Does this seem fair?

Hey!
So basically our house got broken into a couple of months back and a few things got stolen. One of the things that got stolen was a fairly old (not worth very much) sat nav that my partner had borrowed from a friend. His friend has got a new sat nav (£100+) on credit and my boyfriend is paying it all off. Now to me that doesn't seem right, I mean of course we need to replace it but hardly seems fair to me that he expects it replacing with a brand new one that's a lot better than the one that got stolen. Maybe it's just me but if something of mine got stolen because my friends house got broken in to I wouldn't expect it replacing with a new item, maybe halfing for a new one or replacing it with something similar to what I had second hand. As well as that my partner told me he told his friend to take the sat nav on a couple of occasions before it got stolen and he forgot to pick it up on his way out.
Anyway I'm just wondering does that seem fair or is he taking the Mick a bit?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• PDC
    PDC Posts: 805 Forumite
    Sounds like your boyfriend is both being a good friend and doing the decent thing to me.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Agree with PDC
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Yeah I definitely agree that we should replace it and he's a good lad, he always does the decent thing lol... I just personally wouldn't expect a brand new one, I'd feel like that was taking advantage of the situation a little bit. Especially when he had the opportunity to take the sat nav a few times and it was his own fault he forgot to pick it up on the way out. I don't know, maybe it's fair enough but I feel a bit like he's having the Mick taken out of him a little when the sat nav that got stolen was old and not that great.
    Thanks for the reply!
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lucy2691 wrote: »
    Hey!
    So basically our house got broken into a couple of months back and a few things got stolen. One of the things that got stolen was a fairly old (not worth very much) sat nav that my partner had borrowed from a friend. His friend has got a new sat nav (£100+) on credit and my boyfriend is paying it all off. Now to me that doesn't seem right, I mean of course we need to replace it but hardly seems fair to me that he expects it replacing with a brand new one that's a lot better than the one that got stolen. Maybe it's just me but if something of mine got stolen because my friends house got broken in to I wouldn't expect it replacing with a new item, maybe halfing for a new one or replacing it with something similar to what I had second hand. As well as that my partner told me he told his friend to take the sat nav on a couple of occasions before it got stolen and he forgot to pick it up on his way out.
    Anyway I'm just wondering does that seem fair or is he taking the Mick a bit?
    Thanks in advance!
    Do you not have insurance?
  • The back door wasn't locked so insurance isn't valid... Wouldn't mind but it's never left unlocked, chances of someone trying the door the one night we forgot to lock it �� sods law... Lol
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    edited 11 January 2019 at 5:25PM
    OP - your BF should ensure his friend doesn't suffer a loss. Now in theory, he could buy his friend a second hand sat nav. But there would be no guarantee that he could find the same type, or, more importantly, that it would be in same condition. If he bought a second hand sat nav that then stopped working after a few months, what then?

It's bad luck, but your BF has done the decent thing. Move on.
  • Yeah that's a fair point I guess, but we could of spent £50-60 on a second hand one from cash generator or something and he's of had a much better one than he had originally and it would of still had a warranty for a while. I haven't and have no intention of causing an issue over it... Just makes me think his friend isn't that great of a friend if I'm honest. If it were me I'd ask for roughly what the sat nav was worth and call it even. Probably not even that if my friend had already tried to return the item and I didn't take it with me. That's just me though I suppose.
  • If I was the "friend" I'd probably let it go as I'd be more concerned that my mate had lost a few of their own possessions too and be feeling sorry for them that they are going through a bit of a crap time. Its definitely an individual thing though.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    It could be that your boyfriend is perfectly happy with paying the price for a new one and that he doesn't think like you do. One valid reason for this is the potential increased hassle that your suggestion entails. Trawling around 2nd hand shops to find the item, or having to order online and hoping that it is the right model/not broken VS simply paying off £X for a brand new one.
    I'd personally do precisely what your boyfriend did if the amount is fairly small like here. Obviously higher amounts (£500+) I'd consider disputing, but the difference between £100 and POTENTIALLY £50-£60 is just not worth all of the hassle.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure