Have I be scammed?

Comments

• The question is why she need money to open account?
    Perhaps the lady was indeed opening a Barclays Account.

Perhaps she wanted you to send to her Monzo, so the transfer to her new account could appear from herself rather than a random name.

Definitely reason to be vigilant, but I’m assuming if you’ve been talking to someone for some time and met them for coffee, maybe she considered you a friend and we don’t always need to assume the worse in people.
  • SlovakianGuy
    SlovakianGuy Posts: 303 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 8 January 2019 at 10:40AM
    18cc wrote: »
    Very interesting about Monzo I didn't know they showed one's account details to recipients - maybe contact Monzo and explain how dangerous this is......

Nooo! :( At least one bank that shows me account numbers. When a friend sends me money for the first time, I can save their details or send money back to them in the future without the need of asking them about their details.

Also, if you have multiple current accounts, like me, you can see from which account you've sent money to your other account. Otherwise you would only see your name everywhere, which may be confusing. Now I started using references when sending money between my own accounts, such as "Halifax to NatWest" or "Tesco to Metro", but if I have 2 current accounts with the same bank, I can't tell which one it was. I would have to title it Tesco1, Tesco2, etc., but that's still a bit confusing. Moreover, Nationwide doesn't show any references at all, so it doesn't matter what you write in reference field when sending money to someone who has Nationwide. Pretty lame, but that's an offtopic.

I wonder how this can be a problem anyway. In Slovakia, banks show me account numbers and I never heard that anyone had problem because of that. Actually, I asked all my banks here in the UK if they could start showing account numbers. If not, then maybe at least a part of the number. Same like you can see last 4 digits of your credit card on some receipts.
  • In UK if some dodgy person know your account number, they will send money in your account then contact you that it was by mistake and will try different ways to convince you to cash the money and send them through other means like western union. Obviously that money is dirty and you might be innocent but when banks find this dirty money they will include you as doing first party fraud and put your name on CIFAS register and then you will not be able to open any bank account in UK or get any credit or mortgage.
    Nooo! :( At least one bank that shows me account numbers. When a friend sends me money for the first time, I can save their details or send money back to them in the future without the need of asking them about their details.

Also, if you have multiple current accounts, like me, you can see from which account you've sent money to your other account. Otherwise you would only see your name everywhere, which may be confusing. Now I started using references when sending money between my own accounts, such as "Halifax to NatWest" or "Tesco to Metro", but if I have 2 current accounts with the same bank, I can't tell which one it was. I would have to title it Tesco1, Tesco2, etc., but that's still a bit confusing. Moreover, Nationwide doesn't show any references at all, so it doesn't matter what you write in reference field when sending money to someone who has Nationwide. Pretty lame, but that's an offtopic.

I wonder how this can be a problem anyway. In Slovakia, banks show me account numbers and I never heard that anyone had problem because of that. Actually, I asked all my banks here in the UK if they could start showing account numbers. If not, then maybe at least a part of the number. Same like you can see last 4 digits of your credit card on some receipts.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 January 2019 at 11:26AM
    Time to calm down? Tens of millions of people have for decades freely shared their sort code(s) and account number(s) with total strangers, by giving them cheques. There has not been a crime wave as a result.

This is not a reason to be complacent, though. Checking your bank account(s) regularly is good practice anyway, whether you think someone may have malicious intent or not. The worst that can happen is that
    1. unauthorised Direct Debits appear on your account
    2. unexpected payments arrive in your account
    These can happen whether you suspect foul play or not. Both of them are very easily dealt with if they happen.
    1. for unauthorised DDs, invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee
    2. if you receive money you shouldn't have received, ask your bank immediately to remove the payment from your account. Don't be tempted to keep the money. Don't respond to any strangers asking you to transfer the money elsewhere.
    3. if the foul play continues, report to ActionFraud

Also keep a regular eye on your credit files, and investigate any unexpected information without delay. Finally, never share your logins with anyone, and secure your devices you use for mobile and/or online banking.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    In UK if some dodgy person know your account number, they will send money in your account then contact you
    How would this 'dodgy person' discover your contact details?
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    an online friend, perhaps?
  • In UK if some dodgy person know your account number, they will send money in your account then contact you that it was by mistake and will try different ways to convince you to cash the money and send them through other means like western union. Obviously that money is dirty and you might be innocent but when banks find this dirty money they will include you as doing first party fraud and put your name on CIFAS register and then you will not be able to open any bank account in UK or get any credit or mortgage.

OK, but I assume all banks already know about this, right? Isn't there some easy way to just report this? If you don't do anything with that received money, then it can't be considered a fraud.
  • This is age of Social Media, Scammer are always looking for target through different means, Sometime your information is public on internet, some time they know you by acquaintance. There might be other ways as well which i never heard of.
    ColdIron wrote: »
  • colsten wrote: »
    The worst that can happen is that
    1. unauthorised Direct Debits appear on your account
    2. unexpected payments arrive in your account
    These can happen whether you suspect foul play or not. Both of them are very easily dealt with if they happen.
    1. for unauthorised DDs, invoke the Direct Debit Guarantee
    2. if you receive money you shouldn't have received, ask your bank immediately to remove the payment from your account. Don't be tempted to keep the money. Don't respond to any strangers asking you to transfer the money elsewhere.
    3. if the foul play continues, report to ActionFraud

OK, what if all banks started to show full account details to everyone? Then you could send money back to the same account from which the money was originally sent to you? Would that be considered a fraud in any way?
  • If you report this to bank and tell them that this is not your money then you MIGHT be ok but i have read stories on the internet that even when person reported unknown transaction they got their account closed. As UK banks seems to be over cautious to get rid of any risk.
    OK, but I assume all banks already know about this, right? Isn't there some easy way to just report this? If you don't do anything with that received money, then it can't be considered a fraud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure