Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 26th Aug 08, 3:48 PM
    • 1,243Posts
    • 3,576Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MMD: Should you take the kids out of school for a holiday?
    • 26th Aug 08, 3:48 PM
    MMD: Should you take the kids out of school for a holiday? 26th Aug 08 at 3:48 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Would you take the kids out of school for a holiday?

You’re strapped for money and couldn’t afford a family getaway this summer. Yet you notice a super-bargainous holiday to Majorca in the last week of September. It’s much cheaper than the sky-high peak season prices and within reach of your budget. The catch is it would mean taking the children out of school in term time. The kids, aged 8 and 10, would miss ten days of lessons for the hol. You’re worried out them getting behind, but think it will be educational for them to experience another culture. Would you take them out of school for the holiday?

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 15
  • 3under3
    When I was at school in the 70's / 80's I remember my parents taking me out of school for a two week holiday in June every year. Mostly it was a caravan holiday in Wales. Now a parent of 3 I am sad that my children will not experience that. We have recently been looking at a two week caravan holiday in Dorset at the end of July. The most basic caravan is around 1400, it would be half that if we went in June.

I can understand schools not authorising leave during important SAT / exam years but my daughter is 4 ( and her sisters are 2).

We will obviously be looking at MSE type holidays for a long while as there is no way I can justify spending that sort of money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,016Posts Today

7,502Users online

Martin's Twitter