Home insurance renewal

We switched to John Lewis 4 years ago from Aviva as they offered better cover for the same price. It has gone up each year to £550 now.
So I looked on a comparison site and cannot get a company to provide accidental damage contents cover (set at £75k by John Lewis)for under £650. All the companies quoting less don't offer it at all.
Do you have accidental damage for your contents or is it not worth it as it does seem to bump up the premium. Or perhaps I need to go to some insurance companies not on comparison sites?

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    try hiscox and chubb also premium home insurers
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Try Prudential,we have just renewed ours,two bed semi-detached,building and contents inc accidential cover £137.76
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Direct Line - £450 for a 4-bed house, buildings and contents, with accidental damage on both.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Unless you have a particularly large house, one of unusual construction, or lots of expensive contents £500+ for home insurance looks expensive.

I sacked JL when they went from £180 to £300 in one year. About to renew for about £150 with full accidental, homecare, legal cover. Take the extras off and it would be about £100.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Share with us who this is with please
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills