PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I keep a stash of charity bin bags that get put through the letterbox, under the sink. If I have stuff to fill them with it's rarely for that charity. I turn them inside out & donate to a charity of my choice. It’s recycling for a good cause...:D: plus means I can find them easily.
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Yesterday's CS bargains - £1.25 for 3 packs of baby announcement cards (will be needing those in a couple of weeks!)

10p for a Very Hungry Caterpillar ABC hardback book

£10 for a Silver Cross Pop pushchair, then managed to find someone on Facebook selling a cosy toes for it and a rain shield (negotiated both for £12). A darn sight better than buying the whole thing new for £175! Has come through the wash looking fab, not quite like new but I don't need it to look new.

Found some brand new Disney baby clothes for £1.50 a pop, still with tags on and my refurbed local Oxfam is now pretty much an M&S outlet it seems, so got a brand new pack of dinosaur baby grows in there for £3.99 for 3. Have also picked up some baby trousers for either 50p or £1 each from some top brands. And a coat £1 and John Lewis snow suit (£2) (just in case cos the weather's been so mental).

Then found local Cats Protection closing down, so bought all their kids coat hangers for £1. Also found teethers 2 for 49p, fine after a spin in the dishwasher and sterilising. 2 small wooden toys for 49p.Baby towels 99p each, picked up a couple - wasn't going to bother but Mum thought they'd be useful.

Ah is that two of us due in April?? :)

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    This one isn't strictly a cs buy but is actually from the recycling centre. Today I popped in and they had a lovely teak garden chair complete with seat and back cushions that looked unused. I asked how much and thought they said £58 so I nearly collapsed in shock! He'd actually said £15 but they encourage a haggle so I offered £10 and he accepted. It looks like the chair on this site so I think I have a bargain even though it's just one chair

https://www.beliani.co.uk/sectional-outdoor-sofa-set-5-piece-patio-conversation-set-grey-manila.html?utm_source=google_prod_search_uk&utm_medium=beezup_uk&utm_campaign=prod_list_beezup_google_prod_search_uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2pS-9v6R2gIVwjobCh2gmQkSEAQYCyABEgI1UfD_BwE

My other absolute bargain this week was a laura Ashley easy chair in immaculate condition in the mauve type colour I have in my lounge. It was free on a Facebook selling site and needed collecting from a mile away. It will look fab with the grey sofas I've got in there

Well done you.
    Mir! wrote: »
    A lengthy trundle around my local charity shops this afternoon was fruitless :(. However, I have had a mini sort out and filled 2 big sacks ready to be donated. I'm off to spend Easter with friends in Bedale so will take them with me as I always like to take my stuff to a chazza a long way away so there is no chance of me inadvertently buying any of my stuff back, (not that I have ever done that *ahem*:o).

Thoughts please on my 'Moneysaving/Charity Shop Dilemma'. I have used 2 donation sacks from the BHF shop....is it acceptable to use one charity's bags to donate stuff to another charity shop? I will probably be dropping my stuff off at a Sue Ryder Shop due to ease of parking/heavy bags. Just wondering if this is ethical/acceptable/OK??

Thank yooo and Happy Easter (if you celebrate it) :EasterBun

Of course it's OK, a bag is a bag.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    A long time ago I had a CS bag refused because I'd used a bag from another charity - I now do the same as Dark Star and turn them inside out - never had one refused since!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    silvasava wrote: »
    A long time ago I had a CS bag refused because I'd used a bag from another charity - I now do the same as Dark Star and turn them inside out - never had one refused since!

Really?
    I'd have made a point of taking my donations elsewhere.
    I did that (also years ago) when a very rude and dismissive assistant in BHF upset me.
    They lost 2 full bags of very good condition M&S, Next etc clothes that day and I never donated to them again.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    just popping on to wish everyone a happy easter hope everyone finds some bargains over the holidays :p
    onwards and upwards
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 31 March 2018 at 5:58PM
    Happy Easter to all! Just back from round of assorted shops & stalls & beaming like the tiger in the limerick (starts with "there was a young lady from Riga") as I found a Denby Greenwich craftsman's mug, still with the original Denby label on, for thirty pence!

Plus two pairs of character tap shoes which are in splendid nick, & tiny sizes which will swiftly find new homes amongst the tap enthusiasts in the valley.

Blinking well done Whizzbang & Lucy! Splendid MSE Mums!
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Happy Easter to you all too!
    Went out with youngest DD today and found New Look denim dungarees and a burgundy party top. Also a lovely Navy pinstripe blouse with a white collar and a gorgeous muted tones scarf all for the lovely sum of £13. 3 things for daughter and one for mum. She was very pleased and so was i :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My good deed for this week- I donated 15 big bags of stuff to Age UK :o
    OH pushed it all in a Tesco trolley through the shopping centre :D
    They were very grateful for it though! Some of it will just be good for recycling but there’s some absolute gems in there- I know there are some BNWT things and stuff like a Superdry hoodie- £55 new and I’ve worn it about twice as I didn’t like the neckline on it.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've got more here to go out to cs. Just need DH help really lol
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills