Urgent Advice please

Hello

Some advice needed please as have a "gut" feeling if it's too good to be true....

Myself (23k debt) and partner (16k debt) living together (council rent so non homeowners) with x 1 15y dependent child have been speaking apparently to a IVA charity who after doing the sums have recommended both of us have IVA with 2 different companies (we both work full time and don't think bankruptcy is a option).
Problem is they have said that we should tell the IP that our wages are lower (e.g On my form I should put my partners wage considerably lower than it actually is !! And my partner must do the same vise versa !). Obviously when I questioned this they said the I.P will not check and legally we do not even have to tell our partners wage. They were very adament that it is fine and if they were giving false advice they would not have a job and be sacked.

We have not signed any paperwork yet but have a final call next week to finalise but we obviously feel very worried about providing false information which will effect us for the next 5 / 6 years.

Should we run for the hills and avoid ? (Would rather not name the company involved openly but happy to iva a mod PM).

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 January 2020 at 3:11PM
    I would say avoid them like the plague, there are so many cowboy IVA firms out there, you must be extremely careful who you trust to do business with, you must provide evidence of your income/expenditure at your annual review, and this includes payslips and bank statements, so if you lie about it to begin with, you must follow through with that lie, things could get pretty complicated.

Also giving my money to a business that openly flouts the regulations in such a way, would start alarm bells ringing with me, how do i know they are going to pay my money to the arrangement, if they are cutting corners here, where else are they doing it, am i still legally protected from my creditors, could i be fined, jailed, or made bankrupt if my IP found out ?

Do you really expect us to recommend such a company to you when you are making a life changing monetary decision ?

Get advice from a reputable debt charity, such as stepchange :

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/iva-companies.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thank you ! I thought so, hence my post !! Have contacted stepchange.
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Good advice above, glad you followed it.

Are the the original advisors really a IVA "charity" ? or were they proposing to charge you?

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• roboraver
    roboraver Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2020 at 6:16PM
    It's really strange as they said they were from a gov approved scheme and did go through all the options etc, what's worrying me now is I had to use a mobile tool that gave them access to my bank account statements. Alarm bells are ringing so will take it up on monday, have checked my credit report and nothing new has been added.

Did not mention a charge at all but until they would of sent over the paper work I would not of been able to read the fine print (They said they build up the file) and then send it to a IP "B Jones and T Jones".
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I'd check your bank account now

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• Have done, it' fine fyi email info came from a someone.name @ nationaldebtadvice . hubsolv.com obviously will be vigilant x %500 !!!
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you have given them access to your online banking so that they could browse through your statements then i suggest you change all your banking passwords and access details ASAP.

Keep watch on your account in case they set up DD's or Standing Orders - you don't want any unauthorised payments going out.

If you have given such access, be prepared for the bank closing your account as you have breached their terms by handing out your details and - worst case - you could also get a CIFAS marker as well.

The address you give looks like a commercial operation who will be taking a large percentage of any payments, with possibly little or nothing going to your creditors should you decide to take up their services.
  • Thank you D_M_E feel gutted as normally am quite tech savvy
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    National debt advice is a commercial debt management company, as I said above, there are lots of cowboys after your money, giving companies like this voluntary access to your bank account means if money were to be taken, you cannot claim it back.

They make many thousands of pounds from selling IVA’s, they are not too bothered who they sell them too, or if it’s actually appropriate for you, and as you have found out, they are not to bothered about following the rules either.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thanks Noted but isn't this sector more regulated ? I mean the advice given was fraudulent ? Who is regulating the cowboys as such ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure