PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renewal Charge - New Agent

Hi All,

Hope someone is able to give me some advice on this please?

I've been privately renting for just coming up to a year. First time I've rented in nearly 25 years, so I'm still getting up to date with the current rules and so on. I've always paid rent on time, been a good tennant etc etc.

My Landlord has just changed the managing agency from Fenn Wright to another agent. My deposit has been moved across and I've just received the renewal documentation from the new managing agent.

As well as a gentle rent increase of £15pcm, the new agent has also invoiced me £140 for the renewal documentation, with a 'good will' deduction of £50, so £90. However in the new contract, going forward it will be £140.

I understand there is usually a charge from the managing agent for this and also realise this is seen almost universally as a giant rip-off. However, as far as I am concerned, my signed agreement to cover this charge was with Fenn Wright, not with the new agent? Fenn Wrights contract said the charge would be 'a maximum of £140'.

I don't want to be awkward for the sake of being awkward, but we're nearing the middle of the school holidays and I'm a single father. That's a lot of money to be giving someone for 10 pre-formatted pages and 5 minutes on mail merge, when I'm taking my 5 year old on days out because we couldn't afford a holiday abroad this year.

So I'm thinking of gently debating the payment with them and offering a 'good will' payment of £45? I've also briefly considered amending the future renewal costs on the new contract (to £90) and signing them, but again, this seems to come off to me as 'being difficult'.

So what do you think? Should I just pay it or see if I can barter with them a little?

Kindest regards

Smurf

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The agent is irrelevant. You did not sign anything with them.

Why not just go rolling monthly and not pay anything?
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    BigSmurf wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hope someone is able to give me some advice on this please?

I've been privately renting for just coming up to a year. First time I've rented in nearly 25 years, so I'm still getting up to date with the current rules and so on. I've always paid rent on time, been a good tennant etc etc.

My Landlord has just changed the managing agency from Fenn Wright to another agent. My deposit has been moved across and I've just received the renewal documentation from the new managing agent.

As well as a gentle rent increase of £15pcm, the new agent has also invoiced me £140 for the renewal documentation, with a 'good will' deduction of £50, so £90. However in the new contract, going forward it will be £140.

I understand there is usually a charge from the managing agent for this and also realise this is seen almost universally as a giant rip-off. However, as far as I am concerned, my signed agreement to cover this charge was with Fenn Wright, not with the new agent? Fenn Wrights contract said the charge would be 'a maximum of £140'.

I don't want to be awkward for the sake of being awkward, but we're nearing the middle of the school holidays and I'm a single father. That's a lot of money to be giving someone for 10 pre-formatted pages and 5 minutes on mail merge, when I'm taking my 5 year old on days out because we couldn't afford a holiday abroad this year.

So I'm thinking of gently debating the payment with them and offering a 'good will' payment of £45? I've also briefly considered amending the future renewal costs on the new contract (to £90) and signing them, but again, this seems to come off to me as 'being difficult'.

So what do you think? Should I just pay it or see if I can barter with them a little?

Kindest regards

Smurf

Renewal fees come up frequently on the forum, in fact you're the second poster today.

1) You never had a contract with Fenn Wright. Your contract is with the landlord.

2) Your tenancy doesn't change just because the landlord has decided to change letting agents.

3) There is absolutely no legal requirement to sign a new fixed term contract every 6 months/12 months/whatever. A periodic tenancy is a perfectly valid choice. You can accept the £15pcm increase without agreeing to another fixed term, you just start paying it.

As always, read G_M's Ending/Renewing an AST: what happens when a fixed term ends? How can a LL or tenant end a tenancy? What is a periodic tenancy?
  • Thank you both for your input. I hadn't intended to be lazy with the searching, in fact I've googled my particular situation a few times with no luck, leading me to posting here as I've found the members of this forum to be so helpful in the past!

I'll do some research around the periodic tenancy. With a 5 year old, I don't suddenly want to find myself in an akward situation where I've got a months notice to leave with no recourse.

Also noted in the new agents paperwork, they have a charge for moving to a periodic tenancy as well. :mad:
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you both for your input. I hadn't intended to be lazy with the searching, in fact I've googled my particular situation a few times with no luck, leading me to posting here as I've found the members of this forum to be so helpful in the past!

I'll do some research around the periodic tenancy. With a 5 year old, I don't suddenly want to find myself in an akward situation where I've got a months notice to leave with no recourse.

Also noted in the new agents paperwork, they have a charge for moving to a periodic tenancy as well. :mad:

That's impossible, the minimum notice is two months and actual eviction is approx. 4 more after that.

Irrelevant what they want to charge you. A SPT begins by law automatically. It cannot be prevented
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Don't query the charges, don't do anything to draw attention to the situation. Just wait for it to roll on to a periodic tenancy and then it'll be too late for them to charge you anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure