Faulty appliance causing huge electric bills?

nvas7407
nvas7407 Posts: 38 Forumite
Hi

I moved into my first home a couple of months ago. Our energy provider is bulb. The previous owners used the same and they had a gas and electric bill of around 90 per month. They were 4 people. We are 2 and this month i have an electric bill of 142 quid. I asked bulb why that was and they seem to say it could be because of some faulty appliance. How do i figure out what is causing my electric bill to rise so much please? Also, is there a way to check individual appliance/gadget's energy efficiency?

Thanks

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is the £142 based onACTUAL or ESTIMATED readings?

Lets go back a bit.

When you moved in did you ring the existng suppliers (Bulb), give them your details and the meter readings. Does your bill have the same readings.

Take care when reading your meter it is easy to get the reading wrong.- there is a decimal point and you both need to ignore any numbers after the decimal and also to put a leading zero.

Forget fault appliances - this will prove to be a meter reading error.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    When a new occupier moves into a dwelling they must sign up with the existing supplier,which in your case was Bulb
    However it is an industry standard that this new customer is put onto the suppliers 'Standard variable Tariff', which is the most expensive

Contact Bulb to see what tariff you are on, and what other they have to offer - Then use comparision sites to see what else is out there
  • nvas7407
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Is the £142 based onACTUAL or ESTIMATED readings?

Lets go back a bit.

When you moved in did you ring the existng suppliers (Bulb), give them your details and the meter readings. Does your bill have the same readings.

Take care when reading your meter it is easy to get the reading wrong.- there is a decimal point and you both need to ignore any numbers after the decimal and also to put a leading zero.

Forget fault appliances - this will prove to be a meter reading error.
    I have looked at the bill now. It seems to be against the actual and not the estimated. The reading seems to be correct too. 142 just for electric seems too high?
  • nvas7407
    dogshome wrote: »
    When a new occupier moves into a dwelling they must sign up with the existing supplier,which in your case was Bulb
    However it is an industry standard that this new customer is put onto the suppliers 'Standard variable Tariff', which is the most expensive

Contact Bulb to see what tariff you are on, and what other they have to offer - Then use comparision sites to see what else is out there
    When we moved in, we weren't obliged to use bulb. We compared a few and bulb seemed to be the best. So I am at a loss as to what is causing this massive bill..
  • Robin9
    Give us the readings as on your bill please.
  • nvas7407
    Give us the readings as on your bill please.
    5 July 2018 41116 Estimate
    31 July 2018 41990 Read
    5 August 2018 42032 Estimate
  • Robin9
    Have you the ACTUAL moving in please? One ACTAUL reading between 2 Estimates doesn't really help.

Can you read your meter now .
  • nvas7407
    Have you the ACTUAL moving in please? One ACTAUL reading between 2 Estimates doesn't really help.

Can you read your meter now .
    When we moved in, this was the starting reading

19 April 2018 40434 Customer Read

Then after that the estimates were

5 May 2018 40588 Estimate
    5 June 2018 40861 Estimate
    5 July 2018 41116 Estimate

They took actuals only a last week which was 41990. The meter currently reads 42109.

Thanks
  • Robin9
    So 19 April to 7 Aug is 1675 units - about 14 weeks - 6200 units a year.

At about 12p (Bulb users could you provide an actual please) is £750 a year plus standing charge plus VAT is about £900 a year. Not extortionate fo all electric.

With so many estimates why are you not reading your meter ? (at least every month)
  • nvas7407
    So 19 April to 7 Aug is 1675 units - about 14 weeks - 6200 units a year.

At about 12p (Bulb users could you provide an actual please) is £750 a year plus standing charge plus VAT is about £900 a year. Not extortionate fo all electric.

With so many estimates why are you not reading your meter ? (at least every month)
    My mistake. i will need to call bulb and arrange with them on dates when i will give actuals so they can generate and accurate bill. For 2 people, do you think this electric bill is ok? I don't think it was this much in my previous house..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure