My “friend” which is no longer my friend owes me a small amount of money

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread or if it’s silly.

2-3 months ago me and my “friend” were at PCCurrys, where he wanted to buy a Headset that cost £70, he only had £65 at the time so he asked if he could borrow my £5 and that he would return it.

He said he would by next week, but it has been about 3 months and no answer, we are no longer friends, not due to this problem but due to the fact that he thinks I don’t have friends, and he always repeats this,”at least I have friends” or “go play with your friends”. I have told him on a number of occasions that I don’t need friends and that I can live without but he keeps saying the same thing, It’s ignorant and very repetitive. Anyways back to the point he has completely blocked me, so I can’t send texts. But I still see him at school and we’re in the same class for maths.

What can I do about it? I know it’s just £5. I'm not desperate for the money, it's more a matter of principle that I don't want him to get away with it when all I did was try to help her out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Regards,

Comments

• Either have a scrap in the playground or forget about it.
  • I don't want him to get away with it when all I did was try to help her out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Regards,
    Here’s one, if you want to troll a website and waste people’s time get your story straight first.
  • It was a typo why are you making a big deal of it?
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    There's an old joke that if you lend a friend £5 and never get it back, it was a good investment, worth it to get rid of them
  • Let me clarify I’m not trolling, this is 100% serious, you think I can afford to troll? Wasting 10 minutes just to create an account and write this thread?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Offer a payment plan? £1 a week on pocket money day.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    OP you wanted suggestions so I'll give you mine, if it was me I'd forget about it and move on, its only £5 so not end of the world.

In future think twice about lending friends money, it rarely ends well.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Op, read my signature
  • Go on Judge Rinder on ITV

(Though he'll probably rule that the debt is unenforceable)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 January 2019 at 2:31PM
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    OP you wanted suggestions so I'll give you mine, if it was me I'd forget about it and move on, its only £5 so not end of the world.
    You'd think that but at a mate's cafe you ought to hear his never intend to work a day in their life girlfriends daughter and all their mates bang on every time someone owes someone else a fiver. They'll go on about it for days and I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do that like you'd think they'd just taken their benefits off them.

To penniesaddup,

If you have a legally enforceable agreement in writing where you can prove there was a loan and what the repayment terms were and when it had to be repaid by then you can try to take it to small claims court. It'll cost you £35 to file a claim online.You'd first have to send them a letter before action giving them so many days to pay and if they don't then you file the claim online. If you don't have an agreement then you can't because the law assumes that when you lend money to family or friends there is no intention to create a legal relationship, i.e you don't intend to take them to court if they don't pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure