Electricity Bill is too high - Meter Readings increasing

Options
Hi, I am posting this to seek some help on saving some money on electricity Bill.
I recently moved to this new 1 bedroom apartment and i made a switch to Bulb as my energy supplier. The first bill i received is of 95£ a month including standing charge and VAT which seems to be very high.
Since we are out during the day time we are not sure what is consuming the electricity. I have been closely monitoring the Meter readings and it seems to be increasing very rapidly.
For example during the night when we slept and everything was switched off except Fridge the Meter reading went up by 6 units.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi, I am posting this to seek some help on saving some money on electricity Bill.
    I recently moved to this new 1 bedroom apartment and i made a switch to Bulb as my energy supplier. The first bill i received is of 95£ a month including standing charge and VAT which seems to be very high.
    Since we are out during the day time we are not sure what is consuming the electricity. I have been closely monitoring the Meter readings and it seems to be increasing very rapidly.
    For example during the night when we slept and everything was switched off except Fridge the Meter reading went up by 6 units.

How is your hot water heated and when? What does the £95 equate to in terms of kWhs and days, and was the bill based on an actual or estimated meter reading?

Finally, if you have just moved in, you would have been on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier. Has Bulb used the opening readings that you provided?
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A typical fridge would be 100- 200 Watts which would use 1 -2 units over a ten hour period. 6 units sounds a lot but quite possible if it is an old and inefficient fridge.

If I were you I would switch everything off ( including the fridge ) for a few hours and see if the meter moves. If it does, you know there is a problem that needs looked into.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Switch off everything you can find, including the fridge.

Check the meter has stopped moving.

If it has, get an electrican to look at your fridge sooner rather than later.

If it hasn't, then isolate the mains supply (i.e. turn off the electricity at the consumer box)

Check again to see if the meter has stopped.

If it hasn't, call your supplier to get the meter checked.
    (they may charge you, but this will be refunded if the meter is proven to be faulty)

If it has (which is probably the case), then you have more electrical appliances somewhere on, so turn back on the electricity supply, and keep searching for what is using the elctricity.
    Check, for example, the loft or outbuilding as well, where an appliance may have been inadvertantly left on.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    In addition to the switching off appliances as suggested check that the meter you are reading is actually yours. Check the serial number on the meter against the bill.

Plenty of scope for the wrong meter to be recorded wrongly from the day it was installed.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • OPMDaze
    OPMDaze Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    If you're on economy 7 you need to see what time your night starts. I've got an old meter and found out the settings were still the same from when the MEB supplied the electric and my night rate starts at 6.30pm to 1.30am. Two of us in this flat all day and all night and my electric use is about £100 a month in an all electric flat. Cheaper than that in summer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    i agree with Robin9 about checking your meter is actually yours in the communal meter cupboard.
    Do a "kettle on and off " test. The small red light on the meter will pulse faster when more electricity is used, so its easy to see the pulsing lower when kettle switches off.Needs two people with mobiles.
    Also , as mentioned by B13blues, Eco 7 meters use a lot on the night rate at specific hours, usually approx 12.30 am to 7 .30 am
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure