Router keeps losing internet connection

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,433 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:48AM
    DoaM wrote: »
    Have you tried the quiet line test? (Corded, analogue phone plugged in to the test socket behind the master socket faceplate. Dial 17020 option 2 and listen ... the line should be absolutely silent [apart from the voice saying "Quiet Line Test"]; any crackles, squeaks etc. then you have a line fault which needs to be fixed - line faults can also affect broadband).

Dialled the number - line seemed OK
    No questions asking me to chose whichever option.
    Line disconnected after 25 seconds with long beep

EDIT
    This post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74422005&postcount=4 gives the correct number ...

The line seems quiet.
  • J_B
    that wrote: »
    think this is your modem manual and the page here should tell you something, providing you know how many time you have disconnected it, or switched it off. If you are unsure then reset the statistics once the modem is working

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/863947/Sagemcom-F-St-2704r.html?page=59#manual
    and
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/863947/Sagemcom-F-St-2704r.html?page=61#manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/863947/Sagemcom-F-St-2704r.html?page=211#manual

Sorry - JL/PN have disabled all that info :(
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    J_B wrote: »
    The line seems quiet.
    When listening, you need to have the adsl filter removed - straight phone connection. this is the poor mans bodge it method

When BT test the line, they also test for things you are unable to hear, including loss (attenuation)
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    J_B wrote: »
    Dialled the number - line seemed OK
    No questions asking me to chose whichever option.
    Line disconnected after 25 seconds with long beep

EDIT
    This post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=74422005&postcount=4 gives the correct number ...

The line seems quiet.

Typo by me, sorry ... 17070.
  • DoaM
    this is the poor mans bodge it method

What is? Having the filter fitted, or doing the test? (If you mean the latter then it's one of the few tests a consumer can actually do, so hardly a "bodge it method").
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    What is? Having the filter fitted, or doing the test? (If you mean the latter then it's one of the few tests a consumer can actually do, so hardly a "bodge it method").
    thar adsl filter could remove some higher frequencies that you may otherwise hear without it.

I was lead to believe that they could measure line cross-talk too and possibly delay?
  • J_B
    We have a filtered faceplate
    I pulled that off and did the quiet line test direct to the socket behind
    It sounded fine.

I did the pinginfoview thingy again overnight and we had one simultaneous fail on all three pings at about 23.50, but otherwise all fine and similar results to the night before.

Dare I be really radical and say that we haven't had a problem ... yet ... this week.
    #askingfortrouble :D
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2018 at 1:05PM
    The profile change will have increased the target noise margin so reducing your sync rate (download speed). This means that increasing noise levels or noise spikes are less likely to cause a dropout.

With a 50dB line attenuation this looks about correct..
    After reboot:-
    6 - Uptime: 0 days 00:00:29
    7 - Data rate: 848/5127
    8 - Maximum data rate: 1024/5488
    9 - Noise margin: 5.1/5.7
    10 - Line attenuation: 25.3/49.5
    12 - Data sent/received: 215.6K/505.0K
    https://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

It should really stay stable at that but clearly isn't and that will be down to line noise and probably a fault although convincing the ISP/Openreach of that won't be easy.

It would be worth rechecking your stats - almost certainly your speed will have been reduced and possibly by quite a bit.

The other issue is why your router didn't resync after it dropped out - sounds like a duff router to me so worth swapping back to your Plusnet one which you said you've had working with the new ISP before and didn't let you down on Plusnet.

I can't see it being very likely that this line problem coincided with your ISP swap.

With a filtered faceplate it's unlikely to be a problem with your own house wiring which is what the talk of charges relate to.
  • DoaM
    thar adsl filter could remove some higher frequencies that you may otherwise hear without it.

Right. If you read my earlier post it says to run the test with a corded, analogue phone directly in the Test socket ... if someone keeps the ADSL filter fitted then they need to re-learn how to read. ;)
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    In fact some noise is only present when there is also an ADSL signal on the line (ie with the modem/router connected). A bad joint can act as a rectifier and make variation in the ADSL signal level audible (same as AM radio works). It usually shows up as a rough hissing. With really bad joints you can hear a crackle regardless of the presence of the ADSL signal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure