Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OllyM
    • By OllyM 28th Feb 14, 8:23 AM
    • 369Posts
    • 212Thanks
    OllyM
    Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo
    • 28th Feb 14, 8:23 AM
    Barclaycard World MasterCard (Ex Egg Money) Being Replaced with Amex + Visa Combo 28th Feb 14 at 8:23 AM
    I've had a letter this morning from Barclaycard to say that from May 2014 they intend to replace my Barclaycard World MasterCard that earns 1% cashback with an Amex and Visa combination.

Basically the Amex will earn 1% cashback and the Visa will earn 0.5% cashback - useless for me because I only use it in places that don't accept Amex!

They are also withdrawing the various insurance policies that came with the card (missed event cover, purchase cover etc.)

Oh well, it was good while it lasted I guess

More info is online here: http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/customer/cashback/guide
    Last edited by OllyM; 28-02-2014 at 8:54 AM.
Page 53
    • planteria
    • By planteria 21st Nov 14, 7:35 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    planteria
    i'm told not
    • donglemouse
    • By donglemouse 28th Nov 14, 7:51 AM
    • 2,551 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    donglemouse
    Those of you who got the 6 months at 2%/1% cashback, what have you decided to do next? Is it worth trying to get them to extend it?
    Originally posted by Liquidity
    i asked for an extension, first secure message said they would respond "shortly"

i asked what "shortly" meant and was told before mid January 2015!!!

so it would seem they need about 6 weeks to decide!!!

if anyone got a different response let me know
  • Hooloovoo
    I got double cashback again on my December statement. I'm sure that's seven months after my six months double cashback started.

The switch happened in May. The June statement was the first one with double cashback, where they didn't apply it properly and corrected it again on the next statement.

So November should have been my last statement with double cashback, I think.

Anyone else?
    • Froggitt
    • By Froggitt 13th Dec 14, 5:12 PM
    • 5,850 Posts
    • 3,073 Thanks
    Froggitt
    Yup me too. shhhhh
    illegitimi non carborundum
    • darren72
    • By darren72 13th Dec 14, 5:23 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    darren72
    I was under the impression it was 6 months from when it was applied but ended at the end of the 6 months billing period.
    • darren72
    • By darren72 5th Jan 15, 8:53 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    darren72
    Has anyone had any luck getting this offer extended ?
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 15th Jan 15, 7:16 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    Bah. Got my statement today, and it looks like the cashback from my AMEX spending doesn't amount to 2% any more. It was somewhere in between 1% and 2% which probably means the cutoff was Jan 1st.

Ah well, it was good(ish) while it lasted.
    • LosEndos
    • By LosEndos 21st Jan 15, 10:55 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    LosEndos
    Ditto,
    My last CB for Amex was about 1.7% and for Visa was about 0.8%. So neither the new or the old rate.

Have to see what Feb brings!
    • Hammer Time
    • By Hammer Time 22nd Jan 15, 3:11 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    Hammer Time
    Bah. Got my statement today, and it looks like the cashback from my AMEX spending doesn't amount to 2% any more. It was somewhere in between 1% and 2% which probably means the cutoff was Jan 1st.

Ah well, it was good(ish) while it lasted.
    Originally posted by wizk1
    Yes me too, so now we have 0.5% & 1.0%. probably claim my cashback now!
    • Winrick
    • By Winrick 3rd Jul 15, 10:36 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Winrick
    Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is related!

I have an old Barclaycard flexi-rate platinum (10 years old) that paid 1.5% on supermarkets and 0.5% on everything else. I thought I got away with not having to switch to the lower paying 1% amex 0.5% visa combo but got a letter last night.

From 1st Sep 2015 they are replacing it with the same Black Barclaycard Cashback combo that replaced the other products (eg. former egg and Hi5 cards). I thought they missed out the flex-rate holders as there aren't that many of us given how old the product is.

Anyway, anyone else in the same situation? If so what are your plans re negotiation outcomes. I already have the cashback card from another egg card that I had converted so don't want another from this flexi-rate conversion. I seem to recall people holding out for 50 quid credit plus 5% cashback for first 300 quid spent on the card. Then maybe convert to the Hilton credit card (run by barclaycard) for a hotel night stay
    • planteria
    • By planteria 4th Jul 15, 7:08 PM
    • 5,118 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    planteria
    negotiate the best deal you can, and then i would probably look to lump your limits together onto the cashback card if i were you.
    • wizk1
    • By wizk1 6th Jul 15, 10:19 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    wizk1
    Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is related!

I have an old Barclaycard flexi-rate platinum (10 years old) that paid 1.5% on supermarkets and 0.5% on everything else. I thought I got away with not having to switch to the lower paying 1% amex 0.5% visa combo but got a letter last night.

From 1st Sep 2015 they are replacing it with the same Black Barclaycard Cashback combo that replaced the other products (eg. former egg and Hi5 cards). I thought they missed out the flex-rate holders as there aren't that many of us given how old the product is.

Anyway, anyone else in the same situation? If so what are your plans re negotiation outcomes. I already have the cashback card from another egg card that I had converted so don't want another from this flexi-rate conversion. I seem to recall people holding out for 50 quid credit plus 5% cashback for first 300 quid spent on the card. Then maybe convert to the Hilton credit card (run by barclaycard) for a hotel night stay
    Originally posted by Winrick
    Yes. I got the same letter too. I instantly complained that it was out of order to have to carry 4 credit cards to support 2 accounts. I was appeased with 30 goodwill gesture. I'm not playing devil's advocate here. but...
  • LosyKar
    me interesa el tema ..

Apoyo la moci!n
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

1,916Users online

Martin's Twitter