ACN SCAM or TRUE

Comments

• Sounds a lot like Amway to me. My experience of Amway (20+ years ago) was it was possible to make some money by selling the products but most of them were quite expensive and it took a huge amount of selling to make any significant amount of commission; most of the money in the business was made by persuading other people to sign up and gaining commissions on their sales as well as your own. Yes, it was possible to make a lot of money, but a LOT harder than it appeared.

Then there was also the business machine that profited from its distributors' fees; with Amway we were expected (not forced, but STRONGLY encouraged) to attend regular motivating rallies (I forget the actual terminology used) and buy the "tape of the week" and "book of the month", which must have been a real money-spinner for the people behind them.

It doesn't sound as if things have changed much. Books & tapes have been replaced by back-office services, and you're selling utilities rather than cleaning products and toiletries, but other than that it sounds very similar.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Not ACN, but I remember a number of years ago enquiring about a company offering to set you up as a website designer using their custom software system under licence, but you had to front £19 grand to buy the licence and get the training.

I quickly said "no thank you" once I found that one out as I didn't have £19k to spare at that time, nor would I have got a loan for it either...

I wonder if ACN are doing something similar to that, but charging £395 for website access licences?
  • Johnson87
    Johnson87 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 3 May 2015 at 7:59PM
    rizgohar wrote: »
    Dear gentleman, if you or somebody whom you know failed to make any profit in ACN then it reflects your own capabilities towards a business.

ACN and their reps sure seems to like putting the blame on everyone but themselves. If you give someone a shovel and cement and expect them to make an asphalt road, please don't accuse them of failing at the job and claiming it's "their own fault". The minute people sign up (purchase) with ACN they're bound to fail. What kind of legitimate business can claim 90%+ of their reps make $500 or less per year (that's the cost of signing up, so 90%+ don't make any money while doing all ACN's dirty work)

Funny how, when signing up people, you (I'm generalizing reps here, not your personally) will claim it's an amazing opportunity, it's easy, a lot of money is to be made, etc etc etc (basically every argument possible to convince people on joining) but oops, once most of them fail and complain then you get out the "The ultimate MLM script : You won't believe how effective this is on gullible people!" handbook and claim "ACN is not for everyone" or even "You haven't put in enough effort" while they have no clue what that person has done.

Sounds a lot like Amway to me. My experience of Amway (20+ years ago) was it was possible to make some money by selling the products but most of them were quite expensive and it took a huge amount of selling to make any significant amount of commission; most of the money in the business was made by persuading other people to sign up and gaining commissions on their sales as well as your own. Yes, it was possible to make a lot of money, but a LOT harder than it appeared.

Then there was also the business machine that profited from its distributors' fees; with Amway we were expected (not forced, but STRONGLY encouraged) to attend regular motivating rallies (I forget the actual terminology used) and buy the "tape of the week" and "book of the month", which must have been a real money-spinner for the people behind them.

It doesn't sound as if things have changed much. Books & tapes have been replaced by back-office services, and you're selling utilities rather than cleaning products and toiletries, but other than that it sounds very similar.

It's the same, but ACN is considered innovative because it's technologies and not actual physical products. They claim prices are competitive, but like Amway product, they are not and more often than not, they're overpriced. Similar to the Amway tools and what you said about the "STRONGLY encouraged" fees, ACN has the same : YBA (Your Business Assistant) is a $39,99 monthly fee for a website offering tools to track your business and whatnot. While you're not forced to get it, your success "depends on it". (ie: if you fail and don't pay for YBA, they will claim it's because you haven't put enough effort by purchasing the YBA.

All in all, it's a huge scam, pyramid scheme, rip off, whatever you call it. Stay far away from it. And like I posted earlier in this thread, if you're looking for more info on ACN check out acnpyramidscheme.com
  • PlutoinCapricorn
    PlutoinCapricorn Posts: 4,598 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same old "you didn't work hard enough" or "It just wasn't for you" - whatever the MLM product. Mentioned many times on here e.g.

"Now lets see, if I answer yes then you reply with "You didn't work hard enough, so you failed and that's why you don't like kleeneze. It wasn't kleeneze's fault you failed, it was yours for not working hard enough".

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2458741&page=3
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Well, the truth about ACN is that its a pyramid scheme under disguise. ACN has NO product to sell !! If you sign for them, you will get your utility bills from different companies e.g. you may get your gas bill from British Gas, elec bill from Npower and telephone/boradband from Sky. So this is a proof itself. DO i need to say more? Now anyone arguing that they find the best deal for customers and that is why people get different bills from different companies is simply rubbish. The income they generate is just by hiring and charging people £400 upfront and nothing else. I first came to know about ACN in mid 90s when it was no where to be seen in Europe, so this says it all.
  • trykid
    trykid Posts: 11 Forumite
    Trevormccoy is spot on. I've studied MLM on my business course in great depth. I too am involved with one, but I'm not going to mention it on here. And it's not ACN!!

VAT can not be claimed unless you are VAT registered. So all individuals have to pay the full amount.

ACN , money is purely made through recruiting. I've been to the presentation where they said 10% will be paid on customers bills. This is nothing but lies, I looked at the compensation plan in full that same night. It's infact 10% of ACNs revenue of that bill. Which equates to pennies. You'd have to gather 1000s of customers to get a decent amount.

On top of that residual is not life time, it's only a few years. A virgin media contract can be reviewed by Virgin themselves after 12 months then your residual is gone....

MLM is a business that works. I am all for it.... I am fully confident of that, but it's the principles of the company that are in question here.

Can anyone justify the £400 and the on going fees.....? There are other companies that are free to join or £50 to £100. And why does a new recruit have to take a lot load of lotions and potions and diet pills. My mate even bought a video phone so he could see people 1000s of miles away. I said I will use face time thanks....
  • Hi there
    I thought to add some inside info about ACN which was abused by some of its UK so called leaders. I was lured into this ACN MLM which I would call a scam but luckily I was out of it within 3-4 months after signing up. Its scam because these trained MLM upline train you weekly how to present a lie without being caught. I was shown the dream of having 10K income a month within 3 months just by spending £400 joining fee. The upline could not even speak English properly and the Regional Vice President was in UK with a fake British passport. He used to say "we sell hope"... & you need to be a good "story teller"... Thats all you need.
    They used to train their representatives (reps) to present the compensation plan with hiding the truth and be a "talker" and kind of forcing the new recruits to signup by having a big dream and vision... The RVP or SVP show their promotional videos to hype up the environment making them look very big and rich. In fact they used to earn by making them downline work and work and work and beg people to sign up... I know as a fact they ruined some of peoples lives by convincing them to quit their day job (which they call stands for "just over bills") for a new life of dreaming of buying a £80000 Porsche for cash...and a watch for £30000. They used to boost that they have a downline of 30000 REPs. Which means out of those 30000 only 1 RVP and 1 SVP earning roughly £10-20000 and their Team Coordinators TC earning 2-8000 which were only 10-15 out of 30000...
    But it all crushed down in May 2015 when the new compensation plan was revealed as ACN owners realized that there are too many people who are TC and earning 10000 a month. They changed the plan and introduced products which was another big fraud. The whole team collapsed and from 30000 only 1000 or less remained in ACN as per my inside info from Nov 2015. Even their EU President Wayne Holbrook was sacked. The RVPs, SVPs of UK had the worst time of all time who were made to sign an agreement with ACN owners never to reveal any info and never to leave ACN. In fact the real traitors who should have been kicked out were the RVP/SVP from UK who based the whole ACN concept on lies, selling wrong products, selling multiple products on different addresses and selling hopeless dream of becoming a Porsche owner within 3 months... Was ACN aware of this, I believe they were as they used to have weekly or monthly meetings with ACN management. Its a shame because I believe more than 20000 people lost their livelihood, lost their jobs and were financially ruined by the fraud and lies of TCs/RVP/SVPs as well as the owners of ACN. There should be a UK wide fraud investigation into ACN and its RVP/SVPs in UK and how they betrayed not just ACN but also the British laws and forced unemployment of thousands of people.
  • I strongly recommend to keep away fro ACN europe for any of their services. The customer services is poor, their telephone services is really outdated. They do not have a friendly website to make phone diversions, I spent 2 days to figure out their contact number and waited at least 40 minutes before i spoke to someone and then took three days to make call diversion and during this time no communications from them and the only way to find out was to make call my self and check if they are diverted.

Their customer support is very poor and contract breaking clause is really ripoff. please stay away from ACN from any of their services. I strongly recommend from my own experience.
  • GhostWarrior
    GhostWarrior Posts: 115 Forumite
    I know a few people who have tried it. All of them have since moved away from it on bad terms. One of them was a close friend who spent so much time pressuring friends into going to meetings or allowing her to check if she could make them savings etc. that she lost a few, including me. I believe her parents were the ones paying for the venture including trips abroad for conferences which were billed as being necessary in order to "reach your maximum potential".

All of them when faced with criticism also pointed out that was endorsed by Donald Trump but couldn't give any details. However, I noticed he distanced himself from the company in an interview earlier this year - there's actually an article online which covers it.

They turn gullible people into glorified salesmen - many of whom ultimately end up working for much less than minimum wage if they're lucky - but use motivational talks and promises to make them believe they're on their way to entrepreneurial dreamland whilst they alienate their friends and family with constant pestering.
  • What the guy most likely meant is ACN owns shares/assets with Virgin Media
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport