Driveway removed, car in a hole - my fault?

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    deaston wrote: »
    I thought that - from the photo you can see things growing in the hole. But his car was parked behind the gates, so I wonder how he gets in and out. Looking at Streetview, the photo from 2009 shows there was work going on then, too (although there wasn't a hole).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9oi2ZnYFaNicTNyeDBJaXpDZWM

I wonder if perhaps he dug up the footpath and the council didn't like it.
    From the property and the fact he's put up a wall around it, I can image the type of person.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • kirkofski
    kirkofski Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    People round here tend to use either a cone of a chain across to prevent people reversing onto their property, a giant hole is no doubt much more effective if a little extreme.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Doesn't look anything like a foot, I've seen curbs deeper that that, more like a step down onto his property.

Maybe you should stop turning round on other peoples land?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 5 March 2017 at 11:32AM
    We've had cars drive into our garden despite the fact we don't have a driveway and there are steps between the path and pavement. A taxi drove down the steps and up to the front door. He then spent five minutes trying to get onto the grass which was surrounded by a low wall. When finally back on the road he didn't think to check under the car. The taxi passenger who witnessed all of this still got in the car with him.

In the ops defence I wouldn't have expected to find a trench in front of those gates.
    There might be guidelines with regards to open works next to pavements but they might not apply to this as this is not very deep.
    As the homeowner is now aware this can happen and the drop appears ongoing common sense would suggest making this more obvious would be wise.
  • deaston
    deaston Posts: 477 Forumite
    Doesn't look anything like a foot, I've seen curbs deeper that that, more like a step down onto his property.

Tell you what, I'll stop turning on other people's land when people stop turning on mine. That seems fair to me.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Tell you what, I'll stop turning on other people's land when people stop turning on mine. That seems fair to me.
    Ahh, so you think two wrongs make a right. OK

You drove onto someone else's land, got stuck and think it's their fault :huh:
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Muscle750 wrote: »
    Going by the pic id say its not even his land as its outside the gates which tome would be the boundary plus id be asking the council their ruling on the boundary etc sounds to me as if the house owner could be on dodgy ground excuse the pun

I would say it is his land, he has just set the gate back a few feet from the boundary line
  • photome

Except the rear wheels are off the ground
  • photome
    motorguy wrote: »
    I would say the home owners versions of events would be more than slightly different....
    I believe the OP s version , why do you think the home owners version would differ
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As I stepped out of the car to see why it wouldn't move, a voice from an upstairs window shouted "What the f*** are you doing?" to which I replied "I'm stuck." He shouted back "Better get someone to tow you out then" and shut the window.

His immediate hostility didn't really make me want to knock on his door to converse further. When he appeared and said he had my reg and "would come after me" and said "don't you have any common sense?" I decided it was probably best to deal with him as little as possible.

I haven't come here looking for confirmation as to who is at fault but more how could this have been avoided?

I guess I could have parked, got out of my car and surveyed the area with a torch to ensure someone hadn't dug a hole.

Or I could've carried on driving and turned at a roundabout (?) but I had been looking for somewhere to turn for half a mile or so and didn't know where the road was leading nor how long I'd have to drive to find somewhere.

Or he could have had some forethought and ensured the trench was visible.

I guess the homeowner never, ever turns his car in other people's driveways. Or makes mistakes.

Last year a lorry driver reversed the wrong way up a one way street and hit my parked car. I was polite and understanding that mistakes happen and his actions weren't malicious. No-one died, no-one was hurt. But it seems I should actually have shouted at him, called him names, sworn and made the situation as difficult as possible. Well, you live and learn!

That kind of conflicts with the question you posed in the title of this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure