MSE News: New Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry'

Former_MSE_Megan_F
Former_MSE_Megan_F Posts: 418 Forumite
Newshound!
edited 22 January 2018 at 6:47PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
A new debit card which lets you connect your existing debit and credit cards to it has now launched - but you need to weigh up the pros and cons before applying...
Read the full story:
'New Curve card claims to be 'the only card you need to carry' - but here's what to watch out for'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Am I being really dim here? What's the business model that makes curve profitable?
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Can't seem to access the article at the moment, however having found Curve I'm not sure what it really is. Looking in the FAQ however I see the following warning, which I presume is what the article title is hinting at:
    In the same way as PayPal or Amazon, 3rd party purchases using Curve are not a direct purchase from the user’s original card, so the purchases are not covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

However, Curve users are protected by Mastercard chargeback rights, where refunds can be provided if goods are damaged, not as described, or the merchant has ceased trading.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would I be able to use a Curve Card to make a 'purchase' using a 0% purchase credit card, then put the money into a savings account?
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ic wrote: »
    Can't seem to access the article at the moment, however having found Curve I'm not sure what it really is. Looking in the FAQ however I see the following warning, which I presume is what the article title is hinting at:
    Instead of having a wallet full of cards, you only carry the curve card.

On the curve app you select what card you want the transaction to be processed by as it’s just a wrapper.

So you could make multiple transactions in a day using the curve card, transaction 1 could be assigned to your bank debit card, transaction 2 to your interest free credit card, transaction 3 to your cash back card and so on.

Because you are using the curve card to make the transaction, you don’t get section 75 as you are not using a credit card for the initial transaction.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    So it saves you having to carry all those heavy cards around with you, the only downside is that you have to sit down for an hour in the evening assigning all the expenditure to the appropriate card. Wow.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have signed up for the card. In many ways, it seems very similar to the old Travelex SuperCard (though not identical), and is for instance a way to charge things to your credit card with merchants who don't accept them.

Being able to change the selected card after a transaction and not just before actually seems to be a very useful (if niche feature)
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    one more link in the "god knows who i complain to" when something goes wrong...
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    pity travelex super card has closed as there would be a market for a card that lets you choose between travelex and curve to save you carrying both around...
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Who is to say that it's a debit card and should be accepted as such by a merchant? Will a card terminal not recognise it as a credit card or prepaid card?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • nv200
    nv200 Posts: 52 Forumite
    Yes you can, I had a card for over a year and this what I do off setting all my spending against my mortgage. Just remember to make the minimum card payment every month.
    Mortgage when started: £127,500
    Current mortgage Jan2016: £127500
    Mortgage free day: Dec 2022
    OverPaid so far; £0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business