Bathroom Refit

Hey Guys,

I'm planning to get my bathroom refitted - it's a pretty decent size job. I just got a quote from a plumber and it's 6.5k for labour excluding the woodwork/electrical which sounds pretty high. It's not a bog standard re-fit, I'm doing the following:

+ Replacing the existing bath/units/rad/toilet
+ Having the two exposed walls insulated
+ Having a new ceiling fitted
+ Floor-to-ceiling tiles (only the ceiling wont be tiled)
+ Moving the toilet waste pipe (it's difficult to get to outside due to a pitched roof)
+ Extending the plumbing into the attic for the future for a loft conversion
+ Dry underfloor heating
+ Having a new wet-room fitted (upstairs so will need to be cut into the joists. There's no existing shower so all the plumbing will need to be added)

It's a fair amount of work, but 6.5k still seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea if it sounds about right?

Cheers

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 8,970
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ek5932 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I'm planning to get my bathroom refitted - it's a pretty decent size job. I just got a quote from a plumber and it's 6.5k for labour excluding the woodwork/electrical which sounds pretty high. It's not a bog standard re-fit, I'm doing the following:

+ Replacing the existing bath/units/rad/toilet
    + Having the two exposed walls insulated
    + Having a new ceiling fitted
    + Floor-to-ceiling tiles (only the ceiling wont be tiled)
    + Moving the toilet waste pipe (it's difficult to get to outside due to a pitched roof)
    + Extending the plumbing into the attic for the future for a loft conversion
    + Dry underfloor heating
    + Having a new wet-room fitted (upstairs so will need to be cut into the joists. There's no existing shower so all the plumbing will need to be added)

It's a fair amount of work, but 6.5k still seems like a lot. Does anyone have any idea if it sounds about right?

Cheers

For that amount of work, I wouldn't say that £6.5K is excessive. Have you obtained any other quotes?
  • £6.5 doesn't sound excessive to me, it actually sounds quite low/reasonable.
    Where in the country are you?

I'd get some other quotes, and if you know anyone who has also used them then go and look at their work.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,874
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What knowledge and experience do you have that makes you feel it's excessive? "Excessive" is not the same as "more than I thought it would be."
  • Just be aware if you extend hot and cold water services to the loft for a future conversion these shouldn't be connected, its important not to have any dead legs on hot and cold water pipe work to reduce the risk of legionella.

There is a limit for dead legs which I recall is 150mm, you may find a lot of domestic grade plumbers are not aware of this.
    I have a lot of problems with my neighbours, they hammer and bang on the walls sometimes until 2 or 3 in the morning - some nights I can hardly hear myself drilling ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure