Scammed from TSB

Comments

• noh
    noh Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ben8282 wrote: »
    ,........Besides which, TSB don't send out the one time passwords mentioned in the information about this SIM swap so I don't see even if the fraudster had had your son's mobile number transferred to a SIM card in his possession what possible good it would have done him in respect of this..

TSB do use telephone verification to set up new payees online.
    https://www.tsb.co.uk/security/payments-security-process/
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:39AM
    mgdavid wrote: »
    did you click on the first link and get a virus infection? or are you not on a PC?

Maybe give people a clue as to what you think that link is?
    Bearing in mind that google results vary by user so the first link won't be the same for everyone?

(this info would be, of course, in the spirit of your signature "The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....")
  • Regan55
    Regan55 Posts: 48 Forumite
    How it all works is beyond me.

Basically, someone managed to get a new SIM card for his phone in a London store, hence taking over his phone......how they managed to get his bank details is????

They then transfered money from his ISA, (and obviously having his phone, the bank send out a message, which they control) to his currant account, and through 8 faster payments, cleared him out.

My son is in the army, and is unable to keep his phone in his pocket 24/7
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Maybe give people a clue as to what you think that link is?
    Bearing in mind that google results vary by user so the first link won't be the same for everyone?

(this info would be, of course, in the spirit of your signature "The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....")

it was this one:
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/sim-swap-fraud-explained/
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    SIM swap fraud has been around for a little while now and generally the feeling is that you should not use banks such as Lloyds TSB Santander etc that verify new payees by sending out a text with a code in it

you should rather use bank such as Nationwide First Direct even NatWest! These use card readers to verify new payees and are much much secure

there have been warnings about this on and off can't remember where but definitely I have seen them

As for the question of how the son's log on details etc were compromised that is not so easy although if you have access to the son's debit card and know a few things about him you can reset the log on details - that is even scarier

Your claim is probably against the phone company you might want to take advice but certainly if you can show negligence by the phone company you can Sue them for the balance
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hadn't heard of 'SIM swap' fraud until now. Scary stuff.

The fraudsters basically phone your mobile phone network or go into one of their branches and say that 'their' SIM is damaged/lost/no longer working. Of course, it's not their SIM but someone else's.

The mobile network ask for the mobile number, address and the person's DOB - all of which the fraudster has ready to hand. The mobile network cancels the old SIM and issues a new SIM to the fraudster.

The fraudster then uses the new SIM to reset the person's online banking details and send payments across.

But to do all of this, you need to know someone's mobile number, the network they're on, their address, their DOB, the bank that they use and either their online banking username or basic account details (account number/sort code or 16 digit card number). Now a lot of that information may be on someone's social media profile but some of it won't be (or at least shouldn't be). Which then makes you think, either your son has given some of this information to the fraudsters (inadvertently) or the fraudster is a friend/work colleague/family member who could quite easily get all this information should they want to.

Looks like you've done all the right things OP - report to police, action fraud, your son's bank and mobile network provider. The only other thing I can add is that the fraudsters went instore to get the new SIM, so it may be worthwhile contacting that store and asking them to pass on CCTV to the police?

Hopefully, the mobile networks and banks can work closely together to put a stop to this fraud. e.g. formal ID to be shown if requesting a new SIM, SIMs to be sent out to home address on file, 2 or even 3 step authentication when resetting online banking details etc.

And that Guardian article confused me somewhat:

Sims' SIM wasn't working as the fraudsters claimed the SIM was damaged on Sims' account.

I hope it ends well OP. Which bank are we talking about here OP?
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • Regan55
    Vodafone fraud dept was informed last Saturday.........and last night I got told that they investigated it, and then closed the investigations.

Yea right.........
  • Regan55
    edited 15 May 2018 at 12:24PM
    Thank you Karlie88

Speaking to Vodafone yesterday, I asked them if they will be liaising with the bank (TSB) and no was the reply, they will answer questions from them, but not actually get together to work this out.

My son isn!!!8217;t daft........he wouldn give his details out to anyone, so it it totally baffling to me, on how they can get certain info.

All I know is that, my son was due to complete on his first flat this Friday, and of course that is in the air now, as he hasn!!!8217;t got the funds for his deposit anymore.

Also, to be told by the TSB the banks security is ok and working, when everyone else knows its not, is beyond a joke.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure