MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Comments

• GreenQueen
    GreenQueen Posts: 539 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    She could contact her local paper to find someone to take on some or all of the animals or to sponsor the cost of looking after an animal - the press are usually looking out for human interest stories
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • harryhound
    harryhound Posts: 2,662 Forumite
    I hope you are all vegan?

Drink milk and you have a 50:50 chance of killing a baby calf each year.
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    i dont think she should as that would juts be cruel why should the animals be punished because anne has lost her job she should find some way to gain extra cash to help them
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • cindyted
    cindyted Posts: 11 Forumite
    Dafydd_911 wrote: »
    Being a moneysaving website, the obvious solution is to take the pony and the goats to the abertoir, and have them turned into meat (horsemeat is a delicacy on the continent, tastes like roast beef) buy a big freezer and you will save a fortune on your meat bills. keep the dog, cat & gerbil, they can eat the same meat, saving you even more money on dog & cat food, plus walking the dog will keep you fit and healthy!:beer:
    That is really sick!! It might be a money saving website, but if you are a animal lover you will love and take care of the animal, thats all the animal wants, in return you get unconditional love. I have just taken on a 15 year old dog, his previous owners emigrated and could not face him being put to sleep so put him in a rehoming centre. I have had him 6 months now, I love him, in spite of the fact he is deaf, faddy eater, likes his own way and can only last 5 hours between going to the loo. He will be with me until he dies. Too many people cop out at the first hurdle, all pets should be for life, not until they start to become hard work. If she has lost her job then she should write to the pet food manufacturers, put posters in pet food shops asking for help. Any rehoming centre would take them if all else failed,. If she had them put to sleep, she would have to live with that for the rest of her life, and if she is a real animal lover, that would haunt her forever.
  • Pellyman
    Pellyman Posts: 53 Forumite
    Sad one; but this is a money saving site and it doesn't sound as if Anne has ANY choice on that front.

Call the RSPA they are experts in such matters and will be able to give her good honest advice and, perhaps, even offer some options she hasn't considered.
  • Anne should try to find charities that can accommodate her animals. She won't regret that. In my youth, I had an adolescent cat put to sleep because my circumstances had changed dramatically. I still regret, to this day, my harsh action. I recently had to deal with my mother's rescued labrador after my mother had passed away. Luckily, a friend stepped in and found the labrador a home. Anne will not have any regrets if she finds her animals alternative accommodation. Anne's employment situation will change eventually and once she's back on her feet, she could make a financial contribution to these animal charities.
  • yofa21
    yofa21 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Harryhound has mentioned the 'elephant in the room' here. I agree that Anne should be able to find a shelter for all the animals. But the biggest animal welfare issue in this country is that while we generally care about the fate of 'cute and cuddly' animals like donkeys or cats and dogs, the majority of the animals we eat (i.e. the non-organic ones) will have been treated appallingly in factory farms (especially those that are shipped in from overseas). This is what true 'animal lovers' should really be concerned about.
  • phnee
    phnee Posts: 85 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No way. I could never agree with putting money above the lives of animals.
  • Cerisa
    Cerisa Posts: 350 Forumite
    hell no. There is no moral stance where this would be okay
    £1600 overdraft
    £100 Christmas Fund
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    This is a subject which is "close up and personal" to me as it was the cost of medication for my pet which put me £8000 in debt. I think people are a bit uninformed about the nature of many pet sanctuaries, especially those taking larger animals like the pony. Sanctuaries are only interested in taking on healthy animals (and often the younger ones only) simply because a. they can't afford the bills either, and b. they are the easiest to rehome. Three guesses what happens to those that don't meet these criteria. My vet bill is in the region of £300 per month and I've been forking out that for years - the last four years alone have cost me at least £16K. What sanctuary or charity is going to find that??? But my pet, my most precious possession, even though she is now old and increasingly doddery, comes first because it isn't her fault she has this health problem, and she will pay the ultimate price with her life. Now my rescued cat is on permanent medication as well, but she is cheap at around £5 a month. No way would I palm them off on to someone else because, if nothing else because it is ME that they look to and they would be frightened and lost without me. If my circumstances were so severely compromised (and lets face it, flipping burgers and scrubbing loos isn't going to raise the sort of money I need every month) I'd far rather do my final duty to my pets and have them gently put to sleep and know exactly what became of them, rather than worry that they were being passed from pillar to post, or simply not getting the depth of love and attention that they were used to from me. I have fought tooth and nail for my pets over the years, but I still know that sometimes carrying on isn't in their best interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure