PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mend a couple of buttons on a top have been seen on.
    Minimize books to League of Friends shop.
    Make do with food in cupboards and some creative substitutes of some ingredients. All meals have been edible though
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Make Do - fed us this week from the freezer. I'm trying to run my stocks down so I can defrost!!
    Mend: tear in the leg of DH's old overalls
    Minimise - two pillows to DS1 - a bit more room in my airing cupboard.
    Off to minimise some dust now!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Make do - made a massive pot of chunky veg soup from bottom of fridge veg and slightly out of date broth mix, OH loved it (though had he seen the ingredients probably would have binned most of them lol) and we have been eating it all week. Some in the freezer too for next week.

Mend - I had a clear out of my sock drawer and found loads of old trainer socks. I almost never wear trainer socks these days so have tested a fix - using my overlocker to attach sections of other trainer socks or holey socks (i always keep them just in case they could be useful ;)) just above the heel to make them into normal socks. They've since been washed which should help soften up the new seams. We will see how comfortable they are but i can't imagine they will be any less useful than they were.

Minimise - still slowly slowly sorting through my 'craft room', we temporarily have a bit more space in another room so i've moved the furniture we want rid of into there for now. It's amazing how much more space i feel like there now is (might just be me though, OH came for a look the other day and was still shaking his head at the amount of clutter! i'll get there one day...) and i've been able to shift tubs of fabric etc around so they are easier to access. Am sorting through some yarns etc for any saleable balls i am unlikely to use (i inherited bagsful from a friend's mum and just took it all as friend needed the house cleared, now finally being a bit more discerning about what i actually like) and will eb*y some soon. Few things already gone on for auction so hopefully wil be gone soon. There's a long way to go but it's an improvement.

After a discussion with OH we realised we both hate the massive fluffy 'luxury' towels we've had for the last couple of years :rotfl: neither of us feel like they dry our skin properly and prefer our older and cheap scratchier towels! So i've kept a couple of fluffy ones for use with massage/aromatherapy clients, and the rest are being given away to some friends who jumped at the offer. I'll keep my eyes open for some more rubbish scratchy towels but we have enough to get by for now.

Happy MMMing all xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    After a discussion with OH we realised we both hate the massive fluffy 'luxury' towels we've had for the last couple of years :rotfl: neither of us feel like they dry our skin properly and prefer our older and cheap scratchier towels!

We have some of those that came from late DF's house and we don't like them either! :D Much prefer the rougher ones.

This week I've minimised my hair (or at least the hairdresser has), cut long overdue since it's not been done since before Xmas. I feel like a new woman. ;)

A deodorant spray has been used up and the container recycled. And there's a body lotion that's just about on its last legs too. I have a stash of these things in a basket in the spare bedroom so I won't need to buy any replacements. :j
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Phone and broadband costs minimised yesterday with a new contract. I didn't switch providers as I'm happy with the one I have; instead I've got rid of a monthly boost charge for free anytime calls. This was a legacy from a few years ago when I was a carer for my late DF and seemed to be on the phone an awful lot on his behalf to what seemed like every man and his dog. I just never got around to cancelling it

Well, I checked our landline phone bills over the last 12 months and found we had made 40 calls (a couple of months we didn't make any). The calls were free but the monthly boost charge over that time came to a total of £63. When I costed out the calls as if I'd used my mobile, at 3p a minute it would have been the princely sum of £6.57! :mad: Lesson learned. So, although the line rental/unlimited broadband cost has gone up, by cancelling the boost I'm saving £5 per month and the price is fixed for 2 years. :):)

Now waiting for the last two pieces of the annual financial jigsaw puzzle (water rates and - hopefully - increase in final salary pension) so I can see how expenditure stacks up against income. ;)

A mend happened last night when I replaced the batteries in the TV remote.

The white stuff returned yesterday so there'll be more making do this week with food stocks we already have in instead of shopping. Much as I like a walk and a bit of fresh air, it's too parky to be out and about unless absolutely necessary. :D Plus, I'm trying to stretch 4 weeks grocery budget over 5 weeks this month. So far, it's going well. :)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Afternoon everyone,

Minimised a bag of old books which I will drop off to charity shop on Friday.
    Made chocolate cornflake cakes out of chocolate and cereals that were out of date. All ingredients looked, smelt and tasted fine. They are now setting in the fridge. Mended a button on my jacket just need putting back on securely.

Made a fertiliser spray up using black strap molasses and spring water which will help my sad looking plants on my balcony.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello MMMers

Today I went a wander round the charity shops and got a new top and cardigan - £6.99 for both :)

We had chicken curry for tea which I'd made earlier in the week from the leftover roast. I also made stock with the carcass. Did it in the slow cooker for about 10 hours and it smelt amazing. Stock is now in the freezer and will make soup with it in the next couple of weeks.

Not much else going here, am not feeling great at the moment as I'm eating gluten again before an endoscopy next week, it really doesn't agree with me :(
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10542.72/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1402.24/£1500 (93.5% saved).
  • Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My two adult children are familiar with my MMM ways, but I still have to "hold my nerve" with extended family and now my son's new in law family when I come up with ideas. I've saved egg boxes (cartons) to decorate, collected some small Easter chocolate items and I'm going to present them to my two grandchildren as their "Easter Eggs". It's something I've seen on Pinterest. They will get a wind up toy (chick and rabbit), some Lidl mini chocolate frogs and chicks, Aldi chocolate mini eggs wrapped in stripey foil, some Galaxy Golden eggs and Oreo mini eggs. I've also been buying, washing and ironing an outfit each from Charity shops. (Hand knitted wool cardigan & Cutey Couture velvet dress, jumper and a T shirt - to be added to with a pair of trousers). My DIL is completely on board with the low cost & charity shop ways and is starting to sew from scratch in a pretty impressive way, I'm just a little concerned about always appearing mean (yes, in so many words) by her family.
  • Topher, if the DiL is on board, I would be inclined to just smile & leave the rest of the family to their wasteful ways :) My memories of early childhood are to do with helping my paternal nanna in the garden, collecting conkers with my siblings, playing cowboys & Indians with my DB, going fishing with my dad, ‘helping’:o mum in the kitchen, being taught how to tell time by my uncle etc. The only ‘thing’ I remember is getting a bike for my 13th birthday!

There is only my DH & me but whenever we come into contact with children it seems that they would far sooner have your attention than a ‘thing’! Maybe we are just lucky in our family & friends:j

I hope you have a lovely time :)

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Topher wrote: »
    My DIL is completely on board with the low cost & charity shop ways and is starting to sew from scratch in a pretty impressive way, I'm just a little concerned about always appearing mean (yes, in so many words) by her family.

What about changing your discription of what you do to 'ethical' - people are so easilly swayed by words, hence the whole area of Marketing :D

To me it sounds that you've thought about each child and taken time over each gift rather than just bought the first thing marketed at a child -and you don't have to think then. I always baulk at the overpricing of chocolate (or any other seasonally packaged item), just because it is Easter chocolate (or Christmas chocolate) .
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills