My claim has been struck out of Court - What do I do now?

Hello All.

I have been in the process of following Martin's instructions to reclaim the charges over the last 6 years. The RBS appointed a solicitor to defend their case.

In a letter they stated the following:

"In your claim you state that the charges are: "an unfair penalty under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulation 1999".

And -

"Please specify all of the facts relied on by the Claimant in support of the contents in paragraph 3 (above), and in particular please identify the regulations of The Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Regulations 1999 ("the Regulations") relied upon by the Claimant in alleging that the contractual provision(s) refferred to are unenforceable.

At this point I sent all the other information that they asked for but not the above as I didn't know where to start.

I have now had a letter from the Court stating that the case has been "struck out" because the particulars of claim be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing this claim.

Any ideas?????????????????????????????

Martin - if you are reading this PLEASE HELP.

Thanks. icon9.gif

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You would be better putting up the exact wording of the letter from the court and if there have been previous letters from the court giving you and the bank time to submit something before the case is "set aside, varied or stayed".
  • i had a civil case against someone else but cos of lack of funds couldn't afford the listing fee and it was struck ouit, can i re-issue it if my situation improves thanks
  • zppp
    zppp Posts: 2,476 Forumite
    mickle1 wrote: »
    i had a civil case against someone else but cos of lack of funds couldn't afford the listing fee and it was struck ouit, can i re-issue it if my situation improves thanks

You should read the up to date reclaim guide, as this is a post from 2007, and things have changed completely over the past four years.
    Best Regards

zppp :)

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i had a civil case against someone else but cos of lack of funds couldn't afford the listing fee and it was struck out, can i re-issue it if my situation improves thanks

When a claim is struck out, it is essentially removed from the record (although this is done by marking the matter as struck out, so it will still be there)

You cannot usually re-instate a struck out matter (unless you act quickly and with good reason, e.g. the matter was struck out because the court claims you hadn't paid their fees on time & in full, when you could prove you had)

You will have lost any court fees you have already paid e.g. the filing fee.

I think you are able to issue a brand new summons at a later date over the same dispute if you decide to, as the matter was effectively struck from the record rather than judgement being awarded against you; this would be subject to the usual statute of limitations laws.

You say the claim was struck out as you couldn't afford the court fees? Small claims county court fees are relatively small, intentionally so, to allow justice to be done over small claims. If you really were not in a position to pay the court fees, I believe financial assistence may be available for the very needy.
    I suggest you seek free, independent advice over the whole matter if you wish to pursue this. Start with the CAB who may be able to help directly, or will give you the names of local solicitors who offer a free 30 minute session to help you.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can apply for help with your fees if you are on benefits or a low income, you can get a form from the courts website and send in with your papers. Be aware you need to send a new form for each fee.
  • cinereus
    cinereus Posts: 2,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Premier_2 said:
    i had a civil case against someone else but cos of lack of funds couldn't afford the listing fee and it was struck out, can i re-issue it if my situation improves thanks

When a claim is struck out, it is essentially removed from the record (although this is done by marking the matter as struck out, so it will still be there)

You cannot usually re-instate a struck out matter (unless you act quickly and with good reason, e.g. the matter was struck out because the court claims you hadn't paid their fees on time & in full, when you could prove you had)
    Is there any way at all to reinstate the case for simply not paying the fee?

I have plenty of covid-related mitigation but I'm uncertain as to whether this is sufficient.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 April 2020 at 4:12PM
    cinereus said:
    Premier_2 said:

I have plenty of covid-related mitigation but I'm uncertain as to whether this is sufficient.
    You do realise the post you are responding to was made in 2011? 

This thread is from 2007 originally and pre-dates the 2009 High Court case over the fairness of Bank Charges  which the banks won.  

You haven't really taken a Bank to court over charges have you? 

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Batman and Robin  HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN  image tagged in batman and robin  made w Imgflip meme maker
    2007 thread.  Wow.
    You cannot go to courts on unfair bank charges any more.  

How do you get around 2009 supreme court case?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure