Best Sim Only Deals (MEGATHREAD)

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Most, if not all plans, include 01/02/03 numbers. How often do you actually call on 08 number? I can't remember the last time I did, especially with most now having changed from 0845 to 0345. It might seem 'handy' but if you are only making a very short call once a month it probably isn't worth it as you could halve your monthly cost on a different tariff.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    mije1983 wrote: »
    Most, if not all plans, include 01/02/03 numbers. How often do you actually call on 08 number? I can't remember the last time I did, especially with most now having changed from 0845 to 0345. It might seem 'handy' but if you are only making a very short call once a month it probably isn't worth it as you could halve your monthly cost on a different tariff.

thanks for that.....yeah i agree with most of what you're saying. Sure i read that 03 numbers now had to be included in inclusive minutes?? so it's only the 08 like you say. I'll need to check history but i thought i called 08 fairly regularly but could very well be wrong. Also, agree that although the cost isn't huge i could probably near half it from what i've seen as they seem to throw minutes and texts about for fun these days and it's all about the data. What we have is plenty for on the go till we get in the house.

Thanks again.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    I just terminated my inclusive T-Mobile contract. 01/2/3 numbers are included in new bundles as are 080 numbers. I will revert back to Saynoto0870 where necessary, but not many other premium 08 numbers any more. Do you remember arguing with companies who insisted they weren't premium rate numbers because they were local rate or national rate numbers?? Funny how the worm ahs turned...
  • johnbhoy10
    Had a quick shifty at my history earlier and you guys are right. Only used 0844 a couple of times in the last six months and even then there would have no doubt be an saynoto0870 alternative. I must have being getting my 0345 and 0845 mixed up as there's plenty of them. It's not a lot of cash but i know it can easily be beat. Another reason why i want to leave is EE/Tmobile switched off the old mast in this area and my old Moto really struggles for signal now at home. EE staff were always very big on bigging up the 08 thing to keep me.....they would wouldn't they but it's a bit of a dead duck now it seems!!
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Inclusive allowances usually cover:
    - UK landline numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.

Landline and mobile numbers allocated in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are usually excluded - but there are other ways to call these at no additional charge.

Personal numbers starting 070 are currently charged at eye-watering premium rates. Ofcom proposals currently being considered will see these numbers included within inclusive allowances from early 2019.

Numbers starting 0800, 0808 and 116 and other numbers such as 105, 111 and 112/999 are free-to caller on landlines and on mobiles.

This just leaves numbers starting 084, 087, 09 and 118. These are all premium rate with an Access Charge and a Service Charge. Usage of these numbers is now banned for very many purposes.

Numbers starting 055, 056 and 076 have non-standard charges, but are so rare they are barely worth mentioning.
  • johnbhoy10
    edited 30 July 2018 at 9:12PM
    Ian011 wrote: »
    Inclusive allowances usually cover:
    - UK landline numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.

Landline and mobile numbers allocated in Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man are usually excluded - but there are other ways to call these at no additional charge.

Personal numbers starting 070 are currently charged at eye-watering premium rates. Ofcom proposals currently being considered will see these numbers included within inclusive allowances from early 2019.

Numbers starting 0800, 0808 and 116 and other numbers such as 105, 111 and 112/999 are free-to caller on landlines and on mobiles.

This just leaves numbers starting 084, 087, 09 and 118. These are all premium rate with an Access Charge and a Service Charge. Usage of these numbers is now banned for very many purposes.

Numbers starting 055, 056 and 076 have non-standard charges, but are so rare they are barely worth mentioning.

thanks.....the numbers in your second last paragraph are where i probably gained with this sim in the past. I was aware that a lot of 08 numbers had changed to 03 but maybe not to the extent of it. Like i said, this 08 inclusive might have been handy in the past but it seems like it's had its day!!
  • Thinking about joining SMARTY sim only as this deal fits well for my usage. What are peoples experience with them and does anyone have a refer a friend code so that we both can get a months plan free. If I decide to join I will use the code.
  • kaggi
    kaggi Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m looking to move my husband to a new sim only deal as Vodafone is dear for what he needs. However, he loves his current handset, an old Samsung with buttons and no 3G so I’m not sure what networks will work for him to let him keep his current phone, can anyone help?
  • Malti
    Malti Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was with freedompop but have left them and looking for alternatives I like the look of smarty at £7.5 for 2 gig a month.

Is this the best on offer or does anyone know of anything cheaper or with more data. Not too fusssed about text and calls.
  • Malti wrote: »
    I was with freedompop but have left them and looking for alternatives I like the look of smarty at £7.5 for 2 gig a month.

Is this the best on offer or does anyone know of anything cheaper or with more data. Not too fusssed about text and calls.

If only MSE had the common sense to include links at the top of this page where they could list all of the most current best deals at various levels.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure