Spark trying to take electric supply

I am currently with Eon and I have very happy with them and the tariff that I am on. I haven't got the slightest interest at all in changing suppliers.

I have called Eon twice now in the past month - Spark have made two separate requests to take over my electric supply. On Eon's advice I have tried to speak to Spark to inform them that the meter and supply that they are attempting to take over, I have not requested such a change. Let's just say, it didn't get very far and 3 days after the call they again contacted Eon to say that they are taking the supply.

Once, more I have spoken to Eon, switch cancelled. I am now counting the days till I get another email from Eon informing me that I have AGAIN requested to change over the electric supply to them again. So begins the cycle again.

I am in a rental, and I have spoken to both the agency & my landlord and both of them are saying that they have not made any request for this to be changed.
I have been paying this account for nearly 5yrs, and I was shown which box on a wall (large flat block) which was my meter. There are no flat numbers by the meter's you have to go by the meter number and there are 50 to work through. The prices/ readings charged have tied up to my change in usage/ tariffs that I selected etc. So I know this is my meter.

I am rather at my wits end about what I can do, as I seriously don't want to spend my life calling Eon to tell them that I am still not closing my account!

Any advice/ recommendations about what I can do here?

Thank you

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 3:18PM
    I am currently with Eon and I have very happy with them and the tariff that I am on. I haven't got the slightest interest at all in changing suppliers.

I have called Eon twice now in the past month - Spark have made two separate requests to take over my electric supply. On Eon's advice I have tried to speak to Spark to inform them that the meter and supply that they are attempting to take over, I have not requested such a change. Let's just say, it didn't get very far and 3 days after the call they again contacted Eon to say that they are taking the supply.

Once, more I have spoken to Eon, switch cancelled. I am now counting the days till I get another email from Eon informing me that I have AGAIN requested to change over the electric supply to them again. So begins the cycle again.

I am in a rental, and I have spoken to both the agency & my landlord and both of them are saying that they have not made any request for this to be changed.
    I have been paying this account for nearly 5yrs, and I was shown which box on a wall (large flat block) which was my meter. There are no flat numbers by the meter's you have to go by the meter number and there are 50 to work through. The prices/ readings charged have tied up to my change in usage/ tariffs that I selected etc. So I know this is my meter.

I am rather at my wits end about what I can do, as I seriously don't want to spend my life calling Eon to tell them that I am still not closing my account!

Any advice/ recommendations about what I can do here?

Thank you

What are Eon doing about it for you? :huh:

It sounds like someone else is, either by a genuine error or deliberately, attempting to switch your supply. As it's repeated, it sounds deliberate to me..

What's the worst that could happen? They succeed and become liable for paying the cost of the energy you consume :rotfl:
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 3:18PM
    Didn't Saprk Energy turn up it's toes in November - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-appoints-ovo-energy-take-customers-spark-energy-supply-limited

OVO is supposed to be taking over their customers, so if you aren't already a Spark customer I'm not sure how they can try and take over your supply
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    matelodave wrote: »
    Didn't Saprk Energy turn up it's toes in November - https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-appoints-ovo-energy-take-customers-spark-energy-supply-limited

OVO is supposed to be taking over their customers, so if you aren't a customer I'm not sure how they can try and take over your supply

As it says
    Ovo Energy has acquired Spark Energy’s operating company Spark Energy Ltd and retained the Spark Energy brand.
    As Ovo Energy has acquired the Spark brand and operating company, customers will continue to be billed by Spark and be contacted by Spark’s customer service staff.

But as
    Energy will be supplied under Ovo Energy’s supply licence.
    , I'm surprised Eon would be able to distinguish - they will only see the licence of the company attempting to take over the supply.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Does the meter serial number on your bill tie up with the actual meter you believe to be yours ?

Have you done a load check to see if the meter you think is yours is actually the one supplying the flat ?

I doubt this is a deliberate act but you need to check those 2 things out.
  • Eon are doing nothing apart from blocking the switch and telling me it's Spark (who ever they now are!) :)

I will triple check the serial number. How do you do a load check? The meter isn't situated within the flat it's down just outside the bin cupboard?

Thank you
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How do you do a load check? The meter isn't situated within the flat it's down just outside the bin cupboard?

Thank you
    You switch everything off at the fuse box main switch then check the meter. The meter red light should be off. You then switch back on and load up every high use item you can - kettle, electric fire, immersion heater, oven - and the red light should be going nuts. Easiest to do with 2 people and mobile phones.
  • molerat wrote: »
    You switch everything off at the fuse box main switch then check the meter. The meter red light should be off. You then switch back on and load up every high use item you can - kettle, electric fire, immersion heater, oven - and the red light should be going nuts.

Thank you will do that and see what happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure