Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 450Posts
    • 228Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 73
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 6th Oct 19, 5:30 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Requirements to achieve Top Shopper
    I've also never quite understood the requirements to get the TS rate other than buying all the packs, so I just threw money at it to make sure I did.
    Originally posted by MRB
    You are not 'given' the Top Shopper rate - you achieve it by buying discounted Powerpacks.

Now they say if you buy all Powerpacks available you will achieve Top Shopper rate but really all you need to do is buy the higher discounted packs to achieve the Top Shopper rate.

In fact any Powerpacks you purchase that have a lower % discount than the % discount your Top Shopper is off your Baseline Tariff will make it harder to achieve the Top Shopper rate.

When I was a customer my Top Shopper rate was a discount of about 29% off my Baseline Tariff. Therefore, once I had a reasonable balance I would only ideally buy Powerpacks that had a discount of 29% or greater. Later I had to reduce my prepared to buy % to around 20% as there were less and less Powerpacks with discounts of 29% or greater available.

So, if you stay with PS, work out what discount off your Baseline Tariff your Top Shopper Tariff represents i.e 100 -((estimated annual bill on Top shopper/estimated annual bill on Baseline) X100) which will probabaly give you a % somewhere between 20 to 30% and then try to avoid buying Powerpacks with a lower % discount than that which you've calculated.

Hope you helps.
    • Boohoo
    • By Boohoo 7th Oct 19, 7:51 AM
    • 779 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    Boohoo
    I have just got my monthly update from PS and i was looking at the bill and it says my new tarrif will be Baseline Elec 2019 Version 3 and i will be paying just over 80 per year more IF i buy all packs.

17.86 pkwh and 23.87 per day.
    Old rate is 17.24 and 18.02.

So a big difference to me and if i buy all available packs it would be 12.24 and 17.03 per day.

Had a quick look on Which compare and Symbio is 11.39 and 22.00 per day without having to but any power packs.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 14th Oct 19, 9:56 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    National Dessert Day Pack
    Exactly same size and discount as the Oktoberfest Pack.
    Cost 7.41 Worth 9.88 @ 25% discount about 3 days power
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 14th Oct 19, 3:44 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Read the thread on Symbio before deciding to move there
    Had a quick look on Which compare and Symbio is 11.39 and 22.00 per day without having to but any power packs.
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    Make sure you read the MSE thread on Symbio before making your decision to move to them so you know what to expect.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 14th Oct 19, 4:08 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Symbio have massively improved over the last couple or so months fewkeste. The one strange aspect of symbio is their billing. They bill you up to 1st of next month using estimated billing

So mid September for example (around 14th) they send you a bill which is calculated on estimates up to October 1

However if you give them actual readings they then compare the actual October 1 reading with their estimate and compensate you with a equivalent reduction of your bill on the next months bill. Therefore you are never in credit or debit with symbio and your monthly direct debit is for the amount of electricity you use and varies monthly

Their customer service was extremely ropey at beginning but appears to have improved though I have little need to contact them nowadays

I'm. Happy staying with them though other companies are emerging like green. energy whose tariffs are comparable to symbio

There are a host of tariffs out there much cheaper than powershop nowadays and I've got to admit I don't miss the powerpack buying even though I enjoyed it whilst a customer
    • Equites
    • By Equites 14th Oct 19, 10:34 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Equites
    National Dessert Day Special Pack
    Better deal this time compared to the Oktoberfest Special Pack.
    National Dessert Day for me has a 22% discount for the equivalent of 4 days power.

And why on earth did Powershop choose to celebrate a USA special event day?
    Come on Powershop marketing, a quick search on Google would have shown you that Winnie the Pooh was published for the first time on 14th October 1926 - that is a bit more UK relevant. Or how about the Battle of Hastings in 1066!
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 14th Oct 19, 10:49 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Winnie the Pooh mugs
    ...Winnie the Pooh was published for the first time on 14th October 1926 - that is a bit more UK relevant. Or how about the Battle of Hastings in 1066!
    Originally posted by Equites
    My wife has Winnie the Pooh mugs, Tigger mugs and Eeyore mugs and, depending on what mood she wakes up in, the mug appropriate to her mood is used for her morning coffee and throughout the day

She has more Eeyore mugs than Tigger or Pooh mugs
    • Hermann
    • By Hermann 15th Oct 19, 7:38 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    Hermann
    National Dessert Day pack gave me 43.3% discount.
    • Equites
    • By Equites 29th Oct 19, 4:48 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Equites
    Halloween Pack
    Halloween Special Pack released today, in my case (single fuel, 2nd year with Powershop) this has a 20% discount for the equivalent of 4 days electricity use.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 29th Oct 19, 8:25 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    2 Halloween Packs
    Pack 1 Cost 5.93 Worth 7.41 20% discount
    Pack 2 Cost 19.41 Worth 22.83 15% discount
    I'm dual fuel and these packs are less than half the discount of last year.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 30th Oct 19, 7:47 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    You know what to do then tlcgrantham. Powershop rely on you holding on in anticipation of big discount packs.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 30th Oct 19, 8:10 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Did you see that pig flying by?
    You know what to do then tlcgrantham. Powershop rely on you holding on in anticipation of big discount packs.
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    Which of course will not materialise unfortunately I suspect.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 1st Nov 19, 10:52 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    2 Winter Shaker Packs
    Winter Shaker cost 9.93 Worth 16.01 discount 38%
    Winter Shaker cost 13.54 Worth 20.83. ". 35%
    Simple Saver. cost 6.45. Worth 8.00. ". 19.4%
    Major Saver cost. 11.28. Worth 13.89. ". 18.8%
    Little Extra cost. 5.68. Worth 6.71. ". 15.4%
    Smarty Pants cost 6.90. Worth 8.12. ". 15%
    April future x2 cost 8.47 Worth 10.33. ". 18%
    April future x2 cost 10.11 Worth 11.76. ". 14%

