• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    147718 wrote: »
    HELLO
    I am a retired basic tax payer.
    I receive small amounts of dividends from shares
    Am I able to obtain a refund of the tax credit
    Thank you

You are on the wrong (and a very out of date thread).

But no you can't.
  • Wonder if someone can help me. I received a demand today from a solicitor for back dated overpayment tax credits for £2700 , I have not received any tax credit for at least 7 years and know absolutely nothing about this overpayment and have not received any previous correspondence, I have lived in my property for 20 years and have never claimed any other tax credit, can anyone advise?
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Harrys wrote: »
    Wonder if someone can help me. I received a demand today from a solicitor for back dated overpayment tax credits for £2700 , I have not received any tax credit for at least 7 years and know absolutely nothing about this overpayment and have not received any previous correspondence, I have lived in my property for 20 years and have never claimed any other tax credit, can anyone advise?

You need to start your own thread, this one is ancient and originally a general discussion thread.
  • Wonder if someone can help me. I received a demand today from a solicitor for back dated overpayment tax credits for £2700 , I have not received any tax credit for at least 7 years and know absolutely nothing about this overpayment and have not received any previous correspondence, I have lived in my property for 20 years and have never claimed any other tax credit, can anyone advise?
  • No idea how to open a new thread, it took me an hour to open my account and post this thread, all this computer stuff is new to me
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    You'll need to call them and ask when it's for, why it occurred, why you haven't been notified.
  • do not be suprised if you hear from them again i was also told they had written my debt off as i had been given the wrong infomation that was in october i have an appointmet with cab tomorrow as a letter arrived today from rossendales debt collectors for full payment within 7 days
  • Call me cynical, but I find it very interesting how HMRC (just like DLA) seem to conveniently 'lose' any letters you send them and also send so many letters that you never receive ....
    "You did not reply to the letter we sent...." - the one I never received?
    Yet if you call them and tell them you never received a letter then that one arrives within a couple days as if by magic.
    Today I received a letter from HMRC saying that I had not responded to their letter from a month ago requesting evidence of income and as such they have made a decision based on the (incorrect) information they had. However, I had sent original P60,payslip,covering letters etc within a day of receiving it. I had also sent it recorded delivery. So imagine my surprise/confusion (and annoyance) when I called them and they said they would look through my documents and get back to me. They had them there the whole time, scanned in on their system. So they weren't even lost! Someone had just decided to completely ignore their existence to change my tax credits award. Wasting my time, more of their time, more unnecessary correspondence and causing me undue stress (thinking originally they'd lost all my docs) and inconvenience of having to chase it up.
    Yes I'm putting a complaint in, I'm not sure what I want the resolution to be though.
  • Call me cynical, but I find it very interesting how HMRC (just like DLA) seem to conveniently 'lose' any letters you send them and also send so many letters that you never receive ....
    "You did not reply to the letter we sent...." - the one I never received?
    Yet if you call them and tell them you never received a letter then that one arrives within a couple days as if by magic.
    Today I received a letter from HMRC saying that I had not responded to their letter from a month ago requesting evidence of income and as such they have made a decision based on the (incorrect) information they had. However, I had sent original P60,payslip,covering letters etc within a day of receiving it. I had also sent it recorded delivery. So imagine my surprise/confusion (and annoyance) when I called them and they said they would look through my documents and get back to me. They had them there the whole time, scanned in on their system. So they weren't even lost! Someone had just decided to completely ignore their existence to change my tax credits award. Wasting my time, more of their time, more unnecessary correspondence and causing me undue stress (thinking originally they'd lost all my docs) and inconvenience of having to chase it up.
    Yes I'm putting a complaint in, I'm not sure what I want the resolution to be though.

An apology? Mistakes happen, there doesn't appear to be anything malicious in the way your claim has been handled.

HMRC (and the DWP) send and receive thousands of letters each day. The number that are lost, or documents filed incorrectly, is actually very low. You don't hear when things work correctly because people don't post/ moan about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure