry I made regarding carrying over my cash back...they are now saying I can :-/ which is good news, but leads me to conclude their customer service people are all idiots and shouldn't be beleived....get it in writing if you can folks
  • Systemaddict
    I would agree with the above.
    I received an Invitation to apply for Amex platinum when Amex platinum was not listed on any of the search sites.
  • archived user
    Just spoke to someone in Amex who was definitely in the UK and who did not seem to be a droid reading from a script.

The information they gave was that it was tiered rates for the money back. i.e. spend 8K and 2K earns 0.5%, 3K earns 1% and 3K earns 2%.

I challenged them that they didn't mean 2% on the whole amount, and they were absolutely positive that it was not.
  • dark_star
    Thanx for that,
    It's looking like kbeatie versus the world on this one.

kbeatie,
    If you're still looking in on this can you confirm your last post please as it looks more and more like the rest of us are being offered a lesser deal than you got.
    Was there an annual fee for your c/c?
    Any further info you can provide will be helpful.

As for the reply to my email, I have just checked and they are saying...due to a high level of inquiries they may take a while to answer !:-/

But it's looking more and more like a 6K plus spend is required. If you apply on that basis and it is 5K then you'll get even more cash back !
    I for one will be applying...as soon as their web site starts working again

Update: website has been down for ages, so I have applied by telephone, they confirmed the 6K annual spend cashback scenario
  • archived user
    We have recently applied for Amex platinum card from their web site and received the card no problem. The only problem is - we don't seem to shop in the places that accept Amex!!! As you have already suggested, have a backup card ready because there have been loads of situations where we haven't been able to use it and have needed 'the reserve' card to pay!!
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 14th May 04, 4:07 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The tiered rates are definite. !I have both read the terms and conditions - which it must be admitted could be read both ways and spoken to the top people at Amex to confirm.

As for the quickness of applying. !That was because i hadn't had an answer - and this originally came as open invite due to a 'motor show' promotion (don't ask).

The key here is while it has become a regularly offered card, as always when a card is a new one, there are a number of testing phases.

1. Invite only trial
    2. Full market launch
    3. Revision after impact of market launch.

As this has been a soft launch (not too heavy pr) my assumption is it is easily pullable. !Hence why apply quick. !To make it clear - i am not saying it will be pulled - just that unlike a Halifax One or Mint launch - which were heavy PR and therefore likely to be out there with those ts & cs for a while - this is much easier to pull off the market. !So it's best to grab it while it's hot - as there's no problem doing so

Martin
  • archived user
    As I understand it, with Amex cards you lose cashback accrued on one card if you transfer to another, no?

So if you already have an Amex Blue, as I do (thanks to this site), you should wait to collect your year-one cashback before switching to the Platinum deal.

My anniversary date is August so hopefully the deal will still be around then.
  • dark_star
    w_p
    here is the reply from AMEX I received yesterday to that query.
    I have applied with potentialy 100 of cash back to loose if it is eronious...but all things considered, I have gone for it.

Thanx again Martin for providing the voice of reason

"Thank you for your enquiry.

You can Apply on-line or you can call our Applications Team on 0191 233 3067 where we can take an application for the Platinum Card over the telephone.

As long as you are approved for the Platinum Card you can transfer the Moneyback accrued to the new account.

If you have any further enquiries or questions about this or any other matter, please call Customer Services.

Thank you for contacting us via e-mail.

Regards,

UK Customer Service"
    email ends.
    dark star
  • kbeattie
    OK folks, time for me to eat humble pie !!!

Checked all my past statements...here goes !!

Firstly, I was originally assured of the full 2% cashback on the Amex Platinum card when I rang an advisor on getting the card. This I can definitely confirm now is incorrect.

When I said I got 284 cashback, I worked it out based on 2% of my eligible balance.

The eligible balance I looked at was for the end of the 11th month not the 12th month of the year, which was sitting at 14200.

I spent 2036.06 in the 12th month so my eligible balance for the year should be 16236.06.

My cashback was actually 264.72, calculated as follows:

2000 spend = 10 cashback (0.5%)
    3000 spend = 30 cashback (1%)
    11236.06 spend = 224.72 cashback (2%)

Hope this clears things up once and for all and apologies for misleading you all.

It's still a great card though and definitely suited for my use. My eliglible balance so far this year is 9800 and it's only 6 months into the year !!
  • dark_star
    Not a problem kb
    Thanx for coming back and clarifying that
    • mrtickle
    • By mrtickle 15th May 04, 1:52 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mrtickle
    Indeed. At least we have an answer now with no loose ends left. I don't like unsolved mysteries
    • Angela
    • By Angela 16th May 04, 9:31 AM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    Angela
    Other half applied over the phone early last week for platinum,any ideas how long it will be before we find out if he has been successful?
    Also any idea of what sort of credit limits are given?

• dark_star
    hi Angela,
    AMEX aren't the quickest, when I emailed them last week, they said they were inundated with inquiries.
    From that I would guess they are getting a lot of interest in the platinum card.
    I think when I applied for my Blue card last year it took a couple of weeks.

I firstly got a letter saying I was unsuccessful in my application, then the card arrived a few days later ???
    • mrtickle
    • By mrtickle 16th May 04, 12:58 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mrtickle
    My application was on 17th Apr and the rejection arrived on 5th May, so about 2 1/2 weeks :-/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,736Posts Today

8,287Users online

Martin's Twitter