Sky demanding payment after account is closed.

Options
My daughter moved house in December and closed her Sky TV/phone and broadband account. She has now received a further demand from Sky for a payment of £98, but has not been given a detailed invoice for the supposed debt. She finds it impossible to speak to anyone at Sky about this, as each time she rings, they ask for her credit card details before she can proceed, but this she is naturally reluctant to do. Could any member help with this matter, in particular with a contact number, please? One number she rang had a one hour waiting time. Sky seem determined to make things a difficult as possible. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stripeyfox
    Options
    I've always found Sky to be pretty helpful over the phone. Never had to wait longer than a few minutes to get through.

0333 7591 018 is the number I've used recently when my father's phone line became mysteriously disconnected. Turned out to be an issue with the BT Openreach team but Sky sorted it quiclky and the BT guy rectified the fault the next day.

One thing that springs to mind - was she at the end of her contract? If not, and she was still in the contract term, then maybe that's why they're asking for money. Doesn't explain why they are not being helpful in explaining it on the phone though....
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was she still in a contract period when she moved and cancelled ?

Not moving your broadband but ceasing it costs around £30 depending on the supplier , this is waived if you migrated it to the new address.
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do they have a chat option on Sky.com ?

Don't think they should be asking for credit card details, she needs to say she doesn't have 1.
  • Carlsdad
    Carlsdad Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 January 2020 at 5:06PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to be that they have the system rigged in such a manner, that when my daughter rings on her standard mobile number, she is requested to enter her debit card and bank details. If she uses another phone (her husband's) she is told that the number is not recognized and she must use a number that Sky have on their data-base. In other words, she is being coerced into revealing her card andbank details before she can speak to someone. This surely cannot be right? There were no contract problems when they closed the account, by the way.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Carlsdad wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. The problem seems to be that they have the system rigged in such a manner, that when my daughter rings on her standard mobile number, she is requested to enter her debit card and bank details. If she uses another phone (her husband's) she is told that the number is not recognized and she must use a number that Sky have on their data-base. In other words, she is being coerced into revealing her card andbank details before she can speak to someone. This surely cannot be right? There were no contract problems when they closed the account, by the way.

Are you sure that she is phoning Sky? I've been with them for years and they've never demanded payment details or to phone from a specific phone number.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Carlsdad wrote: »
    My daughter moved house in December and closed her Sky TV/phone and broadband account. She has now received a further demand from Sky for a payment of £98, but has not been given a detailed invoice for the supposed debt. She finds it impossible to speak to anyone at Sky about this, as each time she rings, they ask for her credit card details before she can proceed, but this she is naturally reluctant to do. Could any member help with this matter, in particular with a contact number, please? One number she rang had a one hour waiting time. Sky seem determined to make things a difficult as possible. Thanks in advance.

Get her to either send a letter to:

Customer Complaints
    Sky Subscribers Services Ltd
    PO Box 43
    Livingston
    West Lothian
    EH54 7DD

or an email to either:

jeremy.darroch@bskyb.com

estenquiries@bskyb.com

Make sure she includes all of her contact details.
  • Carlsdad
    Options
    Thanks, Colin. Trading Standards have now taken an interest in this. Our son-in-law contacted them today, and they have advised him to write to Sky accounts department (they gave him the address) send the letter signed for, recorded, and give them two weeks notice to respond. If he doesn't get satisfaction, then go back the Trading Standards and they will pursue the matter further. As I said earlier, Sky will not entertain discussion unless the money is first paid, the reason they want his debit card and bank account details. One other thing; it seems the money demanded is for the month after the account was closed. Fortunately, they have emails from Sky confirming the finalizing of the account closure.
  • Carlsdad
    Options
    The dispute was brought to a successful conclusion today, when our daughter contacted Sky on a number given to her by Trading Standards. A check of the account showed that there was, in fact, a zero balance and no further action would be taken. No explanation was given as to how this error had arisen. Many thanks to all those who gave their time to offer their advice on this matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure