PRUDENTIAL - Changes to Life Cover Rates

Options
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice please?

As the former owner of a Scottish Amicable Home Purchaser Plan I have today received a letter from the Pru advising that after reviewing the rates they charge for life cover they have decided to lower their rates based upon incorrect assumptions as to how long people will live. As i had a policy for over 13 years they have advised that they will be sending me a cheque for £50 as a one off payment to me as a valuable customer.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy to receive some cash out of the blue, but the cynical side of me is worried that this may be a token gesture, and by accepting this payment it may come to light later that i was actually due a larger refund that i cannot now claim.

Has anyone came across this before and is it worth me querying how much i have been overcharged over the years, or should i just accept the small windfall?

Regards

Gary

Comments

• owly1
    owly1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

I got a letter out of the blue today too and I am in same position and share your views

I had a 23 year endowment which is all done and paid up and gone and I have been offered £150

Begs the question-how is payment calculated ?

Call me a cynic but normally people only pay if they have been told they must or they do so to mitigate larger loss that could come later

Maybe others know more?

Owly
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it worth me querying how much i have been overcharged over the years,

What was the premium on your quote and policy document?
    How does this compare to what you have been paying.

Life assurance today is cheaper than 15 years ago. A lot of things are. However, that doesnt mean you have overpaid.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Gary0371
    Gary0371 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts exactly Owly.
  • Gary0371
    Options
    Hi Dunston,
    From memory the premium was about £120 per mth and most of it went towards a savings plan with an element of life cover and CIC for me and my wife.

If i hadn't overpaid, I'm not sure why they would refund me??

Will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was this just a policy with reviewable premiums? It sounds bit like it.

Life insurance, of necessity, involves making assumptions about what people's life expectancy will be, and what will happen to life expectancy over long periods (decades). (It also involves assumptions about what investment returns will be over that period - as a lot of the profit in life insurance comes from the returns on investing your premiums over the 30 years you hold the policy, rather than from the cash value of the premiums themselves). Like all predictions of the future, these assumptions aren't always correct. Insurers can deal with the risk that the assumptions prove to be wrong in a couple of ways.

The first is that the insurer basically sucks up the risk that their assumptions will be wrong, and sells you a policy with non-renewable premiums. You agree at the start that you will pay, say, £10/month for £100K of cover to last 25 years, and your premium remains at £10.month for the next 25 years, whatever happens. If the insurer notices after 10 years that people are dropping like flies, or that investment returns aren't what they hoped for, that's tough luck on the insurer and they just have to swallow the loss. Obviously this means that if the insurer's assumptions are wildly out they could lose a lot of money, so to compensate for this the premiums for this type of policy tend to be a bit higher.

Alternatively they can offer you a reviewable policy where the premiums are a bit lower to begin with, but the insurer has the right to review them every few years and change them if the market as a whole isn't working out as they expected. (They still can't change them on the basis of your own personal circumstances - so they can't cancel your policy or hike the premiums to unaffordable levels just because you've been diagnosed with cancer).

So if after 10 years the insurer found after that life expectancy wasn't increasing as fast as they'd originally expected they would be able to increase your premium going forwards. If you didn't want to pay the higher premium you could cancel the policy and look elsewhere for life insurance if you wanted to. What the insurer still couldn't do, however, is backdate the increase, ie demand that you cough up the extra premiums that you "should" have been paying over the last 10 years.

And by the same token if the insurer found after 10 years that people were actually living longer that they originally expected they might offer you a reduction in your premiums in future (have they done this?). However it wouldn't follow that you'd been ripped off or that you were entitled to a refund on the premiums that you'd already paid - the premiums were based on the isnurer's best assumptions at the time, and they were what you agreed to pay at the start of the policy. And if the insurer can't retrospectively increase your premiums, you can't really demand that they retrospectively lower them.

So it sounds like it's nice that they've offered you some money as a goodwill gesture, and if you query it they might offer you a bit more to keep you happy, but it's still a goodwill gesture, not a refund that you are entitled to.

(This assumes that it is simply a change in the market or underwriting criteria, and not a genuine case of overpayment, eg where the insurer originally told you that the premiums would be £150/month, but has actually been taking £160/month from your direct debit. Obviously in that situation you would be due a refund.)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    From memory the premium was about £120 per mth and most of it went towards a savings plan with an element of life cover and CIC for me and my wife.

This is a very specific (and obsolete) type of policy. Its not a mainstream plan.
    If i hadn't overpaid, I'm not sure why they would refund me??
    Most of these plans have reviewable premiums. The premium levels can be changed at review points (typically every 5 years after an initial period that is often 10 or 15 years).

As this type of plan is obsolete, they are probably playing nice in attempt to keep you as most people with this type of plan move off it once they realise they went obsolete around 1995. (all that said, there are a couple of providers that still offer them but its unlikely that they would fit the objective)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Gary0371
    Options
    Thanks for such an in depth reply, much appreciated.

As far as i am aware it was a non reviewable premium as it never changed during the 13 years i maintained the policy.

I'm going to call then at the weekend to find iut more about it.
  • strontium70
    Options
    I have exactly the same situation as the original poster here. I had an endowment with Scottish Amicable/Prudential from 1999 to last year and then cashed it in. I received a letter from them and then a cheque for £100 ( which I havent cashed in yet ) Im not one to look a gift horse in the mouth - but am not naieve to think that a company I no longer have any investment or funds with is doing this "as a valued former customer " unless there is a reason.

The figures mentioned of 50/100/150 seem a little rounded for something which ( I presume) was a calculation over a timespan. I think it may merit a phone call ...
  • afc1_mike
    Options
    Hi,

Did anybody speak to the Pru and get an answer to this as I got a letter from them this week mentioning a cheque for £1000, which is a very nice windfall, but I'm no longer a customer as the policy (Scottish Amicable Home Purchaser Second Series) matured and paid out last year and seems very generous. (I'm not complaining! :-))

I originally took the policy out in 1992, but only used it for two years as a vehicle to pay off my mortgage as I then took out a separate repayment mortgage and simply continued the endowment payments and used it as a savings and insurance plan.

So, if anybody has spoken to the Pru it would be nice to know what they said.
  • R0CKY
    R0CKY Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I got one of these letters this week. I had an endowment with them years ago. Out of the blue they want to send me a cheque with what sounds like a !!!!!!!! reason?

Nobody mails out cheques unless they have to. If this was a marketing ploy it would be a £10 Amazon voucher.

Intruiging.
    Rocky.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family