No Heave Ho or Jumbo packs offered
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 1st Nov 19, 1:35 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    32% Discount
    I'm in my second year with PS and still getting unbeatable prices. This month(ending tomorrow) l have used 105.40 worth of gas and electricity and paid 71.50, a discount of 32%. The cost with Greens' Oak tariff, next cheapest supplier for me, is over 79.
    • drphila
    • By drphila 1st Nov 19, 2:54 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    drphila
    Anyone else had two 40%+ special discount packs come into their shop earlier this week with an expiry date of 11.59 2/11/19, only to see that they have disappeared from their shop today?

Customer service say they have no record, so any info you have on them and their name would be helpful. In fact, anything new that came into your shop earlier this week, because your discount %'s may have been different from mine.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 1st Nov 19, 3:12 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Old higher discounted credit?
    I'm in my second year with PS and still getting unbeatable prices. This month(ending tomorrow) l have used 105.40 worth of gas and electricity and paid 71.50, a discount of 32%. The cost with Greens' Oak tariff, next cheapest supplier for me, is over 79.
    Originally posted by tlcgrantham
    The vast majority of Powerpacks on offer recently are nowhere near the % discount you have achieved. I wonder, are you possibly achieving the discount by using previously purchased (in year 1) high discount Powerpacks, and that it is the running down of that high discount credit that allows you to achieve the discounts you are?

In my last months with PS I hardly bought any Powerpacks but still achieved a good (beating Top Shopper rate) discount by PS using my previously high discounted credit up.

When I look at the discount of the packs you have bought recently, there is no way they could on their own give you % savings you have achieved I would have thought.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 1st Nov 19, 5:12 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Future Packs The Key
    The breakdown of power packs used to achieve 32% discount was as follows:
    2 Winter Shakers cost 23.47 worth 36.84
    2 November futures cost 40.62 worth 58.68
    1 Oktoberfest. Cost 7.41 worth 9.88
    By the way I did notice that PS did change the value of my hallowe'en packs
    Pack 1 from Worth 7.41 to 8.00 and Pack 2 from Worth 22.83 to 34.72 but the discount % remained at 20% and 15% respectively
    Last edited by tlcgrantham; 01-11-2019 at 5:16 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Equites
    • By Equites 2nd Nov 19, 12:25 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Equites
    November Offering
    Here is what Powershop decided to offer me this month (as ever for reference, 2nd year with them, only for electricity, annual usage c.4000kWh).

1 x Winter Shaker @ 38% (equivalent to 7 days usage)
    1 x Little Extra Pack @ 21.5% (equivalent to 3 days usage)
    1 x Simple Saver @ 19.4% (equivalent to 3 days usage)
    2 x April Future Packs @ 14% (equivalent to 14 days usage in total)
    No Jumbo pack this month.

Using the Bill Information Tab in the internet account, it's enlightening to see that the Avg Unit Price I've paid has risen constantly each month since Dec 18, as follows...

Dec 18 - 10.61 (p/unit)
    Jan 19 - 11.37
    Feb 19 - 11.42
    Mar 19 - 12.05
    Apr 19 - 13.20
    May 19 - 15.13
    Jun 19 - 15.19
    Jul 19 - 16.51
    Aug 19 - 16.52
    Sep 19 - 16.57
    Oct 19 - 17.19

Using Which? Switch Energy just now, I see that Powershop is the fourth best available option.

Symbio again offer the best two rates.
    Bizarrely, if I use Symbio's own website, they offer me two completely different tariff options that are more expensive - looking at the T&C's I then see that the tariffs they are offering expired on the 31st October.
    It's not a reassuring sign of the companies competency that their own website cannot even quote you their latest tariffs (though kudos to Which? for having the latest tariffs up and running).

The surprising third best fixed rate option is Scottish Power - they are usually woefully uncompetitive in this distribution area (North Scotland). Tempted to switch to them, even though I will be moving in the next few months, as they are working out 40 cheaper over a year.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 2nd Nov 19, 7:27 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Looks like PS are discontinuing Jumbo packs. Hopefully Equites with the Winter Shaker packs and some better discounted special packs your unit price will drop much closer to last Decembers rates.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd Nov 19, 6:50 AM
    • 451 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Tafrock
    During my time with powershop my unit cost according to powershops tab reached a low of 9.81 in December 2017

From There it rose until my final month in April 2019 of 14.06. The previous month (March 2019) it was 13.17 and in February it was 11.81

I am now paying 12.44 p per kwh with symbio
    Please note though that powershops tab prices aren't your real unit cost that would be lower. Powershops tab quotes prices including standing charge which is odd. That artificially makes the unit price higher than it actually is

However the huge jumps in kWh experienced by myself in my final months would still be the same increase

17.19 per kWh (powershops tab) is far higher than achievable elsewhere. I left when mine was 14.06
    Last edited by Tafrock; 03-11-2019 at 6:53 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,250Posts Today

9,027Users online

Martin's Twitter