PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Getting Mould Off Net Curtains?

Comments

• I don't have nets in this house but I used to just chuck them i the washing machine on a cool wash. If the marks don't come off, and the curtain is white, then you could always try soaking it in a weak bleach solution overnight.
  • Hi ,

I've only got nets in one room , but i use Glo White .....they always look really white after this ...
    It comes in a sachet , which you mix with water and leave the net in a bucket to soak .....
    There is probably stuff you can get to put in the washing machine , but this has always worked well for me ...

terri x
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Jackie,

There's an earlier thread that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

This thread may be useful too:

how to clean net curtains

Pink
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    would these tips also work on voile's ?

as when i took down my voiles to wash i noticed some slight little mould marks but they didn't come out when i washed them in just normal washing powder .
  • Fag_ash_lil
    Fag_ash_lil Posts: 5,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    jcr16 wrote: »
    would these tips also work on voile's ?

as when i took down my voiles to wash i noticed some slight little mould marks but they didn't come out when i washed them in just normal washing powder .

My mum has white voiles and uses Glo White ...... and they have come up great ...

terri x
    " When I'm good I'm very good , but when I'm bad I'm better " ~ Mae West ..
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    thankyou, i'll give it a whirl then. sure my local shop sells a sachet of glo white for a few pence . gonna start a huge spring( after xmas) clean soon so will do them all then.
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Add Soda Crystals to washing powder & use White Vinegar instead of conditioner.

Did all my white net curtains with this, came out very good.
  • I've just tried out Zziggi's tip of using Dettol's mildew remover. I happened to have some in the house. It needed just 15 minutes for the marks to disappear, then I thoroughly rinsed the nets in cool water and washed as normal. They look perfect!
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I found oxygen bleach powder (like oxyclean, although generic is just the same) get mould and the stains out of things pretty well. However, I also started hanging curtains 1-2" out from the window so they're not touching the glass which the condensation forms on. They don't get damp so don't go mouldy any more.
  • Hello, I just thought I would share with you all that my brand new voiles are full of mould from condensation on my windows. I have just sprayed it over with Dettol Mould and Mildew remover (green spray bottle one from supermarket), within minutes the mould was gone! Only downside, the spray gives me a headache!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback