Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 4th May 10, 4:12 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    Who DONíT you want to win the election?
    • 4th May 10, 4:12 PM
    Who DONíT you want to win the election? 4th May 10 at 4:12 PM
    Poll between 4 and 7 May 2010:

With talk of a hung parliament rife, if you were to be give the option to vote one of the three main parties out of government rather than in – who’d you choose?

Who don’t you want to win the election?

A. Conservatives. 49% (11,387 votes)
    B. Labour. 44% (10,155 votes)
    C. Liberal Democrats. 7% (1,648 votes)

Voting has now closed, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks
    Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 11-05-2010 at 1:51 PM.
Page 3
  • oldie goldie
    Am I on a different planet - did the banks just not go broke?
    Protect the banking system, you are joking. Not only that
    but our debt will go on forever - Brown is getting out (hopefully)
    at the right time having nearly bankrupted our Country and left
    a legacy of debt for many generations to come. Remember that
    when you are 70 and want to retire! Brown's fault!
    Originally posted by annsutton
    Actually they didn't!
    Labour saved them!
    If they had not - you would not be able to retire - you would have to work until you died.
    • jeanmd
    • By jeanmd 5th May 10, 10:47 AM
    • 2,269 Posts
    • 25,057 Thanks
    jeanmd
    I voted Conservative - do I really want labour back no, but I want the cons back less.
    Yes I remember the strikes, no power etc. Scargill was right though wasn't he. They closed the mines and now we buy our coal from abroad, as we do our electric and gas, the railways are a mess too. Thatcher sold us down the river, lock stock and barrel, well everything she could sell.
    No, I won't be voting for the big Cons!

The banking ststem? That was worldwide wasn't it and Gorden at least was in there helping to sort it out. Yes, I know he made some bad judgements when he was chancellor.

Oh, I've just remembered the mortgage I got under Mrs T. 17.5% Anyone on todays wages want to go back to that. You don't know how lucky you are.
    Last edited by jeanmd; 05-05-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Thank you to everyone who contributes to mse.

"Discipline is just choosing between what you want now and what you want most" - Unknown Author
    • gvlewis
    • By gvlewis 5th May 10, 11:02 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    gvlewis
    Shame the poll asks for us to choose just one party. Quite frankly, I don't want any of them to win.

When I look at the Tories, I am reminded of the phrase: 'He who pays the piper plays the tune'. Private Eye recently published a list of the non-doms who have donated to the Conservatives. Whereas the LibDems have one or two and Labour have a handful, the Tories have a whole shedful of them. It is also interesting to bear this in mind when you look who supports them in the press: the Barclay brothers who run the Torygraph are tax exiles, Viscount Rothermere (Mail Group) is another Tory non-dom, Rupert Murdoch is well known for his tax avoidance schemes (amongst other things) and the least said about how Richard (Dirty Des) Desmond (Express group) made his money the better. One of the things that is clear is that whoever wins the election is going to have to make difficult choices in order to pay off the deficit. Personally I believe the bulk of the burden should be borne by those who can afford to pay. I very much doubt that this view is shared by many in the Tory party which is why they have the support of the above and many in the City.

Every time I think of the Lib Dems, I think of hippies. Yes, O.K. they don't have beards and wear sandals any longer. But their policies and melded in the idealistic fantasy land of Liberal Democrat party conferences and bear very little the real world. Vince Cable talks some sense sometimes - for example the Lib Dem commitment to introduce a law which would prevent daft takeovers such as the one of Cadbury by Kraft. But their amnesty to illegal immigrants is a daft one.

Labour really have to go. They have made too many bad decisions in the past - eg the Iraq War, freeing up the banking regulations, both of which incidently had the support of the Tories. Gordon Brown is perhaps one of the most blinkered PMs we have with an obsession on central control and bureaucracy. A new approach is needed to bring the economy back on its feet.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 5th May 10, 11:06 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    the conservatives or the bnp i dont trust cameron and im dont agree with nick griffins racist views
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • derck
    our new government
    I cannot believe that any rational person could want a new labour government.A fter sending our troops to an illegal war under equipped,bringing the finances of the country to their lowest point for 60 years,cheating and lying repeatedly about personal expenses-admittedly most of these were committed under t blair , aka t b liar, whose timing in leaving the sinking ship has to be admired-but gordon brown was his accomplice,always bragging about prudence . it is no good saying that the" global " financial mess is not his doing,we could have done much better.one only needed to see the various tv programmes showing how easy it was to get enormous mortgages which were not affordable in any normal context to realize that our housing bubble was being encouraged by our banks-not american. we have ourselves, led by these ne-er do wells, to blame-if you really want more of the same god help us
  • Labour loser
    Labour loser
    I voted Labour all my life until 1997. In their first budget after that election Labour abolished the Married Couples Allowance. To any pensioner born after 1 April 1935 this means a loss of the allowance (now £6965) which in turn means they pay an extra £696 (10% of the allowance) every year .. or to put it simply, thanks to Labour they are £13.38 PER WEEK worse off. I will never support Labour again!!
  • Juwel
    Anything, just avoid hung parliament and lib dems at all costs! I got 5 kids to feed
  • competitionscafe
    But their amnesty to illegal immigrants is a daft one.
    Originally posted by gvlewis
    There is already an 'amnesty' for anyone who has been here for 14 years (or 10 years under certain circumstances). Funny how none of the Murdoch press mentions this!

