Q&A with Work and Pensions Minister Maria Miller on child support changes

Comments

• The idea of strengthening families and parental alienation is a perfect opportunity to change the law and class it as child cruelty - especially if that cruelty is for making a gain or securing assets for the person or another committing that cruelty.

My question for Maria Miller.

Can you please amend legislation to make parental alienation a criminal offence and place it on the statute book alongside child sex offences and economic crimes?
  • hiya,

on that petition site it says: Its public consultation ends on 7 April 2011
    so does that mean that in the next few weeks all cases will recieve a letter to pay a charge or will this only happen once the new system is all sorted out?
    is this a one off fee or yearly?

also will there be a online calculator to show how much is to be paid on the new system?

thanks in advance,
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    claire1234 wrote: »
    hiya,

so does that mean that in the next few weeks all cases will recieve a letter to pay a charge or will this only happen once the new system is all sorted out?

also will there be a online calculator to show how much is to be paid on the new system?

thanks in advance,
    Nothing will happen until legislation has been passed. So about April 2012 if you're lucky.
    *SIGH*
    :D
  • DX2
    Roy_G_Biv wrote: »
    The idea of strengthening families and parental alienation is a perfect opportunity to change the law and class it as child cruelty - especially if that cruelty is for making a gain or securing assets for the person or another committing that cruelty.

My question for Maria Miller.

Can you please amend legislation to make parental alienation a criminal offence and place it on the statute book alongside child sex offences and economic crimes?
    So will that be applicable to both the NRP and the PWC?
    *SIGH*
  • DX2 wrote: »
    Nothing will happen until legislation has been passed. So about April 2012 if you're lucky.

thanks,

wont bother worrying then, bet the kids will be grown up by the time
    they`ve sorted it out,
    were still on csa1!
  • claire1234 wrote: »
    hiya,

thanks in advance,

The aim is for this new 'future scheme' to start in the Autumn of this year, for at least the first six months it will only be open to new applicants, and then after that the CSA will look at closing existing cases and offering their clients the option of either coming to a private agreement with their ex or put an application in under the new scheme. I think that the application charge is a one-off, although if you choose to use the CSA for the money collection service as well as the calculation then there will be a certain percent of the maintenance amount charged which will go direct to CSA/CMEC every month.
  • JSB43
    JSB43 Posts: 67 Forumite
    DX2 wrote: »
    So will that be applicable to both the NRP and the PWC?

I would expect so.
  • DX2
    JSB43 wrote: »
    I would expect so.
    That's grand :D
    *SIGH*
  • fannyanna
    fannyanna Posts: 2,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a question which I'm sure has already been asked on this thread (but there's A LOT of stuff to trawl through).

My husband has 2 children with 2 different women (I know!) and both cases are with the CSA. One would be fine to have a private arrangement but that would mean paying 20% (on top of the PA) to the other crazy ex rather than 10% to each (20% for 2 children split between the two mothers).

So if his cases get closed his crazy ex would probably apply (and pay the charge) to have her case re-opened. That's fine. But would we then need to pay to get the second case opened again?

Or could we have a PA with the "normal" ex and would the CSA recognise that we were paying maintenance and therefore not make us pay 20% to the crazy ex.

Sorry if that was all a complete waffle!
  • Some very good questions raised here.

Has anyone considered approaching the Work & Pensions Secretary Ian Duncan-Smith with these?
    Denny's Franchisee of the year (Best Restaurant) 1989-1991.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure