Renovating Care Home Residents House

2»

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I understand its emotional. My parents home has been there's for 60plus years snd my brother was born in it. But it's a house. Neither my brother nor I live there anymore and our emotion is invested in the best care for our mams last days/weeks /months /years on earth.

We were left half the house 25%each by dad when he died. So we each own 25% and mam owns 50%.

We decided we would rather pay for better care than was given and have given up our 50% so it in effects goes back to mam (it really goes to the care home).

It's a house, id sell and use the funds to fund a better quality of life. Yeah your wife misses out on inheritance..... But it's not inheritance until you have it.

Sell up and spend the money on her care. Is what I would do.

I'm guessing you'll have to sell it when she dies anyway to pay off the debt. I would do it now and save a lot of anguish.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    What sort of trust did the fathers 50% end up in?
  • I could be wrong but I sometimes wonder if selling a home could feel like saying goodbye to an important part of your life and your MIL in a secret hidden part of the mind. Maybe your wife isn't prepared to do this.

But selling the house should be considered. Renting it out could lead to all sorts of pitfalls and as has been said, if you are new to being a LL, could lead to problems paying care home fees if you get a tenant who doesn't pay rent for months and then has to be evicted (incurring costs as well as loss of rent).

Will the rental income (less costs of renting like LA fees) cover the fees? Care home costs are quite high, I'd be surprised if rental charges covered it.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    From my experience rental income would cover less than 3 eights of the care home costs, which is fine if other income will cover 5 eights.

Who will be paying the tax on this income 50% mum, 25% you etc?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure