Loan application and terms I did not agree to

Options
I need some help for my aunty, who has recently been duped into a 10 year loan with tesco bank by a solar panel company.
This is really long so sorry for lengthy read.

My aunty had solar panels installed on her property which stopped working she contacted the insurance provider who said they didnt cover the repairs as they notified them too late.
Anyhow, so this guy came round advising he worked with tescos, a company called go green and that they could sort out the problem my aunty had with her solar panels and also advised about battery storage (which is what they sell)
Now as he said he worked with tescos my aunty trusted him and thought there isnt a risk of the company ceasing to exist like her solar panel company, and she had security as tescos was a well known reliable company.

So these guys came round to her house explained to her about the system they would install how it would help, and that they will buy her out of her old credit agreement and then she can continue to pay GoGreen. They also mentioned that she would be paying £140 a month and this will cover both the payment to the other company and also go green. She was already paying £120 for the solar panels and he persuaded her that she would be paying £20 more and will have a working system and save money, as at the moment she is paying 120 for a system that doesn't work. She said they said they were going to see whether they would be accepted and started typing stuff away on their tablet asking their name details and nqormal form type questions (like the old company did) so she assumed they were credit checking whether she would be successful) turns out she was...
And they got her to sign a. Yellow invoice saying that they would take this battery system from them and get the solar panels fixed for £7950, the guy then said you will receive a payment and you will call up and pay the old company, and then the remaining amount will be paid to Gogreen, she didnt question the buy out as there is no link between gogreen and her previous financer, she realised she would need to make the payment.

A few days later she received a text from tesco saying her loan was approved, and paperwork would follow. The work got carried out quite quickly pushed by gogreen, and shortly after her father got took very ill that she forgot about the paperwork coming from tescos, which never arrived.
Her husband then realised he was constantly putting money in to the account l, he got his daughter to check the bank and print off a bank statement (as neither are tech savvy, hate setting up direct debits etc) . Turned out they were paying tesco £226. She was really shocked and upset because they cant afford this much they had agreed to 140.
After a few phone calls to tesco, CAB, etc tesco advised that they had digitally signed the terms and conditions online and no paperwork would come out to them except a welcome letter, which she did receive.
Turns out those guys had applied for a personal loan with tesco, digitally signed the terms and conditions, so all payment amounts etc would have been stated at the time on the digital screen (the guys never showed her or her husband the tablet) and now its turna out they took out a £12850 loan, with an 18.9%APR over a 10 year period they will pay back over £27000. Shes absolutely distraught and upset and now doesn't know what to do??

I contacted tesco fraud for her who have advised it's not fraud as they were there. Ombudsman said it's not tescos fault. I have written a letter to go green, but when we rang them, they denied their affiliation with tesco and said that they recommend tesco loans. Shes really upset and its affecting her health, she is already struggling financially. Any help would be appreciated guys thanks

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was there a written quote for £7950?

Where did the £12,850 get paid to?

Get full company name up, just incase others search for the company, to see if they are regulated.

Who asked the "guy" to come round and how did he know there was an issue?

Do a search on Go Green, taxi companies, waste management companies come up.

Last time I got a loan applied online I received paperwork before getting the money, ask for a copy of what ever was signed.
  • Mirmee
    Options
    @foxy-stoat

Yes there was a written quote for the 7950.

12,850, got paid to go green and the rest to the old company called absolute. Oh I forgot to mention when my aunty tried to back away as the 12850, didnt cover the amount for the two companies, gogreen reduced there fee by £500.

That is their full name Go Green, based is Staffordshire, I tried googling them cannot find them. I've checked their yellow invoice and that has nothing on it, about who they regulated by etc.

He was a door to door seller, asked about the solar panels and then said he worked with tescos, so my aunty spoke to him

So I rang tescos about a paper copy of terms and conditions so that we could see what had been applied for, the fraud dept advised that apparently they would have come out with the welcome letter, however whilst speaking to another lady from the CS team, she advised that because it was online, the terms and conditions would have been all stated online with the terms and payment schedules... and as it had been digitally signed (by GoGreen guy) it accepted the terms. I asked for them to be sent out and she advised she couldn't, and the welcome letter stated that you can request for a copy of terms and conditions before your 14 day cooling off period.
    I would have assumed some form of email or a letter but no.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe lodge a complaint but Ive no idea if it would work then try the ombudsman, wont cost anything.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you confirmed the money paid for the previous company?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If she felt mis-lead by this company, or that she was not told the correct terms and conditions of the loan, nor the correct payment amount, then she should lodge a formal written complaint with the company concerned, and also with Tesco.

As the finance provider, they may also be in the frame if this company "Go Green" is deliberately giving false information to customers in order to obtain business.

They have 8 weeks in which to issue a final response, you can then take your case to the FOS.
    Also check with "BBC Watchdog" see if this company is known to them, put out some feelers on social media sites, she is unlikely to be the only victim if this is a scam of some kind.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Terry_Towelling
    Options
    You have a remarkable grasp for the events that took place between your Auntie and the sales guys - well done to your Auntie for explaining it so well to you.

Can you please confirm that it was just your Auntie involved in the sales process?

I can't see how the Ombudsman would have offered any opinion at this stage.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options

Ombudsman would be well placed to advise if Tesco were ‘responsible’ or not for the sale (simple check of their system would clarify this)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Bermonia wrote: »
    Ombudsman would be well placed to advise if Tesco were ‘responsible’ or not for the sale (simple check of their system would clarify this)

The FOS helpline is a great source of information, they can tell you who to complain too, they will even write to the company concerned, on your behalf, giving them your details, and telling them they have a complaint to deal with.

So although they cannot officially become involved until after 8 weeks has passed, they can help in other ways at any time.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure