MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

Options

Comments

• Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pippitypip wrote: »
    In which case, if you take your own advice, that people are entitled to their own opinions, isn't Enchantica entitled to the opinion that it's wrong to put an animal down in this scenario? :D

Absolutely, I am all for open debate and of posting of one's opinion and at no point have I called for this thread to be locked or deleted and suggested my opinion is the only one.
    I agree with Martin that this is certainly a worthwhile discussion to highlight the options to people in dire financial straits who have pets, but I also agree it should have been worded better, "to kill or not to kill" (paraphrasing "Should Anne put the animals down") isn't a helpful debate at all and preys on people's sensitivites. imho, it's almost inevitable that at some point this thread will need to be closed because of offence caused.

pippitypip

I think people are spending too much time trying to debate the wording of the question rather than looking at the underlying issue for discussion.

Yes their are animal charities as has been pointed out countless times already, but the animals in question are old and in need of medical treatment. I for one can see issues in trying to rehome a sick elderly donkey that will come complete with extensive vet bills. Also pet euthanasia is a legal and valid option, but some on here seem to feel this compares with killing a child.

It's disappointing that people seem to get 'upset' when offered the opportunity to debate something with a bit of substance and would rather have a happy fluffy discussion about should Tina buy the blue shoes or the green ones...

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    Enchantica wrote: »
    I know people have different opinions. But there is a right and wrong here. Is it wrong to kill a healthy animal? Yes. Is it right to give it to a shelter, RATHER than kill it? Yes. I am unsure what you don't understand.

There is not a right or wrong here, there is a pro- and an anti- argument, both valid, both legal. I am not sure which bit of this you fail to grasp!

"We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • slatter4
    slatter4 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Can I just ask if any of the people here, who are saying how many shelters and charities will always help, ever donate to or help those shelters or charities?

Please remember they are usually totally dependent on help and donations from the public to keep running, especially the small localised ones. Perhaps a timely reminder to give a little even in hard times? :)
  • claire5005_2
    Options
    I know people have different opinions. But there is a right and wrong here. Is it wrong to kill a healthy animal? Yes. Is it right to give it to a shelter, RATHER than kill it? Yes. I am unsure what you don't understand.

Enchantica, save your breath he is just winding you up. You will not win because he will argue black is white if necessary. I am with you 100% and struggling with a disabled GSD but I will never give up on her. Keep up your good work and ignore the plebs :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ...... but some on here seem to feel this compares with killing a child.

It's disappointing that people seem to get 'upset' when offered the opportunity to debate something with a bit of substance and would rather have a happy fluffy discussion about should Tina buy the blue shoes or the green ones...

For some people, their animal is their child.

Others believe they have no right to end the life of another living thing, no matter what it is.

So personally I can understand the comparison.

As for the debating opportunity, if this was anywhere other than the MSE Arms, I would agree it would make for a provactive and interesting discussion. This isn't 'that' kind of site though, as can be shown by the amount of deletes usually required here.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    Options
    Sorry, back again, can't keep my mouth shut on this one. There are shelters who take in elderly and sick animals and if anyone needs to find one then I am the one to contact. Personally I take in elderly and sick rats and I can easily find people for other animals. I have many contacts and can help out where needed.

This thread isn't easy for some to stomach and some of the responses were not easy to read.

There is your answer. If someone is in this situation then call someone in the know ie. someone like me. If need be I will make up a list of appropriate shelters around the country. This should not be proposed as a kill and not to kill question. It should be "which shelters will take my animals?"

If you can post links of shelters which will take animals in regardless of health - i'll happily link to them in the first post - then hopefully some will gain from it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    claire5005 wrote: »
    Enchantica, save your breath he is just winding you up. You will not win because he will argue black is white if necessary. I am with you 100% and struggling with a disabled GSD but I will never give up on her. Keep up your good work and ignore the plebs :)

If you are referring to me then I can assure you I am not on a wind up, but simply trying to stop Enchantica from derailing this discussion by claiming hers is the only option.

I hope this is clear.

• Clive_Woody
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    For some people, their animal is their child.

Others believe they have no right to end the life of another living thing, no matter what it is.

So personally I can understand the comparison.

Indeed, but for others it is simply a pet and they make no claims about it having equal rights to that of a human.

Does that make their opinion less valid?

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, but for others it is simply a pet and they make no claims about it having equal rights to that of a human.

Does that make their opinion less valid?

No, not at all. I was simply offering a reply to your earlier comment.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • cindyted
    cindyted Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 7 April 2010 at 4:45PM
    Options
    Clive Woody You are sick and uncompassionate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure