Import Tax, wrong amount?

Options
Hello,

I'm aware I need to pay import Tax and Duty on items imported from outside the EU. However, I wasn't expecting the importation charge to be this much. I've been billed £179.05 by Fedex when the item cost £308 ($390) with Free Shipping. Could anyone explain this to me? I've attached the two letters I received:
imgur.com/a/zb2hQBx

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    They have decided you paid $390 for the item, but somehow have decided shipping cost was £377 added this on and are now charging you VAT and duty on combined item cost and this shipping cost.

I don't know how to get this corrected, but wish you good luck!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    It might have been free shipping to you but quite obviously FedEx charged the seller to deliver the item. As FedEx will know what they charged the seller they've added the cost to the total as they are legally obliged to do for Tax reasons.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It might have been free shipping to you but quite obviously FedEx charged the seller to deliver the item. As FedEx will know what they charged the seller they've added the cost to the total as they are legally obliged to do for Tax reasons.

If that was the case then OP has an obvious appeal.

It is not up to FedEx to decide how sellers charge postage and it is a fairly standard business model to sell items with inclusive postage. IF FedEx can't understand a simple business model and assume that seller somehow manages to sell without charging for, or building in, postage costs then they need to be educated.

All my recent imported items have clearly shown a single charge as I also buy with postage included, luckily mine have been delivered either by couriers or RM who understand what inclusive postage means and why there is a single amount shown on the label.

Even when I fill out my own CN22 labels when I post I only show a single figure of item cost and postage , I've never shown 2 figures.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Today662
    Options
    Hi,
    I first contacted the seller and he's provided me with an actual invoice.
    I've contacted FedEx and they have stated that since the seller didn't split the item value ($260 )and shipping value ($130) on the commercial invoice that it isn't their value. FedEx said if I want this corrected it will cost me £53 + Vat. They said I can contact the seller to get them to contact FedEx to get the issue resolved (I don't know if they're going to charge the seller for this mistake).

My concern is that since the seller is located in China, if he doesn't want to actually help or respond to me, is there anything I could actually do? Or do I have to just face the problem and move on?

I don't see this as my fault. FedEx says it's not their fault. I don't know if the seller will even want to help to resolve the matter either.
  • Today662
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    If that was the case then OP has an obvious appeal.

It is not up to FedEx to decide how sellers charge postage and it is a fairly standard business model to sell items with inclusive postage. IF FedEx can't understand a simple business model and assume that seller somehow manages to sell without charging for, or building in, postage costs then they need to be educated.

All my recent imported items have clearly shown a single charge as I also buy with postage included, luckily mine have been delivered either by couriers or RM who understand what inclusive postage means and why there is a single amount shown on the label.

Even when I fill out my own CN22 labels when I post I only show a single figure of item cost and postage , I've never shown 2 figures.

Thanks for your reply. I've replied above with what I've done so far
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport