Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion
    • 31st Jul 07, 11:17 AM
    Is the licence fee worth it? Poll discussion 31st Jul 07 at 11:17 AM
    Is the licence fee worth it? This poll took place between 31 July and 7 August 2007

The TV licence fee costs £135.50 a year, for any home with a colour TV, and pays for the BBC - that's TV, radio, regional programmes and BBC online.

Is it worth it? Which of these is nearest to your view?

A. Yes. The BBC consistently produces quality output. 7% (895 votes)

B. Yes. Mainly due to BBC radio though. 2% (283 votes)

C. Yes. Public service broadcasting as a concept is important. 5% (621 votes)

D. Yes. It's a good buffer against government and tabloid power. 1% (148 votes)

E. Yes. If nothing else just so I don’t have to watch ads. 3% (390 votes)

F. Yes. All of the above. 13% (1538 votes)

G. Yes. Other reason. 1% (73 votes)

H. No. It's too costly, halve the price and its budget. 8% (996 votes)

I. No. The BBC does nothing for me, I'd stop using it to save £135.50. 12% (1500 votes)

J. No. I pay for Sky already, it's ridiculous. 11% (1378 votes)

K. No. Only BBC online is good, and I'd happily see it have ads. 2% (286 votes)

L. No. It's another tax, why should the BBC be so special? 18% (2145 votes)

M. No. All of the above. 13% (1610 votes)

N. No. Other reason. 3% (317 votes)

Total Votes: 12119

Thanks to everybody that voted

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 07-08-2007 at 6:11 PM.
Page 25
    • Daisy Bell
    • By Daisy Bell 22nd Nov 07, 9:01 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Daisy Bell
    Is the licence fee worth it? This poll took place between 31 July and 7 August 2007

The TV licence fee costs £135.50 a year, for any home with a colour TV, and pays for the BBC - that's TV, radio, regional programmes and BBC online.

Is it worth it? Which of these is nearest to your view?

A. Yes. The BBC consistently produces quality output. 7% (895 votes)

B. Yes. Mainly due to BBC radio though. 2% (283 votes)

C. Yes. Public service broadcasting as a concept is important. 5% (621 votes)

D. Yes. It's a good buffer against government and tabloid power. 1% (148 votes)

E. Yes. If nothing else just so I donít have to watch ads. 3% (390 votes)

F. Yes. All of the above. 13% (1538 votes)

G. Yes. Other reason. 1% (73 votes)

H. No. It's too costly, halve the price and its budget. 8% (996 votes)

I. No. The BBC does nothing for me, I'd stop using it to save £135.50. 12% (1500 votes)

J. No. I pay for Sky already, it's ridiculous. 11% (1378 votes)

K. No. Only BBC online is good, and I'd happily see it have ads. 2% (286 votes)

L. No. It's another tax, why should the BBC be so special? 18% (2145 votes)

M. No. All of the above. 13% (1610 votes)

N. No. Other reason. 3% (317 votes)

Total Votes: 12119
    Originally posted by MSE Lawrence
    Yes, but who won? Is it thumbs up or down for the BBC? (Maths never was my strong point!) :confused:

"Common Sense is really not so common!"
  • guppy
    Yes, but who won? Is it thumbs up or down for the BBC? (Maths never was my strong point!) :confused:
    Originally posted by Daisy Bell
    The "no" people "won" by a significant margin. Next week, we are voting to abolish income tax
    • Daisy Bell
    • By Daisy Bell 23rd Nov 07, 5:59 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Daisy Bell
    Oh Yeah?

• mercuryrising
    Tv Licence Fee
    I know the poll has ended but paying the TV licence fee is of interest to me.

Why should I pay for a TV licence when I don't have terrestial arial and all my tv comes through Sky which I already pay a monthly fee.

Someone told me a few months back that there is a formed group of high profile businessmen who are refusing to pay for the TV licence fee due to not having terrestial TV. However, I also heard that the BBC won't take them to court about the non payment because it is deemed that they would lose which would open up a big can of worms for everyone else who only uses Sky for TV pleasure.
    • Daisy Bell
    • By Daisy Bell 14th Mar 08, 4:48 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Daisy Bell
    Well, taking that to it's logical conclusion, when everything is digital, and there is no terrestrial TV or radio, those businessmen (and presumably everyone else) paying a subscription for their TV (not Freeview) will be within their rights not paying the BBC License?

• Defiant
    Originally posted by Daisy Bell

The poll reflects other neutral opinion polls I've seen by Mori and Yougov where the majority have just about had enough of subsidising this selfish & arrogant minorities TV

YES 3948

NO 8232
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,223Users online

Martin's Twitter