Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 250
    • PatrickJ
    • By PatrickJ 16th Jul 19, 8:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatrickJ
    Can I balance transfer debt belonging to someone else?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 16th Jul 19, 8:47 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Can I balance transfer debt belonging to someone else?
    Originally posted by PatrickJ
    There are a few card issuers that will allow you to transfer another person's balance to a card in your name. Best to contact the card issuer first to confirm if they will allow it...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• PatrickJ
    • By PatrickJ 16th Jul 19, 8:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PatrickJ
    There are a few card issuers that will allow you to transfer another person's balance to a card in your name. Best to contact the card issuer first to confirm if they will allow it...
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    Thanks Willing2Learn, Should I do this before applying? Would it impact my chances of being approved?
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 16th Jul 19, 9:01 PM
    • 4,603 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    Whichever card issuer you are considering submitting an application with, you should contact prior to application to confirm whether they would allow the transfer. It is no good getting a card and then finding out you can't do the transfer...

Making the enquiry will have no impact on the chance of your application being successful.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• oligopoly
    • By oligopoly 7th Nov 19, 4:11 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    oligopoly
    Does anyone know whether I'm able to balance transfer from 2 different credit cards onto the Natwest 23 month 0% interest & 0 fee card? Thanks.
    Increasingly money-conscious
    • zx81
    • By zx81 7th Nov 19, 4:37 PM
    • 24,087 Posts
    • 26,797 Thanks
    zx81
    Yes, as long as you have sufficient limit.
    • petedevine
    • By petedevine 7th Nov 19, 5:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petedevine
    I currently owe around 8500 on three cards but I'm confused about 0% balance transfers. Obviously I wouldn't get a 0% card with this limit, so if I transfer as much as possible I'll end up with another payment to make on top of the current three. So I'll be worse off per month.
    So am I right in thinking that the advantage is that the debt will cleared quicker like this?
    And what happens when the 0% card is paid off, can I then get another and do the same again, even from the same card provider?

I've just read on another thread that MBNA 0% card is trouble as sometimes they wont transfer. The checker here gave me 95% chance of obtaining MBNA.. or 80% chance for Halifax.

Sorry to go on, all replies / help very much appreciated.
    Pete.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 7th Nov 19, 6:09 PM
    • 3,936 Posts
    • 2,150 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The advantage of the 0% card is that you will not be paying interest on the balance.
    It is not possible to really predict what limit you will be given although it would be reasonable to expect a limit in the region of the existing limits although who knows you might get lucky
    You won't be worse off each month as (a) you won't be paying interest on the transferred balance and (b) the minimum payments on the existing cards will reduce although obviously you should attempt to repay then as quickly as possible to reduce interest.

Yes you can get another 0% card at any time, subject to status. It is probably not a good idea to repeatedly apply to the same provider.

The MBNA situation referred to in 2 other threads is a rather strange and inexplicable situation the cause of which has not been identified.
    • petedevine
    • By petedevine 7th Nov 19, 8:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    petedevine
    If I get the MBNA and have the same transfer problems then I guess I can cancel that card and try Halifax, but would doing this hurt my credit score?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

4,438Users online

Martin's Twitter