What is daft about people who are outside the system being brought into it and paying income tax etc? They cannot be deported if you don't know where they are and their illegal status means they are open to exploitation and abuse. Most illegal immigrants work as obviously they cannot claim benefits so as they are working anyway (usually doing jobs that nobody else wants to do) they might as well pay tax. Seems sensible to me.
    http://thedailyzeitgeist.com/2010/04/21/the-illegal-immigrant-amnesty-already-exists-in-uk-law-the-14-year-rule-explained-3/
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • eurovision_fan
    • By eurovision_fan 5th May 10, 12:12 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    eurovision_fan
    I don't want a conservative government at all (coalition or otherwise), and I would prefer a Liberal Democrat Majority but since that would be an unfeasible nigh on impossible swing in the General Election, I would accept Labour as a Government whether as a majority or coalition with LD.

Whilst Labour has made some mess-ups in its 13 years of office, it has also brought forward a future that is more fair for all;
    • Equalised the age of consent for all sexualities
      (Prior it was 16 for hetrosexual and 18 for homosexual)
    • Allows all homosexuals to have a commitment ceremony
      (Proposals are on the table for it to be called marriage)
    • Has introduced and increased the Minimum Wage to ensure equality for all workpeople working on a pro rata basis.
    Now before I get shouted down by other members of this forum, but I am well aware of their mistakes such as abolition of the 10p tax band.

Now I am truely a Liberal Democrate at heart but in my constituency (Nuneaton) they would need at least a 48% swing towards the LD for us to turn orange, so I'm putting my X on Labour.
    Wins so far 2015:
    £15 Beefeater Vouchers
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 5th May 10, 12:13 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    I voted to cast out Labour in this poll.

By nature, I'm a floating voter, more LibDem than anything, perhaps, but will vote Conservative tomorrow. They are the only ones who have conducted a positive campaign. I'm retired and I've pretty much studied the election continuously over the last few weeks, and read the BBC News Election 2010 website for each of the top 3 parties' proposals on various topics.

I just cannot bear to watch Labour's absolute spin and lies any more. It's been sickening to watch. They have deliberately told lies about the Conservative policy and sadly people will be influenced by them. In addition, there appears to be major corruption with the postal votes, which, of course, suit Labour best. They are so venal that they will do nothing to stop this. Horrible, horrible people.

I will vote Conservative because their policies gell most with what I think the Country and me need at the most. I think they are different from 13 years ago, and I like and trust David Cameron. On all the occasions that I have listened to his speeches, I have found him quite inspirational. I believe he may well become a statesman in due course. In addition, we simply cannot have another 5 years of these incompetent, exhausted, venal liars. There must be change.
    Last edited by Jennifer_Jane; 05-05-2010 at 2:40 PM.
  • SoNoble
    Mr Cameron and his Ulster friends will prevent electoral change
    Everyone seems to be a bit down with this election - there is no real choice. Ordinary people are having to pay for the banking and finance crisis and the only thing the 3 main parties can trot out is "we may not tell you what horrible things we are going to do but the others are worse"

So many people don't know who to vote for because the 3 main parties don't adequately represent what most peopleís views are. I think we should outlaw the 3 of them and just let independents and small parties stand. Most people only seem to KNOW who they are NOT going to vote for!

Biggest injustice? - nobody under the age of 53 has even had a chance to be part of a referendum on if we should be politically joined to Europe. Itís about time we were allowed a chance to give our verdict on 35 years of Europe through a referendum.

Best we can hope for from this election? Mr Cameron does not get a clear majority with or without his friends in Ulster as this will keep our present electoral system. I hope that some kind of fairer electoral system can come out of the resultant coalition and that we can get more representative politicians elected in a future election.

All who believe in this should vote tactically.
    • lutzi1
    • By lutzi1 5th May 10, 12:49 PM
    • 2,671 Posts
    • 48,236 Thanks
    lutzi1
    [QUOTE=oldie goldie;32491873]All governments spend other peoples money - thats what they are there for.
    Its how wisely you spend it that determines whether its a problem.

And in what quantities!!!
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 5th May 10, 12:52 PM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    I have voted to remove Gordon Brown and this terrible government.

I have over the years voted for several different party's and I have to admit to believing Tony Blairs hype in 1997, and really thought we were in for a period of fairer government.

After 4000+ criminal laws, 2 wars I can see no reason for and a government's that penalises the hard working family. A government that gives tax credits so it can control rather than the easy way of amending the tax allowances. I realised I was deceived

A pox on all their houses I have voted this time by postal vote and I have gone for the local independant candidate. Someone who has worked hard for the local community and will make a good MP
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    • Twosheds
    • By Twosheds 5th May 10, 1:15 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    Twosheds
    I cannot believe that any rational person could want a new labour government...
    Originally posted by derck
    Well, I for one will be voting labour and I like to think I'm pretty rational.

If the cons get in, you'll certainly see changes, but none of them for the good of the average working family in this country.

Take a look around your local area - who built that new hospital? who built those new schools? how long do you now wait for a hospital appointment? (ok, it's still not perfect, but it's better than the 18 months under thatcher)
  • Mum_of_3
    I voted Tory, I really don't like David Cameron. He reminds me of Tony Blair, no substance at all and very, very slimy. I also think that, like Tony Blair and the Iraq war, he would ignore the wishes of the UK population if he really wanted to implement something unpopular.

Also, having been a schoolgirl throughout the 80's I remember all the miner's strikes and thinking "Why is no one listening to Scargill? We will end up buying abroad when I'm older and then where will we be." I also remember the teacher's strikes and not going to school for days on end. I also remember the "me, me, me" culture that was prevalent then and has imho led to the 'Broken Britain' that we live in today.

M_o_3
    • dawn_b
    • By dawn_b 5th May 10, 1:53 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    dawn_b
    they're all abysmal
    Someone recently asked an interesting question - do you think it will be a 1992 election or a 1997 election?

It looked like a 1997 election until the TV debates.
  • toriitom
    If all these politicians are so good at making financial claims why don't they all get together in one party and work out the best financial package for the whole country.

Forget about the millions each one can save by doing what-ever, get them in a room and let them put their heads together and workout what's best for everybody.
    • tabbycat
    • By tabbycat 5th May 10, 2:06 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    tabbycat
    I still remember Margaret Thatcher
    I voted Conservatives - the worst possible scenario ... I still remember Margaret Thatcher and Norman Lamont ... shudder.
    All I ask is that everyone who is entitled to should vote tomorrow, please.
  • mostly_b9
    A curse on all slime balls:
    Whilst I object 2 some thing in all the partys promises - It comes down to understanding that there is an urgent need 2 repay the national debt and that will affect everyone.

The conservatives have elitist policies which will mean it is the poor who will have 2 pay most with there increase in inheritance tax relief and there increase in the married/civil partnership tax relief (ignoring single parent households) and not removing the tax relief that enables 40% tax relief on high earners payments into pensions. As they will have to raise money some how - mostly likely through increase to VAT and not replacing leavers in goverment jobs.

Labour should get some credit for the way they handled the banking crisis but none for Iraq. I think they will raise the money in fairer ways and they do say they will protect front line services.

So it is the liberal Gleggs that will get my vote they are raising the tax threshold for all and raising the money by removing tax benefits from the rich. I also think they are wise not 2 replace trident which the other 2 will

Bring on proportional representation so if you get 30% of the vote you get 30% of seats
    • Jennifer_Jane
    • By Jennifer_Jane 5th May 10, 2:45 PM
    • 3,157 Posts
    • 4,365 Thanks
    Jennifer_Jane
    Whilst I object 2 some thing in all the partys promises - It comes down to understanding that there is an urgent need 2 repay the national debt and that will affect everyone.

The conservatives have elitist policies which will mean it is the poor who will have 2 pay most with there increase in inheritance tax relief and there increase in the married/civil partnership tax relief (ignoring single parent households) and not removing the tax relief that enables 40% tax relief on high earners payments into pensions. As they will have to raise money some how - mostly likely through increase to VAT and not replacing leavers in goverment jobs.

Labour should get some credit for the way they handled the banking crisis but none for Iraq. I think they will raise the money in fairer ways and they do say they will protect front line services.

So it is the liberal Gleggs that will get my vote they are raising the tax threshold for all and raising the money by removing tax benefits from the rich. I also think they are wise not 2 replace trident which the other 2 will

Bring on proportional representation so if you get 30% of the vote you get 30% of seats
    Originally posted by mostly_b9
    Sorry to go off-topic, but is it so much easier to type '2' than 'to'? For me, it's more difficult as I have to take my eyes off what I'm typing in order to find the 2 and then return the fingers to the touch-typing rest place (the 'asdf' etc.

Just genuinely interested in why the number 2 is used rather than the correct word 'to'. Not criticising (and not mentioning all the other spelling and grammar errors), just curious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

821Posts Today

7,088Users online

Martin's Twitter