CIFAS Removed but still getting declined

Options
Dear All,

I had a CIFAS marker unwittingly placed against me for mortgage fraud because a previous broker applied for a mortgage and entered a catalogue of inaccurate information.

I received DSAR from CIFAS, which informed me NatWest had applied the marker in May 2018.

Anyway, I have unpicked the mess and NatWest have now removed the marker, as I had no involvement whatsoever with the bogus information that was submitted to them.

However, I still cannot get a mortgage in principle online with any lender..... My credit score is good so I can only imagine it’s the CIFAS marker still showing somewhere on records.

The CIFAS marker never showed up on my credit file or on Check My File, so checking here doesn’t help.

Does anyone know anything about the removal of markers and how long it takes to be completely gone after they have been removed?

I had it removed on Wednesday but still no joy with online AIPs yet (Saturday).

Could it just be an online thing? Would a new mortgage broker speaking directly to a Business Development manager at the lender yield a breakthrough?

I’m pulling my hair out. My wife and I are expecting identical twins boys in March and we really want to secure the purchase of a new build that is ready.

Streeeeessssssed! Matt :)

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    check hunter
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    check hunter

More specifically National Hunter.

I find it hard to believe that you're paying for the sins of the previous owners after all this time. Especially as debt is on a person, not an address.

For what it's worth only protective CIFAS "markers" will show up in your credit file. You need to SAR CIFAS to see if someone thinks you've been up to no good.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request

Best of luck.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your credit score has no bearing on lending, your history is what is seen.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    More specifically National Hunter.

I find it hard to believe that you're paying for the sins of the previous owners after all this time. Especially as debt is on a person, not an address.

For what it's worth only protective CIFAS "markers" will show up in your credit file. You need to SAR CIFAS to see if someone thinks you've been up to no good.

https://www.cifas.org.uk/contact-us/subject-access-request

Best of luck.

Are you even reading posts instead of posting irrelevant responses? Try reading the posts instead before posting.
    OP never said anything about previous owners of a house or occupiers and considering the OP has already done a subject access and obtained the information, again your response is totally out of sync.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sassy-one wrote: »
    Are you even reading posts instead of posting irrelevant responses? Try reading the posts instead before posting.
    OP never said anything about previous owners of a house or occupiers and considering the OP has already done a subject access and obtained the information, again your response is totally out of sync.

Doing another SAR would be helpful, given that they're still getting declined.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I think you need to allow longer than 3 working days for the removal to filter through to all of the CRA's etc
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sassy-one wrote: »

National Hunter is still worth checking.
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    I think you need to allow longer than 3 working days for the removal to filter through to all of the CRA's etc

from my own experience when i had an unfair CIFAS marker put on then got it removed, it was updated straight away. The very next day when i got confirmation from CIFAS it was removed i applied for banks and got accepted straight away. Not for current accounts as my credit wasnt great but basic accounts which i was getting rejected for straight away previously.

You would think although the CRA update your reports monthly, that a CIFAS would be updated in real time so anyone doing a credit search would see the CIFAS marker is off your record even though its not updated for you personally
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure