Can debt collectors see card applications?

About 7 years ago I went out of work and defaulted on a lot of cards/loans (about 40k in total), which I have paid a pound a month on since (so no CCJs etc). I am now back in work, in a decent job at 28k pa, and thinking about making settlements on those debts. I'd like to do this in my own time, choosing who gets the first offer(s), and have discretion to e.g. fix the hole in the roof first. So whilst I won't lie about being back in work, I don't want to advertise it either.

I would like to get a second card, on top of my one and only debit card, in case the debit card fails on the road -- I had a non credit related chip failure recently and was lucky to have cash on me.

I could get another current account with debit card and put some money in it. I could also get a "credit builder" card to pay off in full every month (I've learned my lesson).

What I'd like to know is whether the collection agencies who hold my 8 long term debts will see the application, its (hopeful) success, and my new salary. I imagine if they learn about it they will do their best to take my life over.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Morte wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is whether the collection agencies who hold my 8 long term debts will see the application, its (hopeful) success, and my new salary. I imagine if they learn about it they will do their best to take my life over.

Hi,

Its absolutely no one else`s business, why would you think it was ?

Current accounts are shown on your credit file as a snap shop of your balance on a particular day of the month, no one has access to your bank statements except you and your bank, there is a law called the Data Protection Act that see`s to that.

If you have debt, you may be turned down for a current account, in which case a basic bank account will be more appropriate for you, that always shows a zero balance on your credit file.

No one can or will, take your life over.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Credit agencies do not see your salary.

They will list your bank account with a balance of zero unless you have an overdraft.

Also to be blunt - you owe a large sum of money and they could at any time decide to request bigger payments from you and ask you for a statement of earnings and outgoings and demand more money.

And they could stull apply for a ccj despite payments being made, especially if you refuse to provide what they ask.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Credit agencies may be able to see your salary as anything you put on a credit application may be passed to National Hunter and is available to others that use that source.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure