Hoping for a little help.

Options
ThrowawayBeard
ThrowawayBeard Posts: 6 Forumite
edited 11 December 2019 at 10:15PM in Credit file & ratings
Back story.
My Dad died a few years back, while I was already in a huge battle with depression. Took a couple years to sort out, and in that time I got into a decent amount of debt while not working. Fully appreciate that it's my fault, and that I do/did owe 90% of the money. Most thing are now clear, thankfully.

Now on to today's issue. I've got home from work to find a "Notification of Intention to file a Default" from Welsh Water. A little bit of a shock, as I received a fairly strongly worded letter from Orbit a little over six months ago, and have a payment plan of £100 a month with them. All 6 months paid as they should be.

I'm sure it'll be an easy fix once I can get hold of Welsh Water and Orbit tomorrow. But, can anyone shed a little light in why I've received this? An oversight maybe? Is it just automated due to the amount left to pay off? Currently £1153 and change.

Cheers,
Beard

Note* I THINK this is in the right section. Hoping mods can move it, if not.

Comments

• Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Options
    I don't understand why Welsh Water would want to take this action if you have a payment plan and have been paying them £100 a month as agreed. Presumably they are continuing to supply you with water?
  • ThrowawayBeard
    Options
    Aye, to say I'm confused is an understatement. I have online records to show £100 leaving my account every month on the 2nd (apart from November, when it left on the 4th) to Orbit.

The only thing that I can think at the moment, is that it's been generated automatically due to being the end of the year. That said, I would have assumed that, that would happen at the end of the financial year.
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    I assume that Welsh Water have served the default notice because you are in arrears of your original contractual agreement. A default means the creditor and customer relationship has broken down. You should have at least 14 days to negotiate a payment plan...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • ThrowawayBeard
    Options
    I assume that Welsh Water have served the default notice because you are in arrears of your original contractual agreement. A default means the creditor and customer relationship has broken down. You should have at least 14 days to negotiate a payment plan...

Would my payment plan with Orbit not negate that, though? I have no issue continuing to pay the £100 month. But, simply do not have £1100.
  • onthemend88
    Options
    Probably a really silly thought but although you have been paying £100 a month to pay your Welsh Water/Orbit arrears, have you also continued to pay your regular monthly bill to Welsh Water?
    First Time Buyer
    AIP 18/02/2020 - Full Application 25/02/2020 - Valuation - 16/03/2020
    17/03/2020 - Mortgage Offer Issued
    23/03/2020 - LOCKDOWN

19/06/2020 - Exchange of Contracts
    07/08/2020 - Officially Homeowners
  • ThrowawayBeard
    Options
    Probably a really silly thought but although you have been paying £100 a month to pay your Welsh Water/Orbit arrears, have you also continued to pay your regular monthly bill to Welsh Water?

My brother thought that may be the issue. But, I was told that as it is with Orbit, they are taking payment for both (the debt includes this year's bill from what I was told) I'll be giving them a call on my lunch break today to try and figure it out. If I can't get through then, I'll call them when I get home.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A default just means the full outstanding balance becomes legally due, it does not mean you have to pay it all at once, its more of a regulatory notice for your inormation, rather than anything else.

If you already have a payment plan in place, then theres nothing more you can do.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • ThrowawayBeard
    ThrowawayBeard Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 12 December 2019 at 9:09PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    A default just means the full outstanding balance becomes legally due, it does not mean you have to pay it all at once, its more of a regulatory notice for your inormation, rather than anything else.

If you already have a payment plan in place, then theres nothing more you can do.

OK. So, essentially it's just a formality on their part, and my payment plan with Orbit will continue until cleared?

Edit. Spoke to Orbit on my lunch break, and they couldn't understand why WW had issued the default notice.

Spoke to WW when I got home, but their debt department was closed. So, Jordan (seems like a nice lad) has emailed them to figure out exactly what's going on, and is going to give me a call at 5:15 tomorrow.
  • ThrowawayBeard
    Options
    Update.

Jordan phoned me at 5:15 on the dot. The default is essentially just a formality. Sort of sucks to have one on my record. But, it's not the end of the world. Nothing changes at my end. Debt stays with Orbit. Existing payment plan stays as it is.

Mods: If you want to close the thread, feel free.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure