PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

Comments

• diminua
    diminua Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 March 2019 at 11:46PM
    I think what you're describing here is more an Americanised look - certainly something I think of as what very wealthy Americans in the early 80s wore, which was then copied by the UK fashion magazines... Christie Brinkley, people like that. Probably traced directly back to the tailored style of American stars like Katharine Hepburn.

The blue jacket I would call a blazer, I think.

Like this, you mean? Princess Diana and Kate Middleton...
    (EDIT: this is one of the worst posts I've ever written, totally rambling, but I'll leave it up in case bits are helpful. Some of it I've written w/ref to accurate 1950s looks, and other parts w/ref to 1980s looks, argh... you probably wanted to think about 21st century looks...! :) Sorry...)

I'd say you've got it right if you want to look like you're doing a rather stagey kind of play, and are walking round town in costume, a bit over-done, handing out flyers for it...! :)

I think, and it is only my opinion, so it isn't necessarily any more right than yours! But I think that you maybe want to look at what went before, because the 1950s looks you're talking about are partially derived from being able to afford the new styles from designers like Yves Saint Laurent and Dior, but also partially derived from being the sort of people brought up to spend vast amounts of time and money to look that effortlessly well-groomed, and part of that goes to the inter-war years which are possibly the most inexplicable bit of British history to anyone unfamiliar with it all, because it's when the class structure implodes to an extent.

OK, are you sitting comfortably? :)

You have two world wars, the 1914-18 and the 1939-45. Before the first war, the middle class is only medium-sized, and the working class is huge, and the upper class is small and largely based around old-money ie land and status.
    After the first war, instead of an actual revolution, we had a very British revolution in social terms. From the outside, much stayed the same, but in reality... for a start, two millions "surplus women" whose potential husbands had died in the war - and because junior officers were disproportionately killed (in part, due to the principle of leading your men 'going over the top' so being most likely to be killed), there were more middle-class women in these surplus women - and they had been brought up to marry, and so had no idea how to earn a living... suddenly, they have to.
    Working class women had their own drastic changes - during the 1914-18 war they had quietly got on and done many men's jobs including dangerous and heavy work, largely ignored by modern people because the outfits aren't as sexy as Rosie the Riveter. They fought fires - in long skirts - and all kinds of things... but then come 1918, they were instantly booted out of their jobs in order for men to come back into their old jobs, even if the woman had done it better. The men who came back maimed were often very badly disturbed, of course. So many working class women were pretty frustrated, being back at home after enjoying working, and with the company of a damaged and untreated shell-shocked husband.
    Meanwhile, the upper classes... well, on the one hand many had lost most of their income, as their investments had been in Russia or France or Germany before 1914, and other estates went bankrupt because of multiple death duties - the father died in battle, so the estate paid Death Duties and it passed to the heir, who then died six months later, so pay more DD and it goes to the second son, who then dies of fever in a battlefield hospital, more DD and on to some cousin or other who then shoots himself from shellshock... some estates were paying Death Duties three or four or six times in the war years. Very little left for anyone to inherit in the end - and some entailed estates were broken up after all male heirs were killed.
    BUT... apart from losing their stately homes or living on smaller incomes, by and large the elite were much less effected by the first world war - they continued to travel to the South of France, to America... think Jeeves & Wooster! In addition, the young officers who survived adopted a reckless way of living, and their fast set in London was the Bright Young Things who lived every day as if it were their last and behaved in ways that make the 1960s stories of the Rolling Stones look like a Sunday School... sex and drugs, long before rock and roll...

so there was a huge amount of resentment simmering. The Depression hit middle and working classes hard - it did hit the upper class but in the way that equated to, "well, only the three trips to New York this year, darling".

That's part of what lies behind the British tendency to sneer at the upper classes and deride them - and it's why the Sloan Ranger look you mention was never, ever, ever, ever a style anyone wanted to look like, ime! I'm very amused that you even mention Sloan Rangers, as even at the time the name was derogatory and mocking, and certainly not anything copied by anyone except those who wanted to look like Lady Di - which, to be fair, was probably a bit of the fashion magazines, thinking back, but only briefly during the engagement and wedding, so 1980-81, really.

I hope that's not too negative, but...

I dunno - it's certainly much more complicated - the twin-set was widely worn by virtually all middle-class women, partly because of dreadful heating - and you wore them in winter, because of course you were layering - nowadays people think one thick jumper is warm, but they knew about warmth in those days and would probably have worn a fine wool vest next the skin, then the short-sleeved jumper, then the long-sleeved cardigan, effectively turning it into a long-sleeved top with two vests under it! :) Layering without bulk.

The tweed jacket - well, more usually that would be worn with a tweed skirt. The "coat and skirt" was an outfit in itself, and the jacket usually kept on indoors - and you'd probably, if well-off, have finer tweeds for the city in different colours, and rougher tweeds for the country. That';s totally separate from the horsey look, which would only really be worn when going riding - much like you wouldn't have worn a tracksuit in the 1950s unless you were going running!

I'm being horribly rambling in this post - I do apologise, it's been a long day!

The cardigan over a floral cotton frock - well, working class women were wearing that between the wars, and it almost certainly wouldn't be the cardigan from a twin-set, because the kind of woman who wore light cotton floral frocks wouldn't wear twin-sets, and vice versa!

Twin-sets by the 1950s are for married women, especially older ones. Light floral cotton frocks are very much a young woman's dress, an unmarried one especially, almost like a teenage fashion. You see photos of woman with young babies, and the women are wearing the big-skirted 50s summer frocks, but once the children get to school age, the skirt and jumper takes over, really. I'm racking my brains, and no doubt someone will find a hoard of online photos to prove me wrong! But I can't think of any adult women, as opposed to younger women, in those frocks, or younegr women in twin-sets in that way...

I think one of the problems is that Father Brown has fun with the costumes - and bear in mind that Bunty, especially, is dressed in flamboyant and nearly shocking styles. Some of the later episodes get a bit tiresome with the shoe-horning of modern behaviour or tropes into the 1950s, and I think they're having a lot of fun with Bunty's clothes.

But for any woman over about 25 or 30, I'd say they'd be more likely to wear a dress and cardigan like Mrs McCarthy, and in fact also like Lady Felicia - difference being in details, hats, gloves, shoes esp heel height, and so on.
    And for the majority of women on lower incomes, middle class especially, skirt and jumper/cardigan over blouse...

Ooh, this is an interesting one. I do think though that you have to allow for people's own style when thinking about what they wore. I know I would look awful in a twinset and pearls - and I'm very like my paternal grandmother (short, curly, olive skinned, small waist, although of course hers was really small and mine is only small in proportion to my other dimensions), and so she mostly wore patterned dresses or strong colours, which she knew suited her. I wear floral blouses for the same sort of reason - not too chocolate box and twee, but if you're a summery sort of person then that works. My maternal grandmother on the other hand, who was a 5 foot 10 flame haired Irish lass with a build to match, went for the suits and tailored bits. Again, they looked well on her (broad shoulders) but would have either swamped my father's mother or worse, made her look like she was in school uniform.
    And I never saw my Irish grandmother in a floral dress either - I'm sure she knew it wouldn't work on her.
    I think there's a temptation, looking at those old newsreels and programs, to forget that people weren't all wearing the same. As far as they could do, they wore clothes they knew suited them.

Then there's the whole town v country thing, which is another factor again. I haven't seen Father Brown, but I have read the stories and if it's remotely the same then I think we're talking village, and of course tweeds and sturdy shoes were practical garb for the country, thick and thorn and mud repellent, walk 10 miles and take all the evidence off with a clothes brush type clothes.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024 - 49 coupons left
    April Grocery Challenge £14.65/£200 spent
    Declutter 52 things (net) in 2023 -41 in 78 out (15 left)
  • I think I was possibly not orbiting the right planet when I typed that long ramble, apologies! :)

diminua, yes, absolutely agree about personal choice - but in the past I think that was still more limited. Choice of only a few options, as opposed to nowadays when someone like me (overweight, 50) can wear absolutely any clothing whatsoever in any circumstances. Neither of your grandmothers, for example, would have worn shorts, I'm guessing - I know neither of mine would have done, and I have been told that I "shouldn't", even nowadays!

'Father Brown' is great fun but not really much like the written stories any more! If you're good at suspending disbelief, and enjoy a good "cosy" tv drama in a rural 1950s setting, you'd enjoy it. It's well-written and well-acted, although a bit daft in quite a lot of places!

And yes, definitely in the past different clothes for town and country, not just for the aristos either!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • fwiw, re putting the new lining in the jacket - I've unpicked the three pieces (front, back and sleeve) and they are intact enough (just!) to use as patterns to cut the new pieces.

But first I have to practice making welted pockets, as the order of construction will be best if I sew the fronts in first, then the backs, ending with the sleeves - but the fronts have a big inside breast pocket on each side, and on the left, a further two smaller ones below! Also, I need to replace the pocket-bags of the main outside jacket-pockets before stitching the lining in.

So I could usefully have thought a bit harder before starting as it's about twice the amount of work I had thought!

Luckily, plenty of spare fabric to practice welted pockets (like a bound buttonhole but wider)... I need to work out whether to use the fabric on the grain or on the bias for the welts...

But it will give me a good winter jacket for twenty years or so...
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    (EDIT: this is one of the worst posts I've ever written, totally rambling, but I'll leave it up in case bits are helpful. Some of it I've written w/ref to accurate 1950s looks, and other parts w/ref to 1980s looks, argh... you probably wanted to think about 21st century looks...! :) Sorry...)

I'd say you've got it right if you want to look like you're doing a rather stagey kind of play, and are walking round town in costume, a bit over-done, handing out flyers for it...! :)

I think, and it is only my opinion, so it isn't necessarily any more right than yours! But I think that you maybe want to look at what went before, because the 1950s looks you're talking about are partially derived from being able to afford the new styles from designers like Yves Saint Laurent and Dior, but also partially derived from being the sort of people brought up to spend vast amounts of time and money to look that effortlessly well-groomed, and part of that goes to the inter-war years which are possibly the most inexplicable bit of British history to anyone unfamiliar with it all, because it's when the class structure implodes to an extent.

OK, are you sitting comfortably? :)

You have two world wars, the 1914-18 and the 1939-45. Before the first war, the middle class is only medium-sized, and the working class is huge, and the upper class is small and largely based around old-money ie land and status.
    After the first war, instead of an actual revolution, we had a very British revolution in social terms. From the outside, much stayed the same, but in reality... for a start, two millions "surplus women" whose potential husbands had died in the war - and because junior officers were disproportionately killed (in part, due to the principle of leading your men 'going over the top' so being most likely to be killed), there were more middle-class women in these surplus women - and they had been brought up to marry, and so had no idea how to earn a living... suddenly, they have to.
    Working class women had their own drastic changes - during the 1914-18 war they had quietly got on and done many men's jobs including dangerous and heavy work, largely ignored by modern people because the outfits aren't as sexy as Rosie the Riveter. They fought fires - in long skirts - and all kinds of things... but then come 1918, they were instantly booted out of their jobs in order for men to come back into their old jobs, even if the woman had done it better. The men who came back maimed were often very badly disturbed, of course. So many working class women were pretty frustrated, being back at home after enjoying working, and with the company of a damaged and untreated shell-shocked husband.
    Meanwhile, the upper classes... well, on the one hand many had lost most of their income, as their investments had been in Russia or France or Germany before 1914, and other estates went bankrupt because of multiple death duties - the father died in battle, so the estate paid Death Duties and it passed to the heir, who then died six months later, so pay more DD and it goes to the second son, who then dies of fever in a battlefield hospital, more DD and on to some cousin or other who then shoots himself from shellshock... some estates were paying Death Duties three or four or six times in the war years. Very little left for anyone to inherit in the end - and some entailed estates were broken up after all male heirs were killed.
    BUT... apart from losing their stately homes or living on smaller incomes, by and large the elite were much less effected by the first world war - they continued to travel to the South of France, to America... think Jeeves & Wooster! In addition, the young officers who survived adopted a reckless way of living, and their fast set in London was the Bright Young Things who lived every day as if it were their last and behaved in ways that make the 1960s stories of the Rolling Stones look like a Sunday School... sex and drugs, long before rock and roll...

so there was a huge amount of resentment simmering. The Depression hit middle and working classes hard - it did hit the upper class but in the way that equated to, "well, only the three trips to New York this year, darling".

That's part of what lies behind the British tendency to sneer at the upper classes and deride them - and it's why the Sloan Ranger look you mention was never, ever, ever, ever a style anyone wanted to look like, ime! I'm very amused that you even mention Sloan Rangers, as even at the time the name was derogatory and mocking, and certainly not anything copied by anyone except those who wanted to look like Lady Di - which, to be fair, was probably a bit of the fashion magazines, thinking back, but only briefly during the engagement and wedding, so 1980-81, really.

I hope that's not too negative, but...

I dunno - it's certainly much more complicated - the twin-set was widely worn by virtually all middle-class women, partly because of dreadful heating - and you wore them in winter, because of course you were layering - nowadays people think one thick jumper is warm, but they knew about warmth in those days and would probably have worn a fine wool vest next the skin, then the short-sleeved jumper, then the long-sleeved cardigan, effectively turning it into a long-sleeved top with two vests under it! :) Layering without bulk.

The tweed jacket - well, more usually that would be worn with a tweed skirt. The "coat and skirt" was an outfit in itself, and the jacket usually kept on indoors - and you'd probably, if well-off, have finer tweeds for the city in different colours, and rougher tweeds for the country. That';s totally separate from the horsey look, which would only really be worn when going riding - much like you wouldn't have worn a tracksuit in the 1950s unless you were going running!

I'm being horribly rambling in this post - I do apologise, it's been a long day!

The cardigan over a floral cotton frock - well, working class women were wearing that between the wars, and it almost certainly wouldn't be the cardigan from a twin-set, because the kind of woman who wore light cotton floral frocks wouldn't wear twin-sets, and vice versa!

Twin-sets by the 1950s are for married women, especially older ones. Light floral cotton frocks are very much a young woman's dress, an unmarried one especially, almost like a teenage fashion. You see photos of woman with young babies, and the women are wearing the big-skirted 50s summer frocks, but once the children get to school age, the skirt and jumper takes over, really. I'm racking my brains, and no doubt someone will find a hoard of online photos to prove me wrong! But I can't think of any adult women, as opposed to younger women, in those frocks, or younegr women in twin-sets in that way...

I think one of the problems is that Father Brown has fun with the costumes - and bear in mind that Bunty, especially, is dressed in flamboyant and nearly shocking styles. Some of the later episodes get a bit tiresome with the shoe-horning of modern behaviour or tropes into the 1950s, and I think they're having a lot of fun with Bunty's clothes.

But for any woman over about 25 or 30, I'd say they'd be more likely to wear a dress and cardigan like Mrs McCarthy, and in fact also like Lady Felicia - difference being in details, hats, gloves, shoes esp heel height, and so on.
    And for the majority of women on lower incomes, middle class especially, skirt and jumper/cardigan over blouse...

Laura, this is precisely why I like talking to you! You always give a considered and detailed response. Yes, you are probably right. My thoughts were influenced more by Hollywood of the 1930's-1950's than reality. (Princess Grace, etc.)

It is easy to forget just what that reality was for most of Britain - and I had. In the 1960's, plenty of people in Britain still had to go to the public baths for a wash and many shared an outdoor toilet with multiple other households. People were far poorer than their contemporaries in Australia. (Although set in the early 1960's, The Doctor Blake Mysteries are a window into the world in which I was born and correlate with my earliest memories.)

As a digression, I've just finished reading Alan Johnson's memoir, "This Boy", about growing up in North Kensington/Holland Park in the 1950's-1960's. My mother would have been horrified - he grew up in slums not far from the last known address of her favourite cousin, which means that it is highly likely Aunty D was living in a slum, too, and not the upper middle-class house Mum had pictured. (Although both were Australian, they spent their childhood years growing up together in Africa before Aunty D was sent to boarding school in the UK while my mum's parents moved their family back to Sydney.)

Re Sloanes, back in the early 1990's, I actually knew a couple of women with pretentions to be Sloanes. They idolised Lady Di, drank in the Sloaney Pony and would have loved to be publicly labelled as a Sloane. (Even then, I shuddered at the thought. They weren't my close friends.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • PipneyJane
    I think what you're describing here is more an Americanised look - certainly something I think of as what very wealthy Americans in the early 80s wore, which was then copied by the UK fashion magazines... Christie Brinkley, people like that. Probably traced directly back to the tailored style of American stars like Katharine Hepburn.

The blue jacket I would call a blazer, I think.

Like this, you mean? Princess Diana and Kate Middleton...

020314-kate-diana-style-3-567_0.jpg?itok=oJTcvfVf

True. Really it's the "preppy" look of Calvin Klein and the ivy-league colleges. And yes, I think they do hark back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and Katherine Hepburn.

I'm still looking for a replacement to the double-breasted, gold-coloured buttoned, navy-blue blazer, matching trousers and skirt that I bought from Next in 1996. That blazer was worn to death over chinos and jeans, as well as part of the suit. (Fashion has not been kind to me - it's a look that hasn't come back.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    fwiw, re putting the new lining in the jacket - I've unpicked the three pieces (front, back and sleeve) and they are intact enough (just!) to use as patterns to cut the new pieces.

But first I have to practice making welted pockets, as the order of construction will be best if I sew the fronts in first, then the backs, ending with the sleeves - but the fronts have a big inside breast pocket on each side, and on the left, a further two smaller ones below! Also, I need to replace the pocket-bags of the main outside jacket-pockets before stitching the lining in.

So I could usefully have thought a bit harder before starting as it's about twice the amount of work I had thought!

Luckily, plenty of spare fabric to practice welted pockets (like a bound buttonhole but wider)... I need to work out whether to use the fabric on the grain or on the bias for the welts...

But it will give me a good winter jacket for twenty years or so...

Hmmm....How patterned and tightly woven is the tweed? Going on the bias would counteract any clash in patterning - since you won't need to match the check - but it occurs to me that it may curl. (I have no idea why my brain says it will curl. Probably something I absorbed at my mother's knee.)

- Pip

• PipneyJane wrote: »
    Hmmm....How patterned and tightly woven is the tweed? Going on the bias would counteract any clash in patterning - since you won't need to match the check - but it occurs to me that it may curl. (I have no idea why my brain says it will curl. Probably something I absorbed at my mother's knee.)

- Pip

Your mother was right! I did a couple of practice welts, and the bias one curlicued and twisted but the grain one sits neatly flat...

The tweed is only lightly fulled, typical of a Harris tweed jacket, so the structural tailoring underneath takes all the weight and wear, and the tweed sits over that. The lining fabric is a mystery - sold on eBay as "vintage cotton curtains" I don't think it's remotely cotton - could be synthetic, might be silk... I stopped smoking so many years ago that I no longer have matches or a lighter conveniently around and it's an electric hob, so will have to carry a scrap around til I'm able to do a burn test :)

the two test welts, with the twisted, gaping bias one just visible bottom-right and the neat flat grain one in the middle!
    I'd like to match the green to be the turnover, but think that's going to take more time and effort than it's actually worth, so may just stay with the copper-rose, or maybe have the stripes offset with the lining's stripes perhaps...

53377811_10158309230829606_1540606066155323392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=e47d96c01550eb7672dd2fc2b0fa3f41&oe=5D0FB0CF
    54730372_10158309253689606_6546691492491034624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=8327482ef1846097caae4bf2b576135e&oe=5D0339AB

• PipneyJane wrote: »
    Laura, this is precisely why I like talking to you! You always give a considered and detailed response. Yes, you are probably right. My thoughts were influenced more by Hollywood of the 1930's-1950's than reality. (Princess Grace, etc.)

It is easy to forget just what that reality was for most of Britain - and I had. In the 1960's, plenty of people in Britain still had to go to the public baths for a wash and many shared an outdoor toilet with multiple other households. People were far poorer than their contemporaries in Australia. (Although set in the early 1960's, The Doctor Blake Mysteries are a window into the world in which I was born and correlate with my earliest memories.)

As a digression, I've just finished reading Alan Johnson's memoir, "This Boy", about growing up in North Kensington/Holland Park in the 1950's-1960's. My mother would have been horrified - he grew up in slums not far from the last known address of her favourite cousin, which means that it is highly likely Aunty D was living in a slum, too, and not the upper middle-class house Mum had pictured. (Although both were Australian, they spent their childhood years growing up together in Africa before Aunty D was sent to boarding school in the UK while my mum's parents moved their family back to Sydney.)

Re Sloanes, back in the early 1990's, I actually knew a couple of women with pretentions to be Sloanes. They idolised Lady Di, drank in the Sloaney Pony and would have loved to be publicly labelled as a Sloane. (Even then, I shuddered at the thought. They weren't my close friends.)

- Pip

Aw, thanks for the nice comments about my rambling vague epic wittering! :)

Yes, Britain in the postwar years was a long long way behind Australia and America - I think, iirc, in 1963 only 3% of households owned a refrigerator.... which of course both reflected the fact that most people either had a woman who could shop daily or had occupants who ate out inc breakfast because cafes and tea-shops were plentiful and cheap (and a good cook was rare and many many upper-middle class women couldn't cook at all), but also forced a continuation of that kind of social set-up of women at home shopping daily and single working people eating out for all or most meals.

Bear in mind that 20th-century British towns and cities had slums and non-slums incredibly close, literally in adjacent streets - it is *entirely* possible that your aunt was living in a perfectly nice middle-class area with a notorious slum street literally at the end of the road or backing onto her gardens, etc. you did (do) of course get whole slum districts but even today there are two adjacent parts of Glasgow which have - literally - the best and worst life expectancy for males. From memory, it's something like: a boy born in one district has a life expectancy of 54 because of deprivation limiting his life chances in all kinds of ways, but a boy born in the immediately adjacent district has a life expectancy of 84 because he is statistically likely to have better nutrition and health from conception onwards, entirely due to socio-economic factors...

Digressing hugely - except that it is really easy to think of the Clothing Coupon years of the 1940s as being like the various films, or some Home Front re-enactment group we see at a weekend. In reality, we now know that the entire nation's health improved during the war because of rationing - the wealthy ate less sugar and fat, and the poor ate better everything, Babies grew up stronger because of free milk and orange juice and so on. People were far thinner than nowadays (on average, of course!), as well as quite a bit shorter, due to poor nourishment in the 20s and 30s.
    And of course, limited incomes for the majority meant they really couldn't waste money on the "wrong clothes" like we do. Sitting here glancing at my shelf full of Primark £3 tops that are so flimsy I can't actually wear them without a blouse or jumper or cardigan over them... my grandmothers would have been disgusted at my stupidity and greed and lack of thought...
    I don't even think most of them are fit for a charity shop, sadly. They only sell things in very very good condition nowadays, so I fear when I'm ready to move onto homemade blouses and get rid of most of the worst ones, they will just have to go to the textile-rag-recycling bins at the tip. Not proud of myself, but determined to at least stop adding to them.

I am determined to do better this year than last year! I have so much fabric and yarn already, and am really going to try to reach December with fewer clothes but better!

• diminua
    diminua Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just dropping in quickly on my phone to report other 5 coupons gone, this time on shoes. That takes me down to 54.

I have to say they're not the most thrilling, but are comfy and smartish for work. And I'm trying to persuade myself it will make me wear my dms or kickers outside work and not leave them languishing on the wardrobe floor.
    Fashion on the Ration 2024 - 49 coupons left
    April Grocery Challenge £14.65/£200 spent
    Declutter 52 things (net) in 2023 -41 in 78 out (15 left)
  • PipneyJane
    Your mother was right! I did a couple of practice welts, and the bias one curlicued and twisted but the grain one sits neatly flat...

The tweed is only lightly fulled, typical of a Harris tweed jacket, so the structural tailoring underneath takes all the weight and wear, and the tweed sits over that. The lining fabric is a mystery - sold on eBay as "vintage cotton curtains" I don't think it's remotely cotton - could be synthetic, might be silk... I stopped smoking so many years ago that I no longer have matches or a lighter conveniently around and it's an electric hob, so will have to carry a scrap around til I'm able to do a burn test :)

the two test welts, with the twisted, gaping bias one just visible bottom-right and the neat flat grain one in the middle!
    I'd like to match the green to be the turnover, but think that's going to take more time and effort than it's actually worth, so may just stay with the copper-rose, or maybe have the stripes offset with the lining's stripes perhaps...

53377811_10158309230829606_1540606066155323392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=e47d96c01550eb7672dd2fc2b0fa3f41&oe=5D0FB0CF
    54730372_10158309253689606_6546691492491034624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=8327482ef1846097caae4bf2b576135e&oe=5D0339AB

That lining should look great inside the jacket. It goes beautifully with the tweed, picking out colours from it. Given the weight and the sheen, I'm thinking silk, but I could be completely wrong. Either way, I can envisage you now, wandering up to a random smoker in the street and asking to borrow a light. The look on his face as your produce a scrap of fabric to burn will be priceless! :rotfl:

Yes, I see what you mean re the welts.

I'm beginning to think that, even though we were dirt poor when I was a child, my family were considerably richer than their equivalent in the UK. My dad worked in a factory; my mother was a housewife. We lived in an outer suburb, in a single-storied house, on the standard Australian quarter-acre block. The world of "Dr Blake" isn't that different. I'd estimate that his house was built in the 1930's, while our neighbourhood was built in the late 1950's/early 1960's.

Everyone I knew had a black-and-white television (Australia didn't get colour until 1976), a car (our's was ancient), a fridge and a bathroom. In an older, inner city house, you might have to access it via the back veranda, but it was still a proper bathroom. The toilet was usually separate to the bathroom and may or may not have been outside, again accessed via the veranda. We didn't get mains sewerage until the late 1970's, so some people had pan toilets - those were always outside - which were collected weekly by the "dunny man", who spread the nightsoil on a field at the back of the council dump. Everyone else had septic tanks, that had to be pumped out regularly.

- Pip

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport