Pendleton Somerby Hybrid Bike

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Hard to think why anyone these days would buy a bike that didn’t have disc brakes.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hard to think why anyone these days would buy a bike that didn’t have disc brakes.

Maybe when you are looking for a classic ladies bicycle from Halfords. They all have v-brakes. None of them have discs.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Plenty of reasons not to.

The extra weight and the extra care and attention needed to keep them running efficiently are two main ones.

The main reason bikes have disc brakes is because manufacturers need to constantly add new stuff to new models to differentiate.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,115 Forumite
    cubegame wrote: »
    Plenty of reasons not to.

The extra weight and the extra care and attention needed to keep them running efficiently are two main ones.

The main reason bikes have disc brakes is because manufacturers need to constantly add new stuff to new models to differentiate.

Do you still drive a car with drum brakes all round?

Have you tried disc brakes?

I, initially somewhat reluctantly, moved over and I'm impressed. They need less maintenance and the weight isn't an issue. It effectively moves some weight from the rims where it needs more effort to move it to the hub where it needs less.

If people are very occasional riders it may not matter very much, but for people riding a lot in all weathers they bring a lot of advantages.
  • cubegame
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    Do you still drive a car with drum brakes all round?

Have you tried disc brakes?

I, initially somewhat reluctantly, moved over and I'm impressed. They need less maintenance and the weight isn't an issue. It effectively moves some weight from the rims where it needs more effort to move it to the hub where it needs less.

If people are very occasional riders it may not matter very much, but for people riding a lot in all weathers they bring a lot of advantages.

A car needs much much more stopping power so it's not a useful comparison.

On a bike, disc brakes are the best way to compensate for poor braking technique. If you brake properly (ie. Using only the front brake) they are actually quite dangerous because of the non-linear modulation.
  • Nebulous2
    edited 26 May 2019 at 1:07PM
    A car needs much much more stopping power so it's not a useful comparison.

On a bike, disc brakes are the best way to compensate for poor braking technique. If you brake properly (ie. Using only the front brake) they are actually quite dangerous because of the non-linear modulation.

The car comparison is a useful one - to highlight that technology changes and some people have difficulty changing with it.

That argument about modulation is nonsense. One of the advantages of disc brakes is that the modulation is much better than with pads.

I see you've now sidestepped the maintenance issues of rim brakes and the weight that you asserted earlier.
  • cubegame
    The car comparison is a useful one - to highlight that technology changes and some people have difficulty changing with it.

That argument about modulation is nonsense. One of the advantages of disc brakes is that the modulation is much better than with pads.

I see you've now sidestepped the maintenance issues of rim brakes and the weight that you asserted earlier.

It all depends if the technology is necessary or is being developed to sell bikes. It's easy to sell people stuff they don't need.

The modulation argument is about braking ability. If you front brake only (ie. properly) then disc brake modulation is poor as it's non-linear (it grabs). If you're less technically able as a rider then disc brakes will help you to compensate for that.

Maintenance is known to be an issue with discs. I fettle bikes a lot and I spend much more time tuning my disc brake bikes than the rim brake bikes (a pad change is not onerous).

Disc brakes are heavier, end of. They also require heavier wheels and forks to cope with the braking forces at the hub.
  • Nebulous2
    It all depends if the technology is necessary or is being developed to sell bikes. It's easy to sell people stuff they don't need.

The modulation argument is about braking ability. If you front brake only (ie. properly) then disc brake modulation is poor as it's non-linear (it grabs). If you're less technically able as a rider then disc brakes will help you to compensate for that.

Maintenance is known to be an issue with discs. I fettle bikes a lot and I spend much more time tuning my disc brake bikes than the rim brake bikes (a pad change is not onerous).

Disc brakes are heavier, end of. They also require heavier wheels and forks to cope with the braking forces at the hub.

Again - that is rubbish. Modulation with disc brakes is better than with pads. It is also more consistent, much less affected by wet weather for instance.

Changing pads is fine, but if you're cycling a lot rim brakes will wear out the rims. You then need new wheels, or to get the wheels rebuilt with new rims.

Cable discs can be awkward to setup, but hydraulic discs rarely need anything other than new pads.

Swings and roundabouts with weight. You need a decent fork and thru-axles are preferable, but you save on the rims as you don't need a brake track. Moving weight to the centre of the wheel reduces the effort it takes to get up to speed.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite

Oh God, you’re just SO right! Granny was always complaining that car manufacturers only used starter motors in cars to sell a more expensive car...... what the freak is wrong with a hand crank.... lazy people with too much money is what she said!
  • cubegame
    Again - that is rubbish. Modulation with disc brakes is better than with pads. It is also more consistent, much less affected by wet weather for instance.

Changing pads is fine, but if you're cycling a lot rim brakes will wear out the rims. You then need new wheels, or to get the wheels rebuilt with new rims.

Cable discs can be awkward to setup, but hydraulic discs rarely need anything other than new pads.

Swings and roundabouts with weight. You need a decent fork and thru-axles are preferable, but you save on the rims as you don't need a brake track. Moving weight to the centre of the wheel reduces the effort it takes to get up to speed.

Yes, I'll get through a front wheel every 18 months or so; but it's a consumable. No biggie.

As I've said, the only way you will know that rim brakes are better is if you can brake properly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure