Saving with existing BT contract

I live in an area which went over to fibre just over two years ago and had to go with BT because they were the only provider offering ultra high speed via fibre to home (fibre to cabinet was not available in our village location). All went fairly well but I became concerned because we were paying £71 a month for 300Mbps incl line rental. I was just accepting this as no one else offered the ultra fast speed. Today I happened to notice that BT were advertising ultra fast fibre (ave 300 Mbps) for just 49.99 a month for two years. I got online with one of the reps at their contact centre and he confirmed that I could take out a new two year term at that rate (it is 52.99 after first two years) It seems that very unfairly BT do not pass on price reductions where they occur unless you take action at the end of your initial contract. It looks as if I shall be saving a whopping £20 a month without changing company or reducing the level of service. I will certainly look again when the new contract is due to end.
I found this particularly frustrating because knowing that no other provider could offer me a fast fibre connection (I had tried several) I had not considered comparing prices!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its common practice to roll onto something else at a higher price when your deal runs out and you take no action because the newer deals at the lower price require a new contract which needs you to agree to, so you have to opt in.

Your contract is what you agree to pay for x months and in the majority of cases this is stop the price increasing. On the odd occasion it happens to go the other way it has the same effect. Unfortunately FTTP isn't particularly cheap and there isn't much competition in it at the moment either, especially if you can't get Virgin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure