Opened?! :eek:

Yes, opened.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Yes, opened.

I suspect you and I have very different definitions of what constitutes sour milk.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 12 March 2017 at 12:05PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I suspect you and I have very different definitions of what constitutes sour milk.

I certainly don't use sour milk lol and nor do any of my family!

People just need to learn how to store milk properly. Leaving it out on the counter drastically reduces its life span.

ETA: I've just made Yorkshire puddings with the last of the milk dated 20th February and it certainly wasn't sour. My son used it to make coffee this morning too.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My milk is only taken out the fridge when it's being used and it definitely doesn't last a month.

I stopped buying milk from Lidl as I found it went off far quicker than Tesco's so it was false economy. I found the same with their double cream too.
  • A._Badger
    Options
    I certainly don't use sour milk lol and nor do any of my family!

People just need to learn how to store milk properly. Leaving it out on the counter drastically reduces its life span.

ETA: I've just made Yorkshire puddings with the last of the milk dated 20th February and it certainly wasn't sour. My son used it to make coffee this morning too.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you. I have never left milk out of the fridge. I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sorry, I disagree with you. I have never left milk out of the fridge. I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.

Maybe your fridge doesn't maintain a consistent temperature then. Opening it frequently doesn't help. I can honestly say nobody has ever complained of me serving them sour milk. Every time I open the bottle I do a sniff test and the slightest hint of it being on the turn then it goes down the drain.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me. I just simply stated that I use milk safely long past it's use by date.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I still find it unpleasant when used in tea after about a week.
    I suppose I could just about cope after a week, but that would not be in a hot drink.

Having said that, I'm a tea and coffee monster and with regular top-ups for the LO I can make 12 pints stretch for 10 days, max.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • A._Badger
    Options
    Maybe your fridge doesn't maintain a consistent temperature then. Opening it frequently doesn't help. I can honestly say nobody has ever complained of me serving them sour milk. Every time I open the bottle I do a sniff test and the slightest hint of it being on the turn then it goes down the drain.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me. I just simply stated that I use milk safely long past it's use by date.

It isn't the first fridge I've ever had...

I suspect the difference has to do with different people's sense of taste,
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I'll just stick to the Lidl Cravendale-style fresh filtered milk - though I entirely take the point that the use-by date on ordinary milk is flexible.

Has anyone else had problems getting the Lidl 'Cravendale' lately?
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ^^ This.

I hate it when we fight :grouphug:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure