Free antivirus software article

Comments

• hi all
    another great little tool is adfender

its a great ad blocker and its freeeeeeeeeeee :j
    cant post links due to being new so i just wrote (dot com) at the end of the name

wwwdot adfender dot com :D
  • PM1
    PM1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    My banks keep on wanting me to install Trusteer. I read the terms and conditions a year or so ago and noticed that it wanted to place a keyboard logger on my computer, so I have never installed it. Does anybody have any experience with it?

Just for the record I was having trouble with all my Virus checkers being CPU intensive and slowing the PC down while working, so I opted for VIPRE which I paid for. It works well and I can still continue working while virus checking. Unfortunately it interfered with my ZoneAlarm firewall and the Vipre people helped me get things sorted out, which involved removing SupeAntiSpyware, Spybot Search and Destroy, MalwareBytes and Winpatrol, and I changed Zonealarm for Comodo Firewall, but the system runs well now.

VIPRE is available on a 30 day trial. I don't work for them, but I like it.
  • Jivesinger
    Jivesinger Posts: 1,221
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think it was perhaps mentioned on the older version of this thread - but why isn't Sophos Anti-virus for Mac on the list? It's from a respected anti-virus firm and is free...
  • Jivesinger wrote: »
    I think it was perhaps mentioned on the older version of this thread - but why isn't Sophos Anti-virus for Mac on the list? It's from a respected anti-virus firm and is free...

Hi Jivesinger, welcome to the forum! Thanks for your suggestion - I'll take a look at Sophos and add it to the guide next time I do an update :)

MSE Becca
  • I used Norton Internet security for years and found it a pain in the rear, and expensive. Often creating system hangs and a resource gobbler at that. I now use Microsoft Security Essentials - it's free- and fully integrated into the Windows operating system. Been running for over two years now, and the improvement in performance has been nothing short of miraculous. icon7.gif
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,669
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Dewpoint wrote: »
    , and the improvement in performance has been nothing short of miraculous. icon7.gif

put Avira or avast on there and see another improvement ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • GunJack wrote: »
    put Avira or avast on there and see another improvement ;)
    No thanks - perfectly happy with a clutter-free PC that performs as well now as it did when I first had it.
  • A word of warning don't install AVG software unless you want it to take over your web browser. I used to use it but now I use Microsoft's MSE. Have a look on Google for "avg hijacked my homepage" to see how sneaky and malicious the firm has become. With a lot of websites, when you click to download software (not AVG) it also downloads AVG "Safe Search" or something similar which takes over your homepage. Sometimes there is a box checked in the download to say something like "Help us to keep you safe" sometimes nothing. I found that resetting the homepage to Google only worked temporarily, I have even deleted all the registry entries relating to AVG and used Spybot Search and Destroy but it still reinstalled itself.

Be prepared for a lot of anguish if you download it. This is disgraceful from a company that claims to protect you from malicious software.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tonybeau wrote: »
    A word of warning don't install AVG software unless you want it to take over your web browser...............

Incorrect. The installation of AVG Secure Search and the AVG Security Toolbar has always been optional:

The installation process informs you that they will be installed but the choice is yours if you can stop yourself from just clicking Next>, Next>, Next>!

They are easy to remove. see here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Recently switched from Avira the nagwear got OTT and updates were slowing down my XP PC once a day. Too many false positives.
    Now with Avast, no nagware, no updates getting in the way. Highly recommend it for older machines.

As an aside please don't put "new" in a title for anything! It will eventually age. This thread is over a year old and the title no longer fits.